IGNORED

TI Keyboard Stickers for Emulation?

ballyalley

Are there are keyboard stickers available for the TI-99/4a to make emulation with MAME easier?  I'm referring to stickers like this for the Atari:

https://www.4keyboard.com/commodore-keyboard-stickers/591-commodore-atari-non-transparent-keyboard-stickers.html

I also have a thread about it here (for the Atari stickers):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/225142-atari-8-bit-sticker-for-sale/

TI emulation in MAME works great, but the keyboard layout isn't great.  I know I can change the default layout, but stickers like this would be very useful.

Adam

24 minutes ago, WhataKowinkydink said:

In the meantime you could use an image of the keyboard as cheatsheet.

Yeah, the other day I brought in my TI computer and set it next to my keyboard while I used MAME.  Certainly, you're right, getting a high quality printout of the 99's 53-key keyboard would be useful (and useful).  I've seen a few pictures like this around, but perhaps someone has made one for this express purpose already.  If anyone can point me the way to a quality PDF document that has the TI's keyboard layout, then that would be handy.  It would also be nice if it included the TI's keyboard overlay "strips" (I'm not sure what they're actually called) that say DEL, INS, ERASE, etc.  This would be useful for now, but getting stickers to place on top of a TI keyboard would make it even easier to use an emulator.

Adam

29 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

Here is a graphic I put together several years ago (7?):

Thanks, Lee.  I made some modifications and printed it out:

1375131896_KeyboardTI994A(LeeSteward)_Print_Out.thumb.jpg.9a9648dc3e95cdc00d733f0c95c8cace.jpg

As, you can see, thumbs up from Adam!

In case anyone is interested, I'm including my PNG and the pdf of this modified document:

1009124708_KeyboardTI994A(LeeSteward)(20201016)(288dpi).thumb.png.819c21ad9484965abbff2c7d2b08795e.png

KeyboardTI994A (Lee Steward)(2020 10 16)(288 dpi).pdf

This printout will be handy for now.  If anyone hears of a way to get stickers, then that would be fantastic!

Adam

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, globeron said:

At js99er.net  there is a picture of the TI keyboard. Select tabs at right side.

Hey, that's a nice little emulator written (I guess?) in Javascript.  I think it's amazing that we can run emulators in a browser window now.  I just wrote a "Hello World" program and the keyboard works in, I think it's called, "natural" mode.  Technology has advanced so far and I'm using all of these advanced resources to use a TI computer that came out around 40 years ago.  Why do I do that?  'Cause it's fun.

Adam

6 minutes ago, globeron said:

@Asmusr did it. But look under software and more you can find all TI modules, but also see demo progs.

Wow, I just started looking at the "Don't Mess with Texas" demo.  I've watched a video of it before, but it's so impressive to see it running in a Window.  And...  the F18A and speech is supported in the emulator.  How crazy is that?!?  I started a few games under the emulator, but I can't figure-out what the "joystick" is emulated as on my PC.

This JS emulator seems like a great way to get introduced to the TI.  Here I am today using real hardware.  What a dummy I am.  ?

Adam

2 hours ago, ballyalley said:

Wow, I just started looking at the "Don't Mess with Texas" demo.  I've watched a video of it before, but it's so impressive to see it running in a Window.  And...  the F18A and speech is supported in the emulator.  How crazy is that?!?  I started a few games under the emulator, but I can't figure-out what the "joystick" is emulated as on my PC.

This JS emulator seems like a great way to get introduced to the TI.  Here I am today using real hardware.  What a dummy I am.  ?

Adam

I am still using original equipment 2× /4  which has a different keyboard layout and 6x /4A and 1x Geneve9640 and many emulators, see my channel.  wrote some documents about all the joystick options. For pc. Use a usb gamecontroller or usb to db9 adapter for the old joysticks and joy2key mapper programme.

• Like 1

I use this for MacV9T9. Other emulators might not map in the "extra" keys the same. I don't know about Mame, JS99er, or the others, but Classic99 lets me use quote marks as marked on the PC keyboard or the TI Function P key, erase key instead of Fnctn 1, plus the PC's "F Keys" above the numeral keys are directly mapped to the TI equivalents, arrow keys, etc. Nice touch!

TI99 MacV9T9 Keyboard.jpg

Edited by Ed in SoDak

14 hours ago, globeron said:

I am still using original equipment 2× /4  which has a different keyboard layout and 6x /4A and 1x Geneve9640 and many emulators, see my channel.

I have bookmarked your YouTube channel.  I'll try to watch some of the videos this coming week.

I use a Stelladapter with an Atari VCS controller.  This works great in MAME.  I couldn't figure-out how to get the JS emulator to support joysticks.  I still can't get past the boundaries that JS has pushed down since the mid-1990s.  Who would have thought online emulators would exist using that language.

ADam

13 hours ago, Ed in SoDak said:

Other emulators might not map in the "extra" keys the same. [...] plus the PC's "F Keys" above the numeral keys are directly mapped to the TI equivalents, arrow keys, etc.

Thanks for posting another keyboard overlay.  It sort of helped me.  In the Javascript emulator, the cursor keys seem to be joystick 1 (I could have sworn I tried that yesterday!).  I still can't find the fire button.  I tried Parsec.  I could move around, but I couldn't actually start the game.

Adam

Most of not all the TI carts have keyboard equivalents for the joystick. Usually Q for joystick 1 or Y for joystick 2 works for fire, the period (.) should work as well. For single player games like Parsec, probably all 3 keys work for either joystick. The cart manual will have that info. I looked it up for you!

From the Parsec manual:

Parsec keys.jpg

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, ballyalley said:

I couldn't figure-out how to get the JS emulator to support joysticks

.cc  @Asmusr

For JS99er, on windows systems try Joy2key   https://joytokey.net/en/download

, to map Joystick position and buttons to keys--

I mapped the arrows  E,S,D,X and Q to the joystick and works with Parsec.

image.thumb.png.40381a12066f15811c30eda4a8646863.png

• Like 1