IGNORED

Anyone ever replace a Jaguar cartridge connector?

chicgamer

EDIT: Rather than start a new thread, I'm reusing this one. See my latest post about replacing a cartridge connector.

Hey, everyone!

This week, I started having an issue with my Jaguar. Whenever I try playing a game, I'm getting some distortion in the image. Also, some carts aren't being recognized by the Jaguar (for example, Rebooteroids).

I'm converting RGB SCART to component and running that into my Trinitron. This setup has worked well for quite a while, and this issue just started this week.

As you can see, when I turn on the Jaguar, the BJL screen comes up fine. It's only when I try to run games that I get issues. Also, when I try to plug the Jaguar's SCART into my OSSC, I'm getting a no sync message.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

53 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

This week, I started having an issue with my Jaguar. Whenever I try playing a game, I'm getting some distortion in the image.

Check pin 20 on your SCART cable:

scart%20plug.png

It may be bent or recessed inside the plug. Another possibility is that the wire inside the cable is failing.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try this:

1 hour ago, chicgamer said:

Also, some carts aren't being recognized by the Jaguar (for example, Rebooteroids).

The cartridge port on your Jaguar could be dirty. You can clean it using contact cleaner spray (best), isopropyl alcohol, or just medical-grade ethanol (if you don't have anything else handy). Try cleaning the contacts on the cartridges themselves as well.

Sometimes you have to remove/insert the cartridges a few times before it works, it's a bit finicky.

If nothing helps, the cartridge port on your Jaguar may have loose or bent contacts. Look closely and check that all the metal parts look the same.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response! The pins of my SCART cable seem fine, and I did a continuity test on R, G, B, and sync, and all tested okay. It does appear that my cable is using composite video for sync instead of CSYNC (pin 20 of my SCART cable connects to 11B of the Jaguar AV connector instead of 5B). I don't know if that matters at all. :)

I should have mentioned that I did clean my cart connector, and I've done a visual inspection of the pins and don't see any issues. If a pin on the cartridge port weren't connecting correctly, could it create the image issues I'm having?

EDIT1:

Disregard my comment about composite connecting to pin 20. After looking at the SCART pinout, I see that is the way it's supposed to be.

EDIT2:

I'm guessing a 1.5 kΩ resistor would be too much, right? Unfortunately, I don't have any 1.2 kΩ resistors handy.

55 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

It does appear that my cable is using composite video for sync instead of CSYNC (pin 20 of my SCART cable connects to 11B of the Jaguar AV connector instead of 5B). I don't know if that matters at all. :)

In this case, you don't need the resistor, the problem is elsewhere.

If you have a SCART-to-composite adapter, or if your TV set has a second SCART input that supports only composite (not RGB), try using it to see how the composite signal looks.

Also, try wiggling the cable in case this is an intermittent issue.

55 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

I should have mentioned that I did clean my cart connector, and I've done a visual inspection of the pins and don't see any issues. If a pin on the cartridge port weren't connecting correctly, could it create the image issues I'm having?

No, this is something unrelated. But it could explain why some of your cartridges aren't recognized.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

So, it actually appears that the issue is with my SCART switch and not my console (thankfully). I didn't think to check this, because the switch is working fine for my other consoles (except for my N64). It was also working fine for my Jaguar up until recently. I just did a search, and it appears that there is a known sync issue with this switch. I just don't know why it didn't present itself previously.

I also think I've determined what is up with Rebooteroids. It looks like the cartridge pins don't come down quite as far on this cartridge as on my other cartridges. Rebooteroids used to work fine on my Jaguar, but then I got a Skunkboard from SellMyRetro that didn't have a beveled connector. I think maybe it bent my pins in enough that the Rebooteroids cart isn't making a good connection.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Disregard what I said about Rebooteroids. When looking at other carts, I see the connector really isn't any different. Seems like I'm learning a lot through my mistakes today.

