IGNORED

Atari XEGS or Atari 65XE computer???

BIGHMW

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

No, the ones who understand the emotional rewards for finishing a game in the manner intended by the author, rather than the cheap and fleeting feeling of getting a high score or finishing by taking shortcuts, breaks or cheats. 

And no, I never owned any bullshit Game Genie or Game Shark either. :)

Is that the officially enshrined definition of a "real gamer"?

I rather like the idea of being able to turn the machine off and start my game where I left off the day before, week before, month before, year before...

It's not "cheap"; the Turbo Freezer 2011 currently costs $85.00. ;)

On 10/11/2020 at 1:55 PM, BIGHMW said:

my choice of getting a 65XE is simply because I have to use the keyboard to go through the menu on the Ultimate Cart

Get an AVGCART instead of an Ultimate Cart, that is controllable with a joystick.

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Well, you brought up the topic of "serious gamer." Make up your mind if it makes a difference. :)

My main point is -- whatever type of gamer a person may be considered by the gods of gaming -- not having an ECI port may limit them from having the option to utilize a desirable piece of kit.

14 minutes ago, tmp said:

just don't get it for non-ECI 65XE, i've recently learnt that for some reasons known only to atari, its cart port is too narrow(?) so shell doesn't fit, ECI 65XE should be fine

So that's the 1200XL and the 65XE that have odd cart port sizing?  Crazy.

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

So that's the 1200XL and the 65XE that have odd cart port sizing?  Crazy.

Also the XEGS doesn't like the C64 cart shells that are unfortunately the present standard for many community created A8 carts. They fit very tight and scuff/scratch the XEGS cart slot, perhaps permanently. Didn't know about the non-ECI 65XE's I'll check that when possible.

23 hours ago, Sugarland said:

Also the XEGS doesn't like the C64 cart shells that are unfortunately the present standard for many community created A8 carts. They fit very tight and scuff/scratch the XEGS cart slot, perhaps permanently. Didn't know about the non-ECI 65XE's I'll check that when possible.

I not certain by what you mean by 64 cart shells.  Anyway, I have had a XEGS for 20 years or so, have almost all the cart ever produced, and never have had an issue with insertion/extraction of any cart.  

28 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

Commodore 64 cartridge shells are wider, causing difficulty inserting into a 1200XL or XEGS cart slot. Side2's cart shell is one example.

Okay.  Maybe aftermarket shells, those that were not 'originally' designed for the Atari XEGS (such as an adapted Side2 cart) may not fit properly.  However, all the carts that were manufacturer back in the day, do fit nicely. 

2 hours ago, fimbulvetr said:

My Ultimate Cart is controllable by a joystick.

Is the Ultimate Cart really controllable with a joystick also as opposed to having to have the unit up close for that purpose with the keyboard??? Because as I saw in that video I posted he had to have the keyboard up front in order to be able to navigate through all the games on that cart, however, he was using an XE computer and not the XEGS. That was the reason why I chose to get the 65XE as opposed to the XEGS. Is there a difference as either way I would have to have both the unit (console) in front of me for the onboard reset/start/option buttons.

Good. Then now the 65XE is only weeks away for me, it's just a matter of saving up my $$$, plus with the good news I keep hearing (and reading) on the 7800 Concerto SD cart this is gonna make things easier, however, I will not make any announcements on YouTube nor issue any press releases on the 7800 and 8-bit versions of The Atari Report until I actually have both the hardware (and both the 8-bit Ultimate Cart and 7800 Concerto) physically in my hands!!!

Still plenty of time for you guys to change my mind as far as either an XEGS or the 65XE, so I'm still open to opinions while still having made up my mind, as eBay prices for used XEGS systems are ridiculous right now, that, is why i am siding with the 65XE, from Best Electronics as well as the 8-bit Ultimate Cart, as it takes (and all of my files are) .xex files so there should not be any major snafus as far as compatibility is concerned.

Edited by BIGHMW

17 minutes ago, AHA said:

i also have the ultimate cart (love it) and yes its controllable with a joystick - dont use the keyboard at all for selecting and loading files...

In that case, will the fire button act as a start or reset button so I don't ever have to pull out the console except for powering it on/off or for rebooting the Ultimate Cart with its built-in button when switching games/files???

That would perhaps sway me over to the XEGS despite the hefty price tags for them on eBay. The separate keyboard can then simply rest stored inside of a drawer and I'll never need to break it out and connect it except for games that utilize it, i.e. like Star Raiders

Edited by BIGHMW

@flashjazzcat has a couple of multicart comparison videos where -- among other important details -- he talks about which carts have joystick interface operation and how well they work with it.

The videos focus a lot on XEX loading (as this is the main point of them), but there are plenty other useful details about the carts, which can be helpful to know before purchasing one of them.

Atari 8-bit Multicart FAT XEX Loader Shoot-Out Part 1

Atari 8-bit Multicart FAT XEX Loader Shoot-Out Part 2