IGNORED

anybody knows a good atari lynx android emulator thats not retroarch?

joelson11gg

• 1 month later...

Search in the Google Play Store for 'Argon'. 

This emulator is in beta right now, but works great for emulating 2600, Coleco, Intellivision, Vectrex - and of course Lynx.

It has very good support for Bluetooth and USB controllers too.

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic, but the only good Lynx emulator for windows is Mednafe Multi System Emu. And in fact the best Lynx emulator period. 

That emulator is the best available on earth not just for Lynx, but also for NG Pocket, NEC PC Engine/CD/Supergraft/PCFX, Saturn, Playstation, Virtual Boy, and Wonderswan. Never seen a multi console emulator do so many consoles so well. What geniuses the programmers must be. Also emulates a few other systems too. Though there are better emulators for those. 

Argon emulates the atari lynx pretty well; you don't even have to provide the system rom.  The Intellivision emulation works but has a few bugs and quirks as most of the commercial games are filtered out.  No option to select left/right controller.  Looks promising.

Edited by mr_me

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 9:54 AM, mr_me said:

The Intellivision emulation works but has a few bugs and quirks as most of the commercial games are filtered out.

Our current level of support for the Intellivision OS is such that you can reasonably run most indie/homebrew games. ie, those that were written using IntyBASIC.

We do plan to (over time) beef up our support for the original OS such that it gets to higher compatibility.

In the meantime, if you get the reason "Original Firmware Required" when you try to run a game, you can add your own OS files either locally or via Google Drive.

See the topics at support.markspace.com for adding to "My Library" using local storage or Google Drive.

The argon intellivision bug has been fixed so it runs rom files from commercial cartridges now.  It still has trouble with some homebrews.

The argon touch screen controls is set to the left controller.  Some games only use the right controller and some use both controllers.  There should be a button to switch between them.

Some intellivision games primarily use the keypad.  The touchscreen keypad should be to the side with the action buttons.  The top side button should be considered the primary action button.

And for all emulators there should be an option to mirror the controls so the touchscreen dpad is on the right, buttons on the left.

Edited by mr_me

On 12/27/2020 at 7:08 AM, mr_me said:

The argon touch screen controls is set to the left controller.  Some games only use the right controller and some use both controllers.  There should be a button to switch between them.

Is there a list anywhere of which games consider left vs right to be "player 1"? We have a server side database, so could flag that if we had the data in hand. We'd much prefer that to a preference/settings, as our goal is to be "zero config" whenever reasonably possible

Some intellivision games primarily use the keypad.  The touchscreen keypad should be to the side with the action buttons.  The top side button should be considered the primary action button.

Were you playing on a phone, tablet or TV? On a phone there isn't much room to grove and still have them large enough to hit accurately.

One work-around is that you can attach a keyboard either via USB or Bluetooth, and use that for the keypad at the same time you use a game controller or touch controls for the stick/fire buttons.

And for all emulators there should be an option to mirror the controls so the touchscreen dpad is on the right, buttons on the left.

We have had that request and are tracking it. If there is a game or emulator you think we should look at as a good example, let me know. I'm also curious, are you right or left handed, and does that play into the request at all?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm using a phone; it has a full qwerty keyboard so there's plenty of room for a keypad.  I'd put the action buttons on top taking about one third of the space and the keypad below

Intellivision World Championship Baseball uses the right controller.  Intellivision Auto Racing requires both controllers to start a one player game.

All the systems argon is emulating had controllers that could be used left or right handed except the atari 2600 joystick was right handed and vectrex was left handed.  I'm right handed.

Edited by mr_me

On 12/31/2020 at 5:36 AM, mr_me said:

I'm using a phone; it has a full qwerty keyboard so there's plenty of room for a keypad.  I'd put the action buttons on top taking about one third of the space and the keypad below

Intellivision World Championship Baseball uses the right controller.  Intellivision Auto Racing requires both controllers to start a one player game.

All the systems argon is emulating had controllers that could be used left or right handed except the atari 2600 joystick was right handed and vectrex was left handed.  I'm right handed.

Thanks -- we've added those to a list of issues/suggestions we track.

• 3 weeks later...