IGNORED

Crazy ebay prices

erichenneke

On 11/24/2020 at 6:10 PM, shoestring said:

Wow. only $173 shipping to Australia, absolute bargain.

Shipping prices to Australia are a joke, I was so lucky to find a 600XL within Australia to avoid the shipping ripoff.

5 hours ago, adamchevy said:

I’m currently enjoying the continuation of insane GPU prices. I’m starting to feel bad for Youtubers like Paul’s Hardware that like to do PC build videos. The comment sections are always full of people having a GPU bitch fest.

Hence why I'm still running a 980Ti.

750Ti here, does what I need and I'm not even looking at anything even if I had the money (which I don't) but I'd not pay the insane prices out there..

With my Dell I'd have to do a full upgrade as the PSU on these is barely able to power the most basic stuff let alone beefy GPU's etc..

The full extent of my purchases are this mug, featuring lines from the wonderful Line Of Duty TV series...

20210511.jpg

I dread to think how much a 400 will be on Ebay..

Edited by Mclaneinc

12 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

750Ti here, does what I need and I'm not even looking at anything even if I had the money (which I don't) but I'd not pay the insane prices out there..

With my Dell I'd have to do a full upgrade as the PSU on these is barely able to power the most basic stuff let alone beefy GPU's etc..

The full extent of my purchases are this mug, featuring lines from the wonderful Line Of Duty TV series...

20210511.jpg

I dread to think how much a 400 will be on Ebay..

I'm still running my Dell T5500 workstation which was worth a fortune brand new in 2010. It's had numerous upgrades over the years, including the addition of another X5675 Xeon processor (for dual X5675's, 12C/24T) and 48GB of ram. It also has an m.2 > pcie 4x adapter with an m.2 SSD running as the boot drive and a 6TB spinner for /home, I run an additional 1TB spinner for storage and system backups - Both mechanical HDD's run off an LSI RAID card flashed into IT mode for speeds comparable to native SATA3.

Running the 980Ti off the 800w PSU that came with the machine, it handles my 4k demands pretty damn well for it's age - In fact I don't find it the slightest bit limiting, hence why I can't see the point in upgrading.

EDIT: Nice mug! Here's mine, got it for fathers day one year off my Daughter (It's an A1200):

6Q4oXl4.jpg

Edited by Mazzspeed

980Ti is a great card, but there's no way it can handle "4K demands" - unless you mean streaming or some old-gen gaming. If you want to play the latest stuff above 1080p with reasonable framerates you do need a latest card, there's no way around it.

The prices are indeed insane, as is the fact that it's been going on for so long now. Seems we are in a perfect storm, with Covid, scalpers, tax things, bitcoin miners, and whathaveyou combining into one big krazy situation. For once, something like that has actually worked in my favour: I bought an RTX 3070 in October, aiming to catch up with modern AAA gaming during the time I'm grounded at one place because of the virus, then sell it after 6 months or so, thinking I'd loose the usual ~20% of the RRP. But atm these cards are selling for nearly 2x the RRP...

Simply stupid (re the prices), I'll stick with my old donkey, I don't have a 4K tv and at the moment no intention of getting one. I use my PC for emulation and surfing, it does those well enough.

Edited by Mclaneinc

28 minutes ago, youxia said:

980Ti is a great card, but there's no way it can handle "4K demands" - unless you mean streaming or some old-gen gaming. If you want to play the latest stuff above 1080p with reasonable framerates you do need a latest card, there's no way around it.

The prices are indeed insane, as is the fact that it's been going on for so long now. Seems we are in a perfect storm, with Covid, scalpers, tax things, bitcoin miners, and whathaveyou combining into one big krazy situation. For once, something like that has actually worked in my favour: I bought an RTX 3070 in October, aiming to catch up with modern AAA gaming during the time I'm grounded at one place because of the virus, then sell it after 6 months or so, thinking I'd loose the usual ~20% of the RRP. But atm these cards are selling for nearly 2x the RRP...

It all depends on the game.

Diablo 3 at 4k, no problem. Black Mesa at 4k, no problem. CS:GO at 4k, no problem. Rocket League at 4k, no problem. The latest Doom at 4k, no problem. I even ran Detroit Become Human at 4k no problem off the Epic Store.

I'm not really into anything newer TBH, it's all pretty boring IMO. However, what makes this really interesting is I don't run Windows - So I'm running certain titles using Wine/DXVK and Proton. Installation of the games is as easy as native Windows in the case of Proton and in many cases I'm getting better performance than native Windows, where I don't get better performance, performance is no worse.

Where I can't run 4k, I run 1080p as 1080p scales perfectly into 4k - It's actually difficult to tell the difference in game, it's more noticeable in menus where the text is softer.

I'm not spending in excess of 1k on a high mid end GPU, I simply refuse to do so.

Edited by Mazzspeed

I'm running a GTX1070Ti  bought about 2 years ago (only due to a cup of coffee in the works :) ) and I haven't found anything that won't run fine,

personally I think the hype to have the fastest all singing and dancing cards is rubbish, my PC is over 6 years old so not the

latest of anything, but I play lots of on-line MMO's with absolutely no problems/slowdown whatsoever @2560x1440 resolution.

Getting frame rates in excess of 90fps a lot of the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

It all depends on the game.

Diablo 3 at 4k, no problem. Black Mesa at 4k, no problem. CS:GO at 4k, no problem. Rocket League at 4k, no problem. The latest Doom at 4k, no problem. I even ran Detroit Become Human at 4k no problem off the Epic Store.

