IGNORED

HSC17 Round 19: MISSILE COMMAND

Have been playing this game so many times with my dad back in 1989 or so. We played it mostly on the 2600 (that version is comparable, although it is different). Although I personally can not decide which version I prefer (a8 or 2600) I think the 2600 version is slightly smoother / quicker. One thing is (for me) a fact: Missile Command on atari is AWESOME. 

The game is old, and compared to other classics the game concept is not even that 'interesting', but the game itself is SO challenging. It happens many times that when all my cities are lost, I want to play it one more time... and one more time... okay this is the last time.... and one more time haha.

I saw the game in the HSC and I thought: yeah let me play!

• Like 2

I find that Missile Command is historically interesting as it indirectly paved the way for Ms. Pac-Man. If I recall the history correctly, GCC had developed mod boards for the arcade version of MC which they were brought to court for, but settled outside of court. Part of the deal was public but the one about they were not allowed to do it again was secret. Thus they had this Crazy Otto mod for Pac-Man and told Bally Midway they legally could sell it (which was a white lie due to the non-disclosed parts of the MC agreement), or partner with them which lead to converting Crazy Otto into Ms. Pac-Man (and making Namco upset because they were working on their own, official update to Pac-Man).

• Like 3

On 10/22/2020 at 10:12 PM, Marius said:

"Are you a God?"

:grin:

On 10/23/2020 at 4:08 AM, chevymad said:

I remember as a kid missing the bus because I rolled the score on this. Think it might have been worth it though! lol

Don't miss the bus this time - THIS ROUND ENDS TOMORROW SUNDAY AT A RANDOM TIME :!:

McKong's HSC record is 318,315 :ponder:

Finally gave it a try with trackball mouse emulation in Atari800MacX using a Logitech trackball only to resolve to try it using a real trackball as soon as I have dug mine up from the basement. Vertical axis was inverted so I did not get the hoped for boost in score...just a bonus point ;) 

• Like 3