IGNORED

Theoretical Question : Sampled Sound

Muddyfunster

10 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Would it be possible to play a sample sound on the 7800 via stock hardware, or via Pokey/XM ?

I'm thinking just 1 or 2 simple short sounds.

Would it be too processor intensive?

Possible? Yes...stock hardware...

Soft Cell - Tainted Love (Music Demo) (20140311).a78

The above is 512K and max for both animation is concerned as well as processor utilization. 

However, for short and brief samples, we have the examples in homebrews such as Astro Blaster and Frenzy/Berzerk

Astro Blaster features a flashing title screen while playing back the voice sample statement: "Fighter pilots needed in sector wars...Play Astro Blaster."  In Frenzy/Berzerk, all the animation freezes anytime the various voice sample clips play.

It is very processor intensive, and I wouldn't expect much else (if anything) to be happening while the sample is playing.

• Thanks 3

Thanks guys,

I was taking a break from EXO the other night and I was looking at a project that specifically has an iconic death SFX and I wanted to know if it could be done on the 7800. I'm not the most clued up person when it comes to SFX and Music. It seems that it could be done :) going to park it in the "interesting projects box" for now and maybe I'll revisit that another time, once I've finished EXO and Danger Zone.

• Like 2