IGNORED

Bytewriter EPROM Burner

RCA1802

I recently acquired a Bytewriter EPROM burner, this is an EPROM burner for Atari 8-bits that uses 2 joystick ports as an 8-bit connection to the burner. I've had a saved search on eBay for years so when one finally came up I snapped it up :)

I thought the enclosure would be metal but it's actually plastic.

bytewriter10.thumb.jpg.8339018ff456c3164db261bac5fe38ba.jpg

bytewriter5.thumb.jpg.ec8631086f4f16d7d5032f485b7f92a5.jpg

Inside is an 8035 microcontroller with a 2K EPROM and an 8255 parallel chip.

bytewriter6.thumb.jpg.03b7b8814dd61a94531a16f03d9049d8.jpg

I really like the software...

bytewriter0.thumb.jpg.0275b1dd04b164a6e2646476411db68f.jpg

1524897312_PhotoOct07123846AM.thumb.jpg.bef81357e4c029225acda808049cdb6b.jpg

I don't have a burner that can write 2532s so the Bytewriter is actually useful! Here I am burning an updated monitor EPROM for my SYM-1 SBC... The burner is SLOW compared to other ones I have but not too slow, it took about 5 minutes to write the 2532

bytewriter.thumb.jpg.14f5cdf55f238dcdcfbbfa3b5a2c521e.jpg

The joystick connectors are recessed on the XE so the connectors won't fit, I had to hackup some gender changes to make extenders

bytewriter9.thumb.jpg.862963a676a82ae529d460b4c7847b0d.jpg

Attached are the ROM dump and an ATR of the software if anyone needs them.

bytewriter3.jpg

bytewriter8.17.BIN bytewriterA.ATR

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to mention that mine didn't come with the manual but there is a PDF version at the Atari Museum: http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/3rdparty/Other/ByteWriter/index.htm

It can burn 2716/32/64/128 as well as TI 2516/32/64 and Motorola 68764 (which is useful as this can be used as a drop in replacement for some commodore ROMS in their various machines.) There was also an adapter harness that allowed you to dump various carts however I haven't even been able to find a picture of this.

Edited by RCA1802

57 minutes ago, RCA1802 said:

There was also an adapter harness that allowed you to dump various carts however I haven't even been able to find a picture of this.

That is interesting, first time I read somehing like that. Years ago I made a hardware device that allowed me to plug a cartridge while the device was plugged on the EPROM programmer. It half-worked, and haven't had the chance to go back and fix it...

Is there a picture anywhere of this harness for the Bytewriter?

Kind regards,

Luis

1 hour ago, lbaeza said:

That is interesting, first time I read somehing like that. Years ago I made a hardware device that allowed me to plug a cartridge while the device was plugged on the EPROM programmer. It half-worked, and haven't had the chance to go back and fix it...

Is there a picture anywhere of this harness for the Bytewriter?

Kind regards,

Luis

I can't find any, it may have been vaporware. Convologic also advertised a device called the WAM cartridge which was like a regular cartridge but it was battery backed ram or something. I can't find any pictures or information on this device except that the Bytewriter software allows you to convert your dumped cart to the WAM cart's format..