IGNORED

Living Tomb game

Keneg

37 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

TIPI isn't a finished product, give us a minute, and we'll figure it out.

And, TIPI is more of a hard drive for you 4A, not a floppy drive, it just has some floppy device name support for usage convenience. And that convenience is good enough for most programs.

When I'm done with my day job today, I'll investigate this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

And, TIPI is more of a hard drive for you 4A, not a floppy drive, it just has some floppy device name support for usage convenience. And that convenience is good enough for most programs.

When I'm done with my day job today, I'll investigate this.

Thanks.  Also, I have another issue.  The mouse now just goes to the right and stays there unusable.  I think this happened when I updated to version 2.8.  It used to work.  I have tried it with two USB mice.  Has anyone else reported this issue?

2 minutes ago, Keneg said:

Thanks.  Also, I have another issue.  The mouse now just goes to the right and stays there unusable.  I think this happened when I updated to version 2.8.  It used to work.  I have tried it with two USB mice.  Has anyone else reported this issue?

report it here please

TIPI mapped DSK1 lvl3 IO access will return 0 for missing files, and let other devices try and service the request. The game works fine from TIPI at crubase >1000, and a real floppy controller, with no disk in the floppy drive. 

With the DSK1 mapped to whatever directory you have the disk extracted to on your TIPI run the following TI BASIC code:

10 OPEN #1:"DSK1.LT:SC",OUTPUT
20 CLOSE #1

Then it works for me without ever trying to reach out to the real floppy controller... Doesn't matter what crubase your TIPI is at for this game. However, if you don't have a floppy controller, your TIPI really should be at >1100 so that VDP stack is initialized the same as if you had a floppy controller, and the same that is assumed by some other software. See the thread about getting TML to work with TIPI. 

I was going to try this first think this morning.  TIPI not working, RPI0 very hot.  Tested power supply, 5.16 volts.  Managed to hook up my RPI3B using a bunch of jumper wires.  Not easy to connect all of the wires, but it is working again!  I did want to try this eventually for the speed increase, so I guess it is OK.  Will try the game later.  Life in retro computing is so interesting.

Ok it works and only has to be done once.  Once the file “LT:SC” is in the directory, it will auto load from extended BASIC if the directory is set as DSK1.  Now I just have to figure out how to survive more than 30 seconds.  LOL. I wonder if this was somehow a hidden file on the original disk that doesn’t copy correctly as a form of copy protection.  I think this file should be added to the packages at the sites this can be downloaded from.

Edited by Keneg
  • Like 1

I found a little fan that operates on 5-12vdc, so I piped 5 to it from a seperate power source, and the fan has rubber padding around it's case and it squeezes in nicely between pins that are standing up and the other side  but sits on top of the cpu, and keeps my pi cool. I also have desktop running on my pi so I can watch the temp AND it's convenient when moving files.

Edited by GDMike

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

I found a little fan that operates on 5-12vdc, so I piped 5 to it from a seperate power source, and the fan has rubber padding around it's case and it squeezes in nicely between pins that are standing up and the other side  but sits on top of the cpu, and keeps my pi cool. I also have desktop running on my pi so I can watch the temp AND it's convenient when moving files.

The RPI3B has a fan on it.  I like the increased speed so will leave it alone.  I have a Win10 machine nearby that I use for downloading.  If I had more room on the desk, using the PI would be nice.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Keneg said:

I had to re-image my SD card today.  The LT:SC file came back in as a different file name!  So I am thinking that was part of the copy protection.  Re-created the file and it works again.

it's likely a filename rule on the linux computer that renamed the file to be "allowed" but the tifiles header shouldn't have changed

9 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

it's likely a filename rule on the linux computer that renamed the file to be "allowed" but the tifiles header shouldn't have changed

':' is a perfectly legal linux file name character... never seen a linux system rename anything automatically. TIPI will populate the name in the TIFILES header, but never consumes it. 

On 10/16/2020 at 9:12 AM, Keneg said:

Ok it works and only has to be done once.  Once the file “LT:SC” is in the directory, it will auto load from extended BASIC if the directory is set as DSK1.  Now I just have to figure out how to survive more than 30 seconds.  LOL. I wonder if this was somehow a hidden file on the original disk that doesn’t copy correctly as a form of copy protection.  I think this file should be added to the packages at the sites this can be downloaded from.

I don't think the DSK on gameshelf should be modified. The game works fine with that disk image, if a regular floppy controller is available. It even works from TIPI if a regular floppy controller is available to error correctly. It comes to a design decision in TIPI that is incompatible with this software's expectations of original hardware. This is the first problem with this decision that the community has reported. 

I could probably set a config flag in TIPI to respond differently for systems that have no other storage devices, but it would have to be manually set. I will keep an eye on the value of that.

• Like 2