Rebooteroids.jpg

• Like 2

I have a new issue. After everything I did with my Jaguar over the weekend, only to realize that the issue wasn't with the Jaguar itself, an actual issue did arise—I have a bent pin on the cartridge connector, and now my Jaguar is inoperable. Sigh.

My plan is to get a new cartridge connector from Best (I confirmed that they are in stock), but their website claims that this is a very difficult fix to make and strongly cautions anyone without very expensive equipment from trying it.

I have a Hakko desoldering gun and intermediate soldering skills. Replacing the cartridge connector doesn't seem like a huge deal compared with other fixes I made, but I also don't want to erroneously think I can do this and end up destroying my Jaguar's motherboard.

Does anyone have experience making this fix? Is it as difficult as Best's website makes it out to be?

• Sad 1

Before ordering a new connector, try using a thin wire (solid core, not stranded) to bend the contact back into place. You'll need to be patient, and it doesn't always work, but I've managed to do it successfully once or twice.

If the connector is shot, you'll need to replace it. It's not as difficult as Best describes it, but it's definitely not easy either.

This topic should help you:

I recommend reading it before doing anything, because it's easy to accidentally damage the motherboard or the connector.

• Like 1

Thanks! I tried bending the pin back into place over the weekend, but I didn't have any luck. I'll give it another try like you suggest and see if I can do it. I definitely want to avoid having to replace the cartridge connector if I can avoid it. If it comes to that, I might try to find someone with a bit more experience to do it.

So, based on the diagram on this site, the cartridge pin that is bent is 15A, which carries the EA16 signal (I have no idea what that is). I was able to bend this pin up a bit, but I'm getting the same results I did previously. RGB isn't producing an image at all on my TV, and when I try composite, I only get a white screen. S-video isn't producing an image, either. Is it possible that this one pin is creating this issue, or is it possible that there is another issue?

EA16 is one of the address lines to the ROMs, so the games will definitely not work without this signal. But I wouldn't expect the symptom to be video issues, it should "only" cause the red background at startup.

Do you still get the roar sound at startup?

Try also short-circuiting pins 34B and 35B and powering up your console with no cartridge inserted:

port_cartouche.thumb.jpg.072adcaf516012dc1b3aa9a38b990d5e.jpg

1 hour ago, chicgamer said:

Is it possible that when the cartridge pin bent, it shorted something out?

It seems unlikely to me. I think your Jaguar has another problem that's unrelated to the bent pin. Unfortunately, since it is a pretty complex console, it is hard to diagnose issues, especially remotely.

1 minute ago, cubanismo said:

Doesn't Best repair Jaguars?

Best say they do a lot of things. They'll even invoice you. You can even pay them. Then they just cancel the order without any contact or notice and refund and won't respond any more.  Best can shove it up their a$$.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

I should note I've not worked with Best for repairs so I can't recommend one way or the other.  I bought a copy of Super Burnout from them and it was a smooth transaction, but that's a lot simpler than a repair.

I was ordering a TIA chip, which they had in stock, invoiced me, got paid, and then cancelled and wouldn't even respond or tell me why.  Brad must have been off his meds that day.. and for the next few weeks.  Not an experience I want to repeat.

Best E. (Brad) has a reputation.  Not always a good one.  It is hit or miss.  I have personally not had a grand issue with B.E., but others have.  If you go through Best, be VERY precise in what you want and have your talking points ready.  No beating around the bush or double-talk or chit chat.  I try as hard as I can to find alternative sources.  However, sometimes it is unavoidable as he DOES have the goods you need.  I just wish he would run out of that Atari packing tape that you splatters all over his packages.  I don't like advertising to THE WORLD what I am ordering.  

22 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I just wish he would run out of that Atari packing tape that you splatters all over his packages.  I don't like advertising to THE WORLD what I am ordering.  

Given what the "Atari" company has become nowadays, I understand why you would feel embarrassed.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Haha 2