IGNORED

Homestar Runner RPG

Albert

HomestarRunner.gif

Paul Slocum has announced that his new Atari 2600 project will be a role playing game mixed with the characters from Homestar Runner. This will be the first in-depth RPG on the Atari 2600, and will be comparable to early computer based RPGs. But the absurd scenarios and dumb fairy-tale characters will be replaced with true-to-life stories and much more believable characters from the popular Homestar Runner crew. Mike and Matt Chapman (creators of Homestar Runner) will be contributing story, graphics, and creative ideas to the game.

• Play as Homestar, Poopsmith, or Strongsad
  • Large world, comparable in size to early Ultima/SSI releases
  • Ability to save your place in the game with a code system
  • Large amount of in-game story text
  • Turn-based gameplay
  • Magic, weapons, HP, all the goods.
  • Fight enemies from other Atari 2600 games
  • Mini-games

First demonstrated at the Austin Gaming Expo last weekend, Paul Slocum has released a demo that you can download and try for yourself. You can grab the demo from Paul's Homestar Runner RPG page, as well as view screenshots and learn more about this upcoming game.

Holy Poop. This looks like the coolest thing I have ever seen. Very ambitious and if anyone can pull this off, its Paul Slocum.

Sadly, I am not familiar with "Homestar Runner" or any of its characters, so this will be new to me.

"Fight enemies from other Atari 2600 games" This I cannot wait to see.

"Mini-games?" It will be interesting to see what these are....

Very very exciting stuff!!!! :) :)

:spidey: :spidey: :spidey: :spidey: :spidey:

OH THANK GOD!!! i happen to be wearing my 'trogdor!! the burninator' shirt right now, and i hope that he makes a cameo. MMF will also get a kick outta this =D

oh, if you go to the homestarrunner.com link above, at the bottom left there are numbers, click on 13 and hover over each section, they are pretty funny, the dragon from adventure makes a nice cameo!

OH THANK GOD!!! i happen to be wearing my 'trogdor!! the burninator' shirt right now, and i hope that he makes a cameo. MMF will also get a kick outta this =D

I got a kick out of it in person, in Austin, sankyewverymuch. :D I even got to chat with Paul about his plans for the game, and asked him if he'd be including the Atari 2600 style games that are featured on the Homestar website (if you haven't seen all of them, some are hidden as easter eggs). He said it might be tough, and he'd probably have to boost the EPROM to 64K, but it +could+ be done especially since most of those games are just clone hacks of regular 2600 games like Night Driver, Kaboom, et cetera.

I love the demo (especially when homestar starts dancing in the title), but for some reason, in the map section, whenever I enter a certain area, a tree automatically grows, and there's no way out of that small area. Is something like that intentional?

It's not a bug, it's a feature! I noticed that too and I was wondering if anyone else would stumble across it. Although if I isolated and controlled the bug, it could make for some cool level design. :)

-Paul