Gunstar

My tricked-out 800

I have been slowly restoring, upgrading and modding my 800 over the past couple of years, and though there is more to come, including a Turbo Freezer, Sophia 2, Multi-PIA and more ports, I've come to a stopping point while I await these further upgrades to arrive or be produced and released.

What had been done so far, for almost a year, is an Incognito upgrade, a mod to the right cart port to support The!Cart in the left, video upgrade, keyboard and internal/underneath LED lighting and keyboard repairs.

What I just did this past week is install a Pokeymax Quad auto+covox and while I had the old gal open, and needed to install a stereo out for the Pokeymax anyway (headphone jack style), was also install a second SIO (one of 5, 3D printed ones I pre-ordered from The Brewing Academy) with Pokeymax out on the right rear underside and S-video, mono audio and composite video (the red RCA jack is composite video) outs underneath on the left side. If looking at it from the rear. I may still use the original SIO from time to time for dead-end devices or temporary connections if I borrow a peripheral from my 1200XL.

I did these mods because I have never liked the SIO and monitor cables sticking out the side of the 800 cluttering up my desktop and looking untidy to me. Plus I wanted standard audio/video outputs.

I'll eventually put up pics of it's guts in a blog in my profile that documents everything with pictures and descriptions of the process. I already have this blog up at the Atari Owner's Club site & forum (Administrated by @Timothy Kline who gave me the 800) I'll do the same for my tricked-out 1200XL eventually too, though I've shown it before in different threads.

20201016_223704.jpg

20201016_223624.jpg

20201016_223600.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 6

Let me be the first to say...... awesome! That was great to see right before bedtime. (God I hate getting old) 10:00...10:00 for f's sake. Ugggghhhh.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Very nice work on adding the extra I/O jacks. Looks like it came from the factory like that 👍 .

• Thanks 1

Great mods, and done very cleanly! I am currently contemplating how to reroute the SIO and A/V as well, as with FujiNet the side has become quite cluttered. I was just going to move everything to the back, but now you have given me something to think about :)

• Thanks 1

That's a very clever place to hide some additional connection ports! Will keep that in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic job, looks like it came out of the box that way, very clean, and great locations.

Now if only there were a way to divert the front joystick ports, that cable dangling out the front always annoyed me.

• Like 1