On 10/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Tillek said:

I'd be in the market for another Mega STE to replace the one that got hit in a lightning strike if you'd like to let me know your asking price.

Whoa!  Sorry to hear that.  How badly did it get damaged?  I always thought the fuse in the PSU would blow before the mainboard would be affected.

It actually hit the box for the AT&T U-Verse.  Apparently it hit a metal pole or pipe on the side of the building next door (across the driveway) and then arced to the box.  It was so bad that it blew the cover right off the box and sent it flying across the driveway and straight through one of the basement windows of that building (or landlord owned both and the property manager lived in that building and showed it to me the next day).

Some of my neighbors in the building lost a TV or a computer and their AT&T Gateway.  I lost the gateway, my Roku Ultra (and the "even covers acts of God" warranty had JUST expired) and my Mega STE and network switch.  This was the BBS machine, so I'm guessing it came in either through the Lantronix box (that actually kept working for awhile but then started getting flaky and died a few months later) or the EtherNec, which was totally dead... so serial or cartridge.  The network switch wasn't completely dead, just the ports that had actually been connected to something.  The main PC survived, and I remember reading later that the on board network port on that one actually did have some protection (apparently enough) against something like that.  It didn't kill every single device though... the 800xl/MIO/Lantronix BBS wasn't damaged at all and was perfectly fine once I switched it to a different port on the switch.

Even sadder, I lost a Falcon (at the time, the BBS was running on that machine) to the same thing about 4 years prior... so .... Lightning does indeed strike twice.

This Mega STE loss was even sadder as it was my "daily driver" when I didn't even have a PC and BBS machine from back in the 90's.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Tillek said:

Even sadder, I lost a Falcon (at the time, the BBS was running on that machine) to the same thing about 4 years prior... so .... Lightning does indeed strike twice.

This Mega STE loss was even sadder as it was my "daily driver" when I didn't even have a PC and BBS machine from back in the 90's.

Ouch on the Falcon...

Looks like Best still has motherboards for the Mega STE. Why don’t you get one?