IGNORED

Uncle Hairy's Nosehair

atari2600land

OK, I'm stuck. I have absolutely zero idea how @SpiceWare did the drawing score routine. But I wanted to add something else to the game, and I figured out how to display the score without the flipped numbers, but there's a gap in the middle of it. So I'm wondering if it's possible to move the score over to the right so there's no gap, like in my mockup here.

nosehairmockup.png.746b585c3010613ce87b3bd48fe84860.png

But like I said before, I have no idea how the score is being displayed. The code for it begins at line 1,317 in my code if you want to take a look. I attached the asm code and a binary in the zip file here.

nosehair38a.zip

I personally think the nose hair grows too fast at the beginning. Even from the start of the game I find myself spending most of my time hanging around the nose hair. And the hair seems to grow so fast that a lot of times I don't have enough time to move to the other side of the screen to grab a box (and this is right at the beginning of the game).

It would be great if the nose hair was slowed down a little at the beginning (so I don't instantly have an anxiety attack with a super fast growing nose hair ?). Then gradually got faster the more points you get

462 points in my first try on version 38.

On 1/23/2021 at 5:46 AM, atari2600land said:

I added in the subtraction of points if the demon gets the box.

That was on version 36? On version 38, the score loses points until the box is got by any of the two, and sometimes is better to let the demon get the box and loose few points instead of the live. The demon should substract 10 if he gets the box.?

New stuff:

• Nosehair begins slower.
  • Demon takes away 10 points if he gets the box.

In case you were wondering, I was having trouble with collisions. The box didn't go away after it collided with something, thus causing the scores to double. So I put a pointer to the sprite positioning code part right after I wanted the box to go away. This caused the thing to not collide twice (thus causing the score to double.)

nosehair39.bin

A few things I notice.

Now that the Monster takes away 10 points every time he grabs a box, I found it really hard to get a score. I must have been unlucky, but it seemed like more then half the boxes spawned right next to the "Nose Goblin".

At first I couldn't get a score higher then 80 (because the monster kept on Zeroing me). But then I used the strategy of actually staying close to the monster with hopes of grabbing the Box before he does when it appeared near him. I was then able to get a score up to 180.

The game now became more of a battle between me and the Nose Goblin. Every time I had to go back to cut the hair I was for sure going to lose 10 points(because it was inevitable that a box would spawn when I was away)?

Edited by Skwrl63

1174 in version 39. It was my first try in this version and I could continue but I had to pay attention to my phone :( and I don't know if at that score the hair grouth is at maximum speed.

BTW, I played it in a real console with a joystick. I think that it would be hard to get that score in the emulator using arrow keys.

3 hours ago, Skwrl63 said:

The game now became more of a battle between me and the Nose Goblin.

Yes, it's a battle against the demon, but it is not an impossible mision. The demon got about 5 boxes during my game. You just need a proper strategy. 

14 hours ago, atari2600land said:

OK, I'm stuck. I have absolutely zero idea how @SpiceWare did the drawing score routine. But I wanted to add something else to the game, and I figured out how to display the score without the flipped numbers, but there's a gap in the middle of it.

Due to how the playfield works you need to use the flipped numbers, without them a score of 1234 is displayed like this (I changed the score value in RAM using Stella's debugger):

1416995147_ScreenShot2021-01-25at10_38_00AM.thumb.png.3e150a280917139296a017abcfb9a2e0.png

14 hours ago, atari2600land said:

So I'm wondering if it's possible to move the score over to the right so there's no gap, like in my mockup here.

nosehairmockup.png.746b585c3010613ce87b3bd48fe84860.png

The current routine uses PF2 to show all the digits, so it gets updated twice per scanline. To shift it would require drawing the score using PF1 and PF2. They would also need to be zeroed out for the left side, so both PF1 and PF2 would need to be updated twice per scanline. You'll still need to use the flipped digits as well.

This happens when Frame is an even number (so about 30 times per second):

The variable NoseHairSpeedTimer increases.

When it gets to 250, the variable NoseHairSpeedTimerSecs increases, and the variable NoseHairSpeedTimer resets to 0.

When NoseHairSpeedTimerSecs reaches 7, the variable NoseHairGrowTimerLimit gets decreased if it's greater than five.

If NoseHairGrowTimer equals NoseHairGrowTimerLimit, the nosehair gets a pixel longer.

It's very complicates, but needs to be since I can only use 8-bit numbers.

I did it. I got the color change in as well as the music.

I also fixed a bug. As a result, you can only cut with the scissors if the scissors are touching the hair. Otherwise, if you press fire and aren't touching the hair, nothing happens. The bug was you could repeatedly press fire and move down and the nosehair would grow as fast as you were moving down.

nosehair41.bin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I did it. I got the color change in as well as the music.

I also fixed a bug. As a result, you can only cut with the scissors if the scissors are touching the hair. Otherwise, if you press fire and aren't touching the hair, nothing happens. The bug was you could repeatedly press fire and move down and the nosehair would grow as fast as you were moving down.

Found a bug in the newest build, if you cut the hair but keep the button pressed down, the hair will no longer grow until you touch it again. This allows you to roam free without fearing the hair reaching the bottom.

- James

34 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Found a bug in the newest build, if you cut the hair but keep the button pressed down, the hair will no longer grow until you touch it again. This allows you to roam free without fearing the hair reaching the bottom.

I can confirm this... and I want to add that the hair is being cut some pixels above or bellow the csissors, depending on being touched by the demon or not. You can also move up shortening the hair while the button is pressed. Very erratic!

3 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I think I fixed it. Let me know if other bugs happen.

Nope. This is what I see:

- Scissors halt at the button press, even when there is no hair in contact. Was that intended?

- Sometimes, when you get in touch with the demon, the cut happens more far to the cut point. It is like it is remembering the extra pixels for the speedup when touching the demon.

- As a result, if you cut the hair just at the bottom, the hair increase its size!

I go down to the bottom and I touch the demon and I keep cutting and every cut doesn't make the hair increase, so I have no idea what is going on. Nevertheless, I tried to fix the problem even though it is like shooting fish in a barrel blindfolded with a wolverine gnawing at my leg. So I put the code in as well in case this doesn't fix it.

nosehair2021_01_29_v2.zip

It's strange. Sometimes it begins to cut in an upper point, and sometimes in a lower one. I haven't figured out what action triggers one behavior or the other. It might be because sometimes the box is present when the csissors touches the demon and sometimes it is not there. You need to play for a while to see what I mean, it is not immediate, so it could the timer be included in the soup.