IGNORED

Midnight Mutants! Is the screen flicker normal?

Pac-Lander

Finally scored a copy of Midnight Mutants, and am really digging it. 

But one thing that I've noticed is that the entire screen flickers, like once I get past the intro screens and into the actual game. This isn't happening on any other of my games on the screen I'm playing on, and I'm wondering if this is normal? Is this part of the design of the game? It's kind of like a "pulsing" screen flicker. 

Anyone else have this "issue"?

31 minutes ago, aaron1677 said:

...the entire screen flickers...I'm wondering if this is normal? No.

...Is this part of the design of the game? No.

...Anyone else have this "issue"? No.

If all your other carts behave fine, it is likely a problem with the cartridge itself.  Bit rot or something else perhaps.

*I never experienced it with an original retail cart or as part of the 30th Anniversary Edition Multicart #2 collection, tried under 5 different NTSC consoles, from serials "AT84", "A1"(x2), "A3", and "X".

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

If all your other carts behave fine, it is likely a problem with the cartridge itself.  Bit rot or something else perhaps.

*I never experienced it with an original retail cart or as part of the 30th Anniversary Edition Multicart #2 collection, tried under 5 different NTSC consoles, from serials "AT84", "A1"(x2), "A3", and "X".

Interesting. The description on eBay was "very good" condition. Can something like this be fixed?

11 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Would a PAL version of this game behave this way per chance? Maybe you landed one of them unknowingly. 

PAL version would not run on an NTSC machine as it is missing the encryption check.

NTSC version running on a PAL machine is a possibility, though I don't believe it would play very far, if at all.  Likely, it wouldn't pass the intro.

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Same here...my original cart and 30th Anniversary Multicart #2 work fine on all three of my consoles..."A1" (x2, one is modded) and an "A3".

Sorry to hear that your experiencing this. Midnight Mutants is one of my favorite 7800 games.