IGNORED

Light Sixer Repair - C011903 orientation

Voltiur

Hello.

I have a small problem with orientation of C011903 in PAL Light Sixer (UK Version).

Normally that should be obvious, just align notch with socket. But in every photo I've found online of this board (C012283 Rev B) notch points left, and on mine it points right.

For example here is the same board: C012283 Rev B on AtariAge . Photo of mine is in attachments.

This could be factory error, or someone else tried to repair it before me. Second option is even more possible considering C010745 is in white socket, which I've also never seen.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20201017_201918.jpg

On 10/17/2020 at 1:21 PM, Voltiur said:

Hello.

I have a small problem with orientation of C011903 in PAL Light Sixer (UK Version).

Normally that should be obvious, just align notch with socket. But in every photo I've found online of this board (C012283 Rev B) notch points left, and on mine it points right.

For example here is the same board: C012283 Rev B on AtariAge . Photo of mine is in attachments.

This could be factory error, or someone else tried to repair it before me. Second option is even more possible considering C010745 is in white socket, which I've also never seen.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_20201017_201918.jpg

Whichever doink added the sockets didn't orient them correctly.  The PCB traces dictate the direction of the chip, and it's plain to see that they are the same on both boards.  So the chip goes in the same direction on both examples.

1 hour ago, ChildOfCv said:

Whichever doink added the sockets didn't orient them correctly.  The PCB traces dictate the direction of the chip, and it's plain to see that they are the same on both boards.  So the chip goes in the same direction on both