IGNORED

Diagnosing PAL-only issue in PlusCart on 7800

Andrew Davie

The 7800 crashed after a few minutes, and when I restarted it it started with the inbuild Asteroids. So I pulled out the Cartridge and removed @Andrew Davie's beautiful 3D printed case and plugged in the naked PlusCart PCB into the slot.

IMG_20201020_003616.jpg

IMG_20201020_003618.jpg

I think the cartridge slot and contacts needs to be cleaned..

Edited by Al_Nafuur

On 10/19/2020 at 6:42 PM, Al_Nafuur said:

The 7800 crashed after a few minutes, and when I restarted it it started with the inbuild Asteroids. So I pulled out the Cartridge and removed @Andrew Davie's beautiful 3D printed case and plugged in the naked PlusCart PCB into the slot.

I think the cartridge slot and contacts needs to be cleaned..

Working with the 3D printed cartridge case off likely means the case is a bit too thick for the slot holder.  Some 7800 console slot holders are slightly narrower than others.  It's enough to give 3rd party cartridges such as Imagic, that are a tad bit thicker than the Atari first party standard, a tough time to work, if at all.

You can try shaving the cartridge holder sleeve, or take an exacto knife to the sides to widen/loosen the grip, inside the system.

Or see this as an alternative 'fix':

• Like 1

I've just received another PAL 7800 to video mod, its the same revision board as mine, but the OS ROM is an EPROM,  doesnt seem to have been opened before so is stock.

Doesnt have the embossed Atari logo on the metal strip, its just screen printed.

W5 jumper is set differently to the others I've worked on.  Thinking this has a different OS revision.

PCB date code of 3293, long after the 1 January 1992 date supposedly all 8 bit Ataris were discontinued.

Will be able to test the Pluscart on this one on Saturday when its working. Wish I'd seen the above post before I'd stripped it down.

P1040946.JPG

• Like 3

That's potentially interesting. So not only is that machine dated after the 7800 had supposedly finished production, it has the C300558 bios EPROM which as far as I can tell is the prototype Asteroids bios that can also go into an NTSC machine... http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/system.php?machine=a7800

EDIT: I take it back, that's the same number that's on our ROM chips in both our 7800s. Damn.

I'm going to take over a load of my carts on Weds to see what does and doesn't work on it.

Muddy1.thumb.jpg.a9a9c1d7f32e2c76525339eec8521140.jpg

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1