IGNORED

I need some 7800 recommendations!

HDN

I was listening to the 7800 homebrew podcast episode on Baby Pac-Man. Looks to be worth a pick-up sometime.

I don't think I have posted this here before, but here's the pick-up video I did on my games from @cjherr. I know I sent him the video. Seriously, dude. I can't thank you enough! This was INCREDIBLY nice of you! In this video, you can see what games he sent me. I can't express how thankful and lucky I am! I know I sound like a broken record, but THANK YOU!

• Like 2

No love for Ninja Golf and Alien Brigade? Those are two of my favourites. I don't have an actual 7800 but I have them on Evercade and love them.

7800 arcade ports are pretty consistently great. Personal favourites are Asteroids and Centipede... again from my relatively limited experience on Evercade :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Retail Recommendations:

Homebrew Recommendations:

Since the above was produced, add Baby Pac-Man, Froggie, and Rikki & Vikki to the homebrew list, in which the game has been made available on cart and comes highly recommended.

Note too, there are many games in development that are at various stages of WIP or/and have yet to have a cartridge release.  There's much to look forward to and still acquire for the 7800 on top of the above mentions.

• Like 7

On 10/13/2020 at 6:23 PM, HDN said:

Hello, all. On August 31st of this year, I purchased a 7800 that came in my local game store. I also bought a few more games for it with the last of my Christmas money I got from relatives last year. Since I don't have a job yet (I'm 15; was going to get one this year but COVID happened), I can't buy any more video games until Christmas and my birthday. I was wondering if anyone here at AtariAge had any recommendations for me to get for the system! I would love for some folks to point me in the right direction and recommend some great games that you think I will enjoy playing! I really like golden age arcade games and am always looking to expand my arcade cartridge collection. I also like other styles of games, too, and am open to almost any recommendations.

Since I'm new to this site, I will tell you all what games I currently own for my Atari 7800 ProSystem:

• Pole Position II
  • Food Fight
  • Galaga
  • Xevious
  • One-on-One Basketball
  • Karateka

Thank you all for helping me out!

- Ninja Golf (fighting game: 9/10)

- Commando (top-down view shooter: 9,5/10)

- Motor Psycho (motor-cycle 3rd person view game; 8/10)

- Sirius (horizontal space shooter 8,5/10 )

- Plutos (vertical space shooter8,5/10 )

- Scrapyard Dog (platformer; 9/10)

- Alien Brigade (light-phaser ‘on rails’ shooter 8,5/10)

- Klax (brick-puzzler: 9/9)

- Midnight Mutants (adventure 8/10)

- Fatal Run (drive and shoot: 8,5/10)

- Rampage (monster/b-movie - destruction action/arcade: 8/10)

- Robotron 2084 (top down one screen massive (!!) shooter: 9/10)

- - 

homebrews: 

- Bentley Bears Crystal Quest (platformer: 9,5/10)

- Pac Man collection (maze, 9,5/10)

- Rikki & Vikki (platform-puzzler: 9/10)

- Froggie (arcade classic/top down frog escape-game: 8,5/10)

Optional:

- the hack of Scrapyard Dog where you are the dog and are to resque your owner...

(see hack section here)

- - - 

I’m not saying other games are bad; I just wanted to mention those I find best (which you don’t own).

Edited by Giles N

56 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I’m not saying other games are bad; I just wanted to mention those I find best (which you don’t own).

Thanks for the recommendations! Though since originally posting here, I have gotten a few more games, some of which you just mentioned. I should update that list.

15 minutes ago, HDN said:

Thanks for the recommendations! Though since originally posting here, I have gotten a few more games, some of which you just mentioned. I should update that list.

Yeah, please do update the list - and ... good gaming!

Edited by Giles N

Just now, Giles N said:

Whaddya think of the titles you got?

Most of them are a big thumbs up! Thanks again, @cjherr.

Some of my favorites include:

• Commando is very fun! The only version of Commando I have played previously is the 2600 one, which is horrible! This is a great game!
  • Choplifter is one I wasn't expecting to like as much as I did. This game is a blast! I will have to try the Master System port of the Arcade remake sometime. This is a real hidden gem on the console, and one I was pleasently surprised by. I'm lucky to not encounter the dreaded glitch on this cartridge. I haven't seen any sprite shrinking yet!
  • Centipede is a very good port. I like how this game controls with the ProLine joysticks. Centipede is a game I prefer with a Trackball, but it isn't necessary. You actually need one for games like Crystal Castles, which suck without it.
  • Donkey Kong is a good port as well, though I wish they tried porting the arcade version instead of the NES version. Still, it is unique among DK ports and was well-done with the TIA audio.
  • Hat Trick is a very good Pong-style game. Best played with another person.
  • Robotron: 2084 sucks with a single joystick. I made a custom controller holder, and though it's really ugly, it gets the job done and works well.
  • Crossbow reminds me a lot of Missile Command. Great fun.
  • Ms. Pac-Man is a really good port! I don't have many good ways of playing Ms. Pac-Man, but this has become my main version to play!

6 hours ago, HDN said:

Some of my favorites include:

• Donkey Kong 
  • Robotron: 2084 sucks with a single joystick. I made a custom controller holder, and though it's really ugly, it gets the job done and works well.

Donkey Kong:

- there is an updated version around which have all four levels, not just three.

Stick around here at AtariAge, and you may get the ‘updated’ version from someone.

Robotron: you can get special controllers for this game; either the arcade-quality-but-expensive from AtariAge’s shop, or double-gamepads from RetroGameBoyz (check ebay for example).

If you liked both Commando and Robotron 2084, you may also want to check out

- Dark Chambers (Gauntlet style game)

- Ikari warriors (Commando-style game, not quite as good, but with 2 player simultaneously)

If you enjoyed DK, you could check out Donkey Kong Junior, where you play as Donkey Kongs son and tries to resque Donkey Kong from Mario...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

Donkey Kong:

- there is an updated version around which have all four levels, not just three.

Stick around here at AtariAge, and you may get the ‘updated’ version from someone.

There are 'a few' more changes than containing all four levels, instead of just three.

Reach out to @tep392 as he handled the main program code, sound, as well as assembly and distribution.  Thanks to @CPUWIZ awesome VersaBoard providing the ability for it to be placed on cartridge. @Defender_2600 provided the spectacular graphics updates, and the final product is superb.  If any copies of Donkey Kong PK are available or can be made, tep392 will be the one in the know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1