IGNORED

The Top 10 Atari 7800 Games of All Time

Pac-Lander

Hello all!

I'm building a TOP 10 7800 GAMES OF ALL TIME list, (including homebrews).

They are ranked with the following considerations in mind:

GRAPHIC ACHIEVEMENT

SOUND ACHIEVEMENT

GAME CONTROL

GAME DEPTH

FUN FACTOR

REPLAY FACTOR

Please let me know if there are any candidates that I've missed that you feel belong in the Top 10!

The candidates are below. 31 flavors to start, so to speak. (Little Food Fight reference there) :)

So far I have (in no particular order): 

1. Rikki & Vikki
  2. Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest
  3. Pac-Man Collection
  4. Commando
  5. Ikari Warriors
  6. Impossible Mission (the solvable one)
  7. Alien Brigade
  8. Joust
  9. Ninja Golf
  10. Midnight Mutants
  11. Xevious
  12. Mario Bros.
  13. Robotron 2084 
  14. Food Fight
  15. Ballblazer
  16. B*nq
  17. Beef Drop
  18. Plutos
  19. Pole Position II
  20. Centipede
  21. One-on-One Basketball
  22. Donkey Kong PK
  23. Donkey Kong Jr.
  24. Desert Falcon
  25. Galaga
  26. Froggie
  27. Dark Chambers
  28. KLAX
  29. Tower Toppler
  30. Mean 18 Ultimate Golf
  31. Xenophobe

Atari_7800_Logo.png

• Like 1

Your bottom seven games are some of my absolute favourites on the system!  Moon Cresta is a great port, and both that and Baby Pac-Man should certainly be near the top, as Baby Pac-Man is a great programming feat, introduces a new genre to the system, and is actually playable (although brutally difficult), unlike the arcade game, which is just too damn hard.

The lack of SFX just kills Klax for me on the 7800, so I don't disagree with the relatively low placement, but Tower Toppler deserves better.

• Like 2

Of course different strokes for different folks, but if it's including homebrews where's Dungeon Stalker?  IMHO that should be near the top.

[Edit] I didn't read "no particular order" - you mightw ant to change to bullet points instead of numeric list, that threw me off until I reread your post.

If I remember correctly the 7800 Game by Game Podcast did a more comprehensive review, and I think that was a broader view.   Although it was only top 5 and didn't incorporate homebrews.

There's probably a survey/thread on this somewhere in the forum, it'd be intersting to see how this community ranks everything.

2c time:

Pole Position 2 is awful, other than its graphics and I suppose its (unfortunate) closeness to the arcade... which I also hate. It's a terrible game, although I know some people do like it.

10 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

The lack of SFX just kills Klax for me on the 7800

Slight thread drift, but this must be ripe for a hack surely? What with us being on the brink of a new age of flash carts with at least POKEY availability in there. Admittedly I'm speaking as someone who was addicted to Klax on the Lynx back in the day so this is an entirely selfish request.

• Like 3

Stating "All Time" and including homebrews is a bit hard to determine as there are a lot of great titles in the works and no doubt more in the future.

Top Ten Retail releases, presented in descending alphabetical order:

01 - Robotron: 2084
02 - Ninja Golf
03 - Motor Psycho
04 - Midnight Mutants
05 - Joust
06 - Food Fight
07 - Desert Falcon
08 - Commando 
09 - BasketBrawl
10 - Alien Brigade

Honorable Mentions: Xevious, Xenophobe, Tower Toppler, Pole Position II, Ms. Pac-Man, Ikari Warriors, Galaga, Dig Dug, Dark Chambers, Crossbow, Centipede, Ballblazer, Asteroids.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, juansolo said:

Slight thread drift, but this must be ripe for a hack surely? What with us being on the brink of a new age of flash carts with at least POKEY availability in there. Admittedly I'm speaking as someone who was addicted to Klax on the Lynx back in the day so this is an entirely selfish request.

Might be too difficult to do this without the source code. Or perhaps it's been found by now?

Ballblazer may be a great demonstration on what kind of 3D graphics could be done, but honestly the game play is pretty terrible.  For having a POKEY chip in it the sound was unimpressive too.  I'm not sure that graphics alone should be enough to make the top 10.  I sought out and purchased a cart only to give it away after just a few weeks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I think the two best reasons to own a 7800 are the best home versions of Centipede and Asteroids. So I would add Asteroids.

7800 Asteroids is the best home console version, especially when combined with a Starplex controller.?

• Like 1

My top 10 official releases, rough order:

1. Food Fight
  2. Dig Dug
  3. Crossbow
  4. Desert Falcon
  5. Asteroids
  6. One-on-One
  7. Joust
  8. Galaga
  9. Xevious
  10. Ms. Pac Man

Wish I had a chance to play some of of the more rare titles (Midnight Mutants, Commando, Alien Brigade) so I couldn't include those without really playing them.

I don't have tons of homebrews, but here's my ranking based on what I own:

1. Pac Man Collection
  2. Dungeon Stalker
  3. KC Munchkin
  4. T:ME Salvo
  5. Beef Drop
  6. Scramble 
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 8:51 AM, nadir said:

Ballblazer may be a great demonstration on what kind of 3D graphics could be done, but honestly the game play is pretty terrible.  For having a POKEY chip in it the sound was unimpressive too.  I'm not sure that graphics alone should be enough to make the top 10.  I sought out and purchased a cart only to give it away after just a few weeks.

Terrible! Wow. I think the fun of this game is found in head to head, two player contests. I've always found the gameplay and control to be solid, intuitive and responsive. 

8 hours ago, desiv said:

What?

No Karateka??  ;-)

For me, everything by Bob pretty much...

And I do really like Joust, Galaga, and Xevious...

(Note:  Not excluding Rikki and Vikki for any reason other than I just don't have/haven't played it.  It looks great.)

Karateka is absolutely Top 10....in the worst games category! :D

Yep, Joust, Galaga and Xevious are all faves. And please do try Rikki and Vikki if you can - it is magnificent, and very possibly the best overall game on the console! Incredible sound/music, animation, character design, puzzle design....it really does have it all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1