IGNORED

I need some 7800 recommendations!

HDN

Hello, all. On August 31st of this year, I purchased a 7800 that came in my local game store. I also bought a few more games for it with the last of my Christmas money I got from relatives last year. Since I don't have a job yet (I'm 15; was going to get one this year but COVID happened), I can't buy any more video games until Christmas and my birthday. I was wondering if anyone here at AtariAge had any recommendations for me to get for the system! I would love for some folks to point me in the right direction and recommend some great games that you think I will enjoy playing! I really like golden age arcade games and am always looking to expand my arcade cartridge collection. I also like other styles of games, too, and am open to almost any recommendations.

Since I'm new to this site, I will tell you all what games I currently own for my Atari 7800 ProSystem:

• Pole Position II
  • Food Fight
  • Galaga
  • Xevious
  • One-on-One Basketball
  • Karateka

Thank you all for helping me out!

• Like 4

Nice to see someone else about my age who enjoys the 7800. That just shows the long lasting appeal these games have. But anyway, here's a few recommendations.

Asteroids

Centipede

Choplifter

Commando (somewhat hard to find, feel free to just emulate it)

Dig Dug

Donkey Kong Jr.

Joust

Mario Bros.

Ms. Pac-Man

Robotron 2084

Xenophobe

If you got the money for homebrew games, there's plenty of great arcade ports that you can get here on AtariAge. May I recommend Froggie and Pac-Man Collection?

• Thanks 1

You have some very good recommendations, @Jaden (JRH)! Mario Brothers and BallBlazer are on the top of my wanted list! I hope that I might get them for Christmas this year.

14 minutes ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Xenophobe

I have never played any version of this game before. If I remember correctly the 7800 is the only one of the three main ports on home consoles (7800, 2600, NES) that has simultaneous multiplayer? Maybe that was the NES port, but I am pretty sure it was the 7800 version.

17 minutes ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

If you got the money for homebrew games, there's plenty of great arcade ports that you can get here on AtariAge. May I recommend Froggie and Pac-Man Collection?

Homebrew is definitely something I'm looking to get into someday, however probably not those two. Pac-Man Collection is all fine and good, though I would rather just play Ms. Pac-Man (as it's the best one!). I am not a terribly big fan of Frogger either. However, I am looking to get Frenzy sometime as I have never played any version of it and I really like Berzerk. KC Munchkin as well.

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

Big Congrats on finding a 7800 in the 'wild', at a game store.  Fairly rare these days.  

It's a great retro game store. It's about a half hour drive from where I live. The prices are fair I believe and they have a great selection. The people there are very friendly.

Here's a thread about the store I posted on the Atari I/O:

https://forums.atari.io/topic/5061-my-last-trip-to-game-trade-for-the-time-being/

You can see some pictures of the store there and some of the things they have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HDN said:

It's a great retro game store. It's about a half hour drive from where I live. The prices are fair I believe and they have a great selection. The people there are very friendly.

https://forums.atari.io/topic/5061-my-last-trip-to-game-trade-for-the-time-being/

thanks for the link. I am floored!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HDN said:

Thanks for the tip! I’ll check it out next time I’m up that way.

• Like 1

Today is a very special day. According to Postman Pat (er, the USPS tracking website), my bundle of Atari 7800 games from @cjherr is almost CJ-here! Yes, CJ very generously sent me a buttload of amazing 7800 cartridges free of charge. Seriously, man, I can't thank you enough.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Indiana Quack said:

Grab a copy of Centipede too Only version I know of where two players can play on the screen at the same time! The 7800 did right by doing that!

Yes! If you get a track-ball, you’ll certainly want a copy of the homebrew, Centipede TB.

• Like 1

I will need to pick that trackball version up someday as well as a trackball! Centipede is amazing with an actual trackball controller, though it isn't 100% necessary to enjoy it like some other games are. For instance, if I played the arcade ROM of Centipede using the stick on an XBOX controller, it won't be as good as a trackball, but it'll still be good. But if I played the arcade version of Crystal Castles using the same controller, YEESH! I'll pass.

So getting a trackball for use on the 7800 and those trackball-specific games seems worth it. I was actually thinking of getting a 5200 someday for the trackball games on that, though I wouldn't get the SuperSystem anytime soon.

