IGNORED

Troubleshooting TI 99/4A QI video RAM

lgallair

A TI 99/4A QI computer recently came into my possession but sadly it has video RAM issues.  According to this website, the issue is bit 5 is stuck at 0 because that screen shot is exactly the same screen I get.  My problem is I do not know which chip to replace.  The diagram shows the chip locations for a non-QI model.  Does anyone know which 4116 chip represents the bit 5 circuit on a QI board layout?

11 minutes ago, lgallair said:

A TI 99/4A QI computer recently came into my possession but sadly it has video RAM issues.  According to this website, the issue is bit 5 is stuck at 0 because that screen shot is exactly the same screen I get.  My problem is I do not know which chip to replace.  The diagram shows the chip locations for a non-QI model.  Does anyone know which 4116 chip represents the bit 5 circuit on a QI board layout?

From the same page (below the examples) shows which bit is which chip. to test the theory try piggybacking a good chip on top of the old one 

Vram.jpghttps://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/File:Vram.jpg

The image shows the bit numbers on the circuits. Note that Texas Instruments uses a big-endian bit order, i.e. bit 0 is the most significant bit (27), and bit 7 is the least significant bit (20). Accordingly, if your failure symptom is Mask 11011111, this means bit 2 is stuck at 0.

• Like 1

Hokay, for what it's worth! Here's a clip of the 99/4A schematic and board layout, with RD line 2 called out. It goes from pin 30 of U100 (TMS9918) to pin 14 of U106 (4116 RAM). Seems to agree with the pic blaming the 5th 4116 from the left as the faulty chip.

So, just trace out pin 30 on the QI's 9918 to whichever 4116 it leads to. Stick one DMM probe to 9918 pin 30 and check each 4116's pin 14 in turn. Only one chip should have continuity. I leave it to you to figure out which pins those are. Aw, heck, I looked that info up too. :) I don't have a QI schem or layout, which would have made it all much easier!

TI99-4A RAM.jpg

TI99_4A RAM layout.jpg

TI99-4A 9918 pinout.jpg

TI99-4A 4116 pinout.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Yes, changed! Now (more correctly) in respective order.:grin:

D0=U9 ram IC located closest to the video port.

D7=U16 ram IC located closest to keyboard connector.

U11 for the win! All we need now is the board pic called out like on Ninerpedia.

Edit: Or is that too obvious? :dunce:

Edited by Ed in SoDak

2 hours ago, Ed in SoDak said:

Thanks Homey!

Hmm, Your TI-99/4A parts placement diagram differs from the one in my book somewhat. Particularly around the VDP XTAL.

Here's another copy of the book I'm using...

https://archive.org/details/TI994AConsoleAndPeripheralExpansionSystemTechnicalData/page/n17/mode/2up

I didn't know we were HOMEIES!:lust: ...much Love.;)

Hmm, reviewing this thread in it's totality...

@lgallair, most likely did review this page --https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Troubleshooting--. In which case, it's fair to assume he is correct in diagnosing bit 5 as the culprit.(not bit 2).:roll:

So, in contradiction to our previous posts. The following would be correct... 

DIAGRAMREDLINEDb5.thumb.JPG.375d0d719e93c6b33a467099fb738ac0.JPG

PLACEMENTREDLINEDb5.thumb.JPG.da93eaeefa4f4d84b39f191298d41151.JPG

:ponder:

3 hours ago, mizapf said:

If someone could do a good photograph of a QI board, we can add that to Ninerpedia with the appropriate chip numbering.

I have a few more days till my Vaca is over, if no one had posted one by then, I have a Q1 already out of the case (non working), I can take a photo or two then. Monday or Tuesday.

Edited by RickyDean
spelling

Thanks for all the help guys.  I recently upgraded the RAM in my Joust cocktail with 4146 so I have a bunch of 4116 RAM's to try.  Was going to piggy back onto the offending RAM chip when all of a sudden, the power board went "poof" before I could even try.  After the little tiny puff of smoke dissipated, I could not identify what exactly blew.  I'm guessing an electrolytic cap.  There is a small burn mark on the white wire which goes to the two-pin power connector.  So I'm off to Digi-Key for some caps and am going to re-cap all 10 or 11 caps on the power board.

Now I have at least two problems with the TI-99.  Sheesh!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I recapped the power supply and now the power on all rails is good except for the -5V rail.  It's fluctuating around -3.3v to -3.5v.  I'm not sure how to get the voltage within spec.  There's a variable pot but adjusting that seems to only change the +5v rail.  I had a PC power supply sitting around with the proper voltages (+5v, +12v, and -5v) so I hooked it up to the motherboard.  It booted up to the same screen as before.  I piggy-backed a 4116 RAM chip on each 4116 chip on the board in succession and determined the faulty chip.  I de-soldered it and replaced with a socketed ram chip.  I'm so happy the blown cap didn't damage the main pcb.

• Like 4

On 10/28/2020 at 10:05 PM, lgallair said:

I recapped the power supply and now the power on all rails is good except for the -5V rail.  It's fluctuating around -3.3v to -3.5v.  I'm not sure how to get the voltage within spec.  There's a variable pot but adjusting that seems to only change the +5v rail.  I had a PC power supply sitting around with the proper voltages (+5v, +12v, and -5v) so I hooked it up to the motherboard.  It booted up to the same screen as before.  I piggy-backed a 4116 RAM chip on each 4116 chip on the board in succession and determined the faulty chip.  I de-soldered it and replaced with a socketed ram chip.  I'm so happy the blown cap didn't damage the main pcb.

Check the 7905 regulator voltages in and out.  If the input is good, I think -8 or less and the output is bad, it is likely the regulator.  If the input is bad, you need to check components before it.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I know this is off-topic but please allow me piggy-back on an active thread: 

I salvaged a TI99 4A/QI from being thrown to the garbage, and I am about to refurbish it, but I miss the transformer. Unfortunately, I cannot find the exact voltage or the schematic for the QI power supply. From what I read I believe it is 16V AC. Anyone with either knowledge or pointers on how to proceed? Can one measure the voltage on the AC adapter?

Many thanks!

I know this is off-topic but please allow me piggy-back on an active thread: 

I salvaged a TI99 4A/QI from being thrown to the garbage, and I am about to refurbish it, but I miss the transformer. Unfortunately, I cannot find the exact voltage or the schematic for the QI power supply. From what I read I believe it is 16V AC. Anyone with either knowledge or pointers on how to proceed? Can one measure the voltage on the AC adapter?

Many thanks!
The qi supply works with the original transformer. It only uses one of the 2 ac power connections the 16vac one

http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/power_supply.html

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 2