IGNORED

Retrousb AVS vs RGB modded Nes

I've been really into the Nes lately and have been considering my options to get better picture quality on the console. I've heard good things about both the Retrousb AVS and Tim Worthington's Nes rgb mod. I've heard conflicting things about whether hdmi or rgb will look better. It will cost me a little more to go the rgb route but not by too much. I've been loving the rgb on my Sega consoles but of course that was simpler/cheaper as those naturally output rgb. Both options seem to have their pros and cons. I've also considered just keeping it in composite since that was the best way you could play Nes back in the day.  Could anyone help guide me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated. 

The AVS is a very nice device. Outputting 720p means that the image is full size (minus overscan) with integer scaling. There are a bunch of different palettes so you can get what you want, just like the RGB NES. The big difference is whether you already have an RGB upscaling device, and how much you're paying to mod the NES or doing it yourself. The AVS is only $200 after shipping, where the RGB mod itself + paying someone to mod your NES could cost a lot more. 

If you want the best of both worlds, get a RetroTINK 2x Mini and plug in your NES for that old fuzzy composite feeling, and get an AVS to use when you want sharp graphics. :D

• Like 1

For the NESRGB, it depends of the modder... etim sells the NESRGB for 125 Australian Dollars, so about 88 US$. Add up 20$ for shipping (didn't actually checked, but I'm sure it's less than that) and you come up to 108$. Modders I asked would do the job for between 30 to 60$. you end up with 168$ at worst. I suppose, if you also have to get the NES, it adds up, but overall it's a cheaper way unless you find a modder charging alot AND shipping (if the modder doesn't live nearby) is expensive for you.

Also if I remember, the AVS wasn't a perfectly 100% accurate emulation machine, but it might have improved since I last heard of it.

I think it depends on what you want. For someone who have a RGB-ready setup -either converters or living in Europe - the TimRGB chip is cheaper and more handy. For a less tech-inclined gamer that don't wanna bother with converters, compatibility, etc... the AVS is probably better.

Also, the TimRGB board also output S-video, which may be a good compatibility point for people that have S-video setups.

IMG_4182.JPG

On 10/15/2020 at 1:06 AM, derFunkenstein said:

If you want the best of both worlds, get a RetroTINK 2x Mini and plug in your NES for that old fuzzy composite feeling, and get an AVS to use when you want sharp graphics. :D

This is what I do. :)

---

@AlexKIDD

The AVS is excellent.  If all you want to do is play NES/FC games it's perfect for that.  I think you know this, but it's an FPGA recreation of the hardware (just like the NT mini), and not a pirate Nintendo on a Chip or software emulation machine, so it's pretty much perfectly accurate to the original hardware.  It offers some nice features even over the NT mini, such as high score uploading and optional interpolation to eliminate uneven pixel shimmering (when the image is scaled to a proper CRT aspect ratio).

It supports 720p resolution only, however (not even 480p), and doesn't have any kind of jailbreak option to store ROMs on internal memory or anything, so you'd need either original carts or a ROM cart to play games on it.

Edited by newtmonkey

AFAIK, high score uploading on AVS is no longer available since the site that hosted it on was changed into gocollect. Apparently, it's back to Nintendo Age now, but the scoreboard and AVS part of the site is long gone. 

Edited by BrianC

3 hours ago, BrianC said:

AFAIK, high score uploading on AVS is no longer available since the site that hosted it on was changed into gocollect. Apparently, it's back to Nintendo Age now, but the scoreboard and AVS part of the site is long gone. 

NintendoAge is not back. Its posts are still archived on GoCollect as before, but that forum is as dead as a doornail.

I would personally like to see the Scoreboard functionality be restored, but am not sure what it would take for RetroUSB to do that. It was a fun feature.

To the OP, the AVS is a great console, assuming you want to play on a HD TV. A RGB NES will have a little more flexibility in that you can run it through an upscaler, or run it on a CRT. What type of display you are intending to use these on wasn't clarified in your original post. If it's just a HD TV, then go for the AVS.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

I mean https://www.nintendoage.net/ goes to a new Nintendo Age site rather than gocollect now, but gocollect is still there and I'm not sure what the deal is with the new site (attempt at revival? It currently has less content than video game sage). Confusing. 

doh: nintendoage.com still goes to gocollect. Not sure how I ended up at the .net site. 

Edited by BrianC

I really like the AVS, I think it looks great and if you are going to go out to a modern flatpanel and use NES style catridges it would be the way to go.  Also the option to play original famicom games that option is there however the AVS looks super akward, so you are better off using an everdrive there.   If you are think about NESRGB and have an original NES toaster, you'll need to then get a blinking light win fix likely, also enable expansion audio...    NES to famicom adapters are also pretty janky if you want to play import games.    I personally play NES carts on my AVS and use an RGB modded twin famicom, both have everdrives to supplement their physical carts/disks.   If you just want to play roms MiSTer is really the way to go though.

I've owned an AVS and its a solid device if you want to play your original carts on an HDTV with low latency.   But, I personally sold it and got a MiSTer instead.  With MiSTer you get both HDMI at 1080p or VGA/Component 240p output for CRTs.   The NES core is amazing on it with more options than the AVS, plus MiSTer has tons of more quality cores as well. 

RGB NES will not give you a great HDTV experience without some kind of external scaler like an OSSC, which is an additional $120+ cost on top of the RGB mod.

The question is how important is the ability to play original carts? If you can sacrifice them then the MiSTer is the best way to play NES on a HDTV for the price.

This video is 10 months old and the MiSTer NES core has improved since, but it gives you an idea what you can expect.

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another option,

If you can swing it...

Generally very limited quantities,  Pre-Orders often go Very Fast, but seem to be Open as I type this...

Sometimes you just want to go First Class!   (I Love their stuff,  and I have one of these coming when they finally Re-Release!)

https://www.analogue.co/editions/nt-mini-noir

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 12:12 PM, GoldLeader said:

Another option,

If you can swing it...

Generally very limited quantities,  Pre-Orders often go Very Fast, but seem to be Open as I type this...

Sometimes you just want to go First Class!   (I Love their stuff,  and I have one of these coming when they finally Re-Release!)

https://www.analogue.co/editions/nt-mini-noir

That is not really an option anymore.  It was a very limited run that was sold out months ago.  If you want one then you have to pay a stupid price on Ebay.  

• Like 2

The MiSTer is a great option and the NES core is pretty solid. That said, the MiSTer does require some fiddling to get working the way you want, if you're not familiar with it, so there's that.

I still prime my AVS when I want to play NES games, as I find the image to look better (I can't seem to dial in a custom filter on the MiSTer core that gets rid of screen shimmer completely). Something also feels "off" when using a NES controller adapter with the Blister add-on. I don't have these issues on an AVS.

The MiSTer NES core as of this writing also doesn't do save states, which I can do on my consoles with a flash cart. So there are definitely still upsides for having a dedicated console like the AVS or NT Mini. MiSTer makes the most financial sense though if you want more than just the NES. Some of its other cores are even better.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...