Well, of course it depends on a game...but there is no much point comparing games and cards from different eras :) The games you list are "old-gen", and the likes of  Rocket League (or Overwatch, Fortnite etc) have gfx optimized for deathmatch, so they can run even on mobile phones. Doom Eternal is as well, but I doubt it will run with constant 60 fps in 4K on 980Ti.

Also, as usual regarding this subject, statements such as "it's fine" or "no problem" are really a bit meaningless. I know a guy who watches the likes of Star Wars and other cinematic epics on his mobile, and it's also "fine", according to him...but it's really a reductionist approach when you talk about tech.

As it is, if you want to play the latest games such as RDR2, Metro, Valhalla or Cyberpunk in 1440p (never mind 4K) you will need a powerful card and processor, unless you are ok with low settings and/or choppy framerates. That's why I ran my 1080Ti and Ryzen 3600 in 1080p, only went up to 1440p when I got the 3070 & 5600x, and it's only just about enough.

Before Covid it wasn't actually that expensive to do some upgrading, if you did some careful research and bought used from trusted sellers. Now it's of course a different story, it'd be insane to pay current prices (knowing they will eventually stabilise) just to play some games. I'm not sure who is actually buying these things...guess there is a lot of well-to-do people after all, even in these tricky times.

Edited by youxia

1 hour ago, youxia said:

Well, of course it depends on a game...but there is no much point comparing games and cards from different eras :) The games you list are "old-gen", and the likes of  Rocket League (or Overwatch, Fortnite etc) have gfx optimized for deathmatch, so they can run even on mobile phones. Doom Eternal is as well, but I doubt it will run with constant 60 fps in 4K on 980Ti.

Also, as usual regarding this subject, statements such as "it's fine" or "no problem" are really a bit meaningless. I know a guy who watches the likes of Star Wars and other cinematic epics on his mobile, and it's also "fine", according to him...but it's really a reductionist approach when you talk about tech.

As it is, if you want to play the latest games such as RDR2, Metro, Valhalla or Cyberpunk in 1440p (never mind 4K) you will need a powerful card and processor, unless you are ok with low settings and/or choppy framerates. That's why I ran my 1080Ti and Ryzen 3600 in 1080p, only went up to 1440p when I got the 3070 & 5600x, and it's only just about enough.

Before Covid it wasn't actually that expensive to do some upgrading, if you did some careful research and bought used from trusted sellers. Now it's of course a different story, it'd be insane to pay current prices (knowing they will eventually stabilise) just to play some games. I'm not sure who is actually buying these things...guess there is a lot of well-to-do people after all, even in these tricky times.

I'm not interested in the latest AAA titles like Cyberpunk or RDR2, they bore me, and TBH I use my PC for far more than just games. You will notice I stated my 980Ti handles 'my' 4k demands quite well for its age.

However, when I do game, FPS are important and I use the Flightless Mango HUD to monitor all statistics just like MSI Afterburner, and I get a steady 60 to over 100fps depending on the game. As stated four 4k pixels make up one 1080p pixel so 1080p scales perfectly into 4k, if I find I'm struggling at 4k I just drop to 1080p and the difference in PQ is barely perceptible for a huge improvement in performance.

I don't watch movies on my phone, I do watch movies propped up in bed with virtual Dolby Atmos through my headphones using my Samsung Tab s5e. I have an expensive and very capable hometheater system, I just find the quality of my OLED display on my tablet to be better considering its pixel density and kicking back in bed is more comfortable.

I will not pay current GPU prices, it's simply consumerism out of control. In fact my PC usage is now split between my Dell workstation and my Raspberry Pi400 overclocked to 2.3Ghz CPU and 800Mhz GPU. I run TwisterOS, and these new Pi 4's run so well that I can actually run a great many Windows applications just fine using Box86 and Wine - Including Altirra.

Outside the US, and especially here in Australia, tech is very expensive.

Edited by Mazzspeed

33 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I'm not interested in the latest AAA titles like Cyberpunk or RDR2, they bore me, and TBH I use my PC for far more than just games. You will notice I stated my 980Ti handles 'my' 4k demands quite well for its age.

That's perfectly fine for a personal preference, but in the context of the last few posts it sounded a bit different, hence my reply.

Anyway, let's leave it at that since I believe this thread was meant to be about retro "crazy prices"...

3 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Nice mug! Here's mine, got it for fathers day one year off my Daughter (It's an A1200)

It looks like the print is coming off the mug at the top and bottom but if I'm not mistaken I designed the art on that mug :)

A mate needed a MB/memory/GFX card upgrade doing, not a hard job but he gave me his old GTX1050TI as payment. , Given the silly prices of cards these days I was considering selling the thing and continuing to use a quadro K620 I grabbed cheap on ebay (actual a very nice low end card for the price(£22), about gt1030 power) but decided to keep it and put the quadro in daughters pc.

My mug just says 'worlds greatest dad' - not very original but true :)

Edited by Preppie
  • Like 2

I was looking on Ebay earlier, my daughter played the hell out of GTA V on the PS4 but managed to ding the aluminum top part leaving a see through part so I went looking for a cheap replacement but while I was there I looked at some random stuff and boy were the hoped prices just insane. Even the GTA's were way above what a used game should go for...Not paying that nonsense..

8 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

It looks like the print is coming off the mug at the top and bottom but if I'm not mistaken I designed the art on that mug :)

I did think it was an Amiga 1200, but looking closer it has the A500 enter key and yes, the print is coming off, the dishwasher does that over time - I've had it for many years now. That would be amazing if you designed the artwork!

6 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

It's actually an A500, you can tell by the BAE, which isn't in the posted photo but you can see it on the mug 

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 10.51.01.png

I missed that post. Yes, that's the mug and it is an A500. I've also got a C64 mug.

Hopefully this year I can get a 600XL mug?