IGNORED

Ways to soften the force on an 800xl keyboard?

AuntiePixel

Hi, I've been restoring an 800xl to get back into Atari games and tinkering. It's coming along well enough, but using the keyboard is annoyingly difficult. The keys seem to take quite a lot of pressure to push down, and it just gets tiring over time. Is this normal for some/all 800xl systems? Any way to soften the keypresses? If this is just how the 800xl keyboards are, should I maybe look into a 130xe instead?

Thanks for your input

There's multiple keyboard types (4 or 5?) for the XL.

Generally the non stepped ones have a bit of mushy feel and probably need more travel than the stepped ones.

I've had 2 of the steppd ones, the one on my current 600XL IMO isn't as good as the first one I had.

I guess also over the years oxidization, dust and wear can mean that they don't work as well as when newer.

What you describe sounds familiar with a certain keyboard type of the 800xl. I have to say, and I might be an exception, that those are my favorite 800XL keyboards. Yes the keys are more heavy than on other types, but you'll get used to it when you type a lot on it. 

When your fingers get stronger, it is not longer a problem. I actually love the feel of these keyboards. And, they give me the impression that even an elephant could stand on the keys, without breaking anything :D

If you dislike the  800XLs keyboard, you'll loath the XEs KB.  They are mushy, mushy, mushy...many missed keystrokes.  Best Elects made the TT-Touch replacement silicone key cups.  Some people say they correct the mushy keystrokes.  I did not notice very much of a difference.  I wasted time and money changing to them. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I just acquired a 130XE. I've never used one of these before (previously only the 400, 800, and 800XL). The 130XE keyboard is very stiff and takes more pressure to register strokes than other Atari 8-bits I've used. It sounds like what @AuntiePixel describes on an 800XL. The two 800XLs I have right now are more on the mushy side and barely need any pressure to register a keystroke (to the point where it sometimes happens accidentally when I'm just resting a finger on a key). Do 130XEs usually have stiff keys like this? Maybe age or wear? What XE keyboard variants were there?

Edit: Scratch that. I just reread the eBay description of the unit I purchased, and the keyboard mylar has been replaced. That would explain it. I guess I can get used to it. ?

Edited by Mark Simonson

13 hours ago, Mark Simonson said:

Edit: Scratch that. I just reread the eBay description of the unit I purchased, and the keyboard mylar has been replaced. That would explain it. I guess I can get used to it.

The keyboard may also have been upgraded with stiffer springs or silicone cups when the mylar was replaced.

16 hours ago, Mark Simonson said:

I just acquired a 130XE. I've never used one of these before (previously only the 400, 800, and 800XL). The 130XE keyboard is very stiff and takes more pressure to register strokes than other Atari 8-bits I've used. It sounds like what @AuntiePixel describes on an 800XL. The two 800XLs I have right now are more on the mushy side and barely need any pressure to register a keystroke (to the point where it sometimes happens accidentally when I'm just resting a finger on a key). Do 130XEs usually have stiff keys like this? Maybe age or wear? What XE keyboard variants were there?

Edit: Scratch that. I just reread the eBay description of the unit I purchased, and the keyboard mylar has been replaced. That would explain it. I guess I can get used to it. ?

Changing the XE mylar will not affect the typing experience.  If it's very stiff it's likely to have been improperly serviced.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, gilsaluki said:

Best Elects made the TT-Touch replacement silicone key cups.  Some people say they correct the mushy keystrokes.  I did not notice very much of a difference.

I installed it on a 65XE and found the modded keys a bit "clickier". Not "IBM-like" clicky, but a bit less mushier. Overall they are harder to press, however.