IGNORED

Back to Top Button

roadrunner

I think many sites have moved away from having a "Back to Top" button since you can just hit the Home key (typically) in a browser or scroll back up with the mouse wheel.  Now, having said that, removing this button was a bit contentious with this forum software, and I'm pretty certain multiple parties have coded a "Back to Top" button as a plugin you can get for free or purchase..  I can take a look.

..Al

22 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Why doesn't AtariAge have a back to top of page button?

22 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Ok, thanks for the info.
Yeah, i see the home button but if i want to look at the first or second post in a thread again
i have to scroll back up
No big deal, just thought i'd ask

You don't need to scroll back up....  Albert is referring to the Home button on your keyboard (not the Home button of the browser). 

Press that Home keyboard button and you will be magically teleported to the top of the page.

No need to write software for the webpage when there is a hardware solution.

And the browser I use on my phone automatically adds a little "top" button when you scroll too far down, so I can press that and it will go to the top of the page.

On a side note:

Now what I really miss from the old forum software is the "go to first unread post" (or whatever it was labeled).  From the thread list, you can click on the little icon on the left of the title to jump to the first unread post, but if you accidentally click on the title thread then you are shown the first post and then you need to go hunting on your own for the first unread post.

The old forum software was much more forgiving because if you accidentally clicked on the thread title then you can then click on the "go to first unread" link from there.

2 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

Now what I really miss from the old forum software is the "go to first unread post" (or whatever it was labeled).  From the thread list, you can click on the little icon on the left of the title to jump to the first unread post, but if you accidentally click on the title thread then you are shown the first post and then you need to go hunting on your own for the first unread post.

I think the newest version of the forum software does give the admins the ability to change how clicking on the thread title works.  That is, whether it displays the first post or jumps to the first unread post, the latter of which most people are going to want if they are logged in and have previously read a thread.  I'll be updating the forum software in a few months, it's a more significant update (4.4.x to 4.5.x), and all the third party plugins, applications, and themes (including the custom AA theme, which I may change considerably) all need to be updated.  Most of the plugins and apps have been updated, as well as the two third-party themes.  The custom theme needs to be redone, though, and I'm waiting for the theme author to have some free time to do so (he's busy updating many customers' skins as a result of the 4.5 release).

..Al

4 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

You don't need to scroll back up....  Albert is referring to the Home button on your keyboard (not the Home button of the browser). 

Press that Home keyboard button and you will be magically teleported to the top of the page.

No need to write software for the webpage when there is a hardware solution.

And the browser I use on my phone automatically adds a little "top" button when you scroll too far down, so I can press that and it will go to the top of the page.

On a side note:

The old forum software was much more forgiving because if you accidentally clicked on the thread title then you can then click on the "go to first unread" link from there.

I see the home button on a laptop, that does work :)
I was looking for a arrow in the lower right corner of the screen like ebay has.

15 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

I see the home button on a laptop, that does work :)
I was looking for a arrow in the lower right corner of the screen like ebay has.

Not sure what browser you are using, and I've not used this, but Chrome has this neat looking plugin.   

It toggles from "go to bottom" to "go to top"

Scroll To Top - Chrome Web Store (google.com)

Here's a video from the store page:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How does a back to top button usually work? Does it navigate to the very first post of a thread or only to the first post of the current page. If it is the former, then the Home key is not fully adequate.

It would go back to the top of the current page.  It certainly would not navigate to another page in the thread.

..Al