IGNORED

A Roach in Space part II: Cosmic Bugaloo (wip)

vhzc

######## UPDATE

Beta 0.4

- More waves.

- New boss

- Cosmetic changes.

aroachinspace-20201119.a78

######## UPDATE

Beta 0.3

- More waves.

- New boss

- Cosmetic changes.

aroachinspace-20201106.a78

####### UPDATE

Beta 0.2

- More waves.

- Faster bullet.

- Shakescreen and sound when hit.

- Cosmetic changes

aroachinspace-20201019.a78

Hi guys.

I want to share the first beta wip of a vertical shooter I am programming.

A ROACH IN SPACE part II: Cosmic Bugaloo.

Is a sequel/port of a previous game for atari 2600 (that is available in AA store) and in it you play as a roach trying to stop an invasion of weird stuff from outer space.

This first beta contains 10 enemy waves (including a boss) and it has some typical functions available of shmups (continue, power up, bomb)

aroachinspace-20201015.a78

If somebody could test it it would be great.

1494916212_Capturadepantalla_2020-10-15_23-31-14.thumb.png.973a25f4f8fa84be678e0bfb524b23d7.png

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 15

Tried it on MESS.  Seems fine, I like the control.  I would suggest a more rapid firing capacity, and more of an alert when you get hit.  I think you flash the color of your bug, but in the chaos you don't realize you took damage.  Enemies moving way too fast for the speed of your guy, and the killer tomatoes went so quick my eyes couldn't focus on them.  Keep up the good work.

7 hours ago, vhzc said:

A ROACH IN SPACE part II: Cosmic Bugaloo.

If somebody could test it it would be great.

Excellent!  Looking forward to testing it out during the weekend. 

Off the bat though, expectation is there will be a Breakdancing cockroach at some point...

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That hot headed boss is a hoot.

So far, I agree with the faster firing/quicker shots needed.  The other (if) possible change item for me is the player/roach size.   It's a bit too wide of a target.  Perhaps a ~30% width reduction (?)

The various enemies and details on the graphics are just spot on.  Love the different attack patterns and styles demonstrated by the enemies.  Love the persona assigned to the roach.  Having his face right on the screen really gives the feeling it is indeed a creature and not a ship 'posing' as such; its got personality.  Love the idea (and shoutout to Knight Guy) concerning the 'wall' borders.

The faint graph as opposed to just a black background is brilliant. It gives the game visuals more depth.

Looking forward to the continued development of this game.  It is off to a great start!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 5:31 AM, Trebor said:

Excellent!  Looking forward to testing it out during the weekend. 

Off the bat though, expectation is there will be a Breakdancing cockroach at some point...

?

Everybody's hair looks like Olivia Newton John and Pat Benetar. Even the Men's.

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing A Roach in Space II: Cosmic Bugaloo on tomorrow's (Tue Oct 20) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

3 hours ago, vhzc said:

####### UPDATE

Beta 0.2

New build is amazing, just love the enemy graphics! Looking forward to showing it off tomorrow on the stream!

Also finally figured out why the JS7800 browser emulator was being so terrible last time with Knight Guy (7800). I had acceleration turned off in the browser for something else I was doing. I turned it back on and it's now behaving and should be all go for tomorrow with A Roach in Space Part II! Phew.

- James

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing the updated version of A Roach in Space II: Cosmic Bugaloo on tomorrow's (Fri Nov 20) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

113571525_20201120-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.c640141a84746b48787ed7bb74e23b31.jpg

• Like 1

I spent some time playing this, and I enjoyed it greatly. The visuals were great as always, and the controls are good. It took me a bit to realize that I could go up and down as well.  ? 

My only complaint is that I'm not personally a fan of the screen shaking when I get hit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...