I assume trackball controllers like the Sega Sports Pad and the Atari ProLine Trackball would work with that game? Not that I have them in my collection, but it's nice to know.

And yes, Centipede is in the box already for anyone who's wondering.

1 hour ago, HDN said:

I assume trackball controllers like the Sega Sports Pad and the Atari ProLine Trackball would work with that game?

It supports the CX-22 and CX-80 trak-balls. Be careful if/when you purchase a CX22. The bottom of the case has a slot for a switch (joystick vs trak-ball mode) and some of the trak-balls do not have an actual switch, and will default to joystick mode. You can read all about it here.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Alectmc said:

Check on eBay for this one, Ballblazer, IMO, is an underrated game. I have easily put most of my time on my 7800 playing Ballblazer, very good game and it has a POKEY chip which makes the sound effects and music awesome!

Ballblazer and Mario Brothers are next on my list!

• Like 1

Honestly, the homebrew library here generally beats anything from back in the day, particularly if you love arcade games, which I'll confine my recommendations to. Here's my picks for Arcade games from the AA store and why:

1. Pac Man Collection: Pac Man, Ms Pac, Hangly Man, Pac Man Plus etc all on one cart plus a mode with random mazes, and tons of settings to tweak it to your liking. It's fantastic, and the most bang for your buck you will find. Buy it.

2. Baby Pac Man: The ONLY home port of this obscure pinball/arcade game hybrid. Also, it's completely awesome (as are any of the Pac games by Bob, Jr and Super are excellent as well).

3. Moon Cresta: Perfect port of a highly underrated (and tough) arcade title. This is so good that I sold my actual arcade game of it after it came out, no joke.

4. Frenzy: Berzerk and it's underrated sequel on one cart? Yessir. It's damn near arcade perfect too. With the voices. 

5. Space Duel: Oldie but goodie, this is the also the only home cart port of this game, which basically perfects the old Asteroids formula. Tough and really fun. Gets forgotten with all of Bob's newer games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

1. Pac Man Collection: Pac Man, Ms Pac, Hangly Man, Pac Man Plus etc all on one cart plus a mode with random mazes, and tons of settings to tweak it to your liking. It's fantastic, and the most bang for your buck you will find. Buy it.

Here's the deal:

I'm a big Ms. Pac-Man fan.

Of all the other Pac-Man games where you eat dots (Not Super and Pac n Pal), Ms. Pac-Man is my favorite.

The only reason I play the other games is if Ms. Pac-Man isn't an option.

just got Ms. Pac-Man from @cjherr.

I don't need the speed mode or anything as I feel the original cart is a fantastic port by itself.

I would rather get a more different Pac-Man game, like Super or Baby.

Sorry if I sounded a bit rude there. I'm just trying to get my point across. Thanks for the recommendations.

23 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

4. Frenzy: Berzerk and it's underrated sequel on one cart? Yessir. It's damn near arcade perfect too. With the voices. 

I really want that game! I wanted to get a ColecoVison for Frenzy as it looks really cool, but this version looks even better. Plus, it has the voices, which is really cool. Berzerk being there only sweetens the pot.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:59 AM, HDN said:

Here's the deal:

I'm a big Ms. Pac-Man fan.

Of all the other Pac-Man games where you eat dots (Not Super and Pac n Pal), Ms. Pac-Man is my favorite.

The only reason I play the other games is if Ms. Pac-Man isn't an option.

just got Ms. Pac-Man from @cjherr.

I don't need the speed mode or anything as I feel the original cart is a fantastic port by itself.

I would rather get a more different Pac-Man game, like Super or Baby.

Sorry if I sounded a bit rude there. I'm just trying to get my point across. Thanks for the recommendations

Not rude at all, just personal preference. You'll really enjoy the Super Pac port then. It's also outstanding and MY personal favorite of the original Pac games. This one is just about arcade perfect too. This and Baby will keep you covered if you're not into the original.

Another great game that no one mentions much that's an exclusive is 'Failsafe' (an unofficial sequel to the 8-bit Countermeasure). Think of it as single player Combat with different levels where you're trying to find the pass code to disable armageddon. Really fun, though not an arcade port, even if it is very 'arcade like' in gameplay.

• Like 1