IGNORED

Uncle Hairy's Nosehair

atari2600land

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

Animations fixed.

Do people in PAL land have PAL or PAL 60? In PAL 60 mode on Stella the game works fine, but in PAL mode, there is a slight disturbance right before the nosehair gets to the bottom. I have 493 bytes left for a 2k game.

nosehair8.bin 2 kB · 2 downloads

I prefer the PAL60 versions on my PAL Setup, but I am not sure if some older PAL CRTs having issues with PAL60

btw. is the binary with PAL colors ?

31 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

@atari2600land Any chance you sending me some quick instructions so I can add them to the PlusCart to go with the game? I've been slowly adding instructions to all games that are new so phones have a manual sort before they play. I know this is very much under construction, do want you can for me please.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I need to figure out what to do in the game before I can make some instructions.

The game has NTSC colors since I have NTSC.

How is this for a game:

The scissors you control collect the boxes that show up for points. The amount of points depends on how quickly the scissors gets to the box. The scissors must also avoid the nosehalr demon. When the scissors touch the nosehair demon, the nosehair grows faster than it usually does. Once the nosehair gets down to the bottom of the screen, the game is over, so the scissors must also in addition to getting boxes and avoiding the nosehair demon, cut the nosehair by pressing fire so it doesn't end the game.

• Like 1

Tested the game on real hardware. Noticed a few bugs. On my TV there's a slight upwards bump when the hair gets to the bottom and it starts the game over sound. But it doesn't do it in Stella, which is really annoying. I noticed I fixed the bump in the PAL version, but the colors changed to grayscale for a frame or two before reverting back to what they were before. I don't know if that's Stella or not. PAL-60 has always been "fine". I'm thinking about changing the colors and making separate PAL and SECAM versions when the game is finished.

nosehair10.bin

I made a website for the game. Where you can find the latest binary and stuff. Here is a list of things I fixed:

• Made it so the nosehair actually goes down to the end of the screen. The death thing started playing when it almost reached the end.
  • Fixed the bumps in the game that happened when you played it on a real NTSC Atari 2600. The scanline count seems to be steady at 262.
  • Experimented with the nosehair speed. I think this is the fastest it can go.

nosehair12.bin

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I can't get it a stable 262 scanlines.

I'm not really sure how you are managing the overscan, but it seems that it would be better to distribute your "out of arena" code between the vertical blank and the overscan, and to set a timer at the beginning of each of them and a wait loop at the end of them. This way, you'll be sure how many scan lines are used on both sections. This is if the arena uses a constant number of scan lines.

I just remembered I can't make two arrow presses and another key press on the keyboard. Which doesn't seem to be fair since we're living in a technologically advanced age. Oh well.

Changes:

• Nosehair begins getting longer at the start.
  • Nosehair demon begins moving at the start.
  • Resetting now has a 262 scanline count.
  • Nosehair demon's "default" direction is left (default in quotes because I didn't really change it all that much.

And it's technically a game now! I got 37 points in this version. Now let's improve on the game! I have 166 bytes left. Any suggestions or feedback or (gulp!) bug reports?

nosehair15.png

nosehair15.bin

I tried this latest version and found this glitch:

image.png.88b8aeb1f884805127fc01bcc894bcec.png

This happens when the last digit is 4 (1 bar) or 5 to 9 (3 bars). I guess it is because there is a page boundary in the middle of the digit's bitmaps (the first one starts at $FEE9 and finishes at ~$FF1A). Also, I found an extra bit in one of the flipped 6 digit (it says %01000110 instead of %01000100).

I couldn't assemble your sources, I got an illegal opcode error. Which version of DASM are you using?

BTW, I got 30 points at my first try:

nosehair16_8.png.3dc59d5bc50a454294502f29599a3617.png

9 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Wondered how some title screen music would sound. So I added some in.

It sounds scary!!! Too loud, but I like it...

9 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I have 39 bytes left now.

I'd add a bit of A.I. to the demon, in order to prefer the hairy area and to run for the box when it appears.

++V

6 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I hate Stella. I tried this version on a Harmony cart and the scanline was jumping like jumping beans. WHY?!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I'm sure this will help us find and fix bugs, and generally feel better about all the work we put into the project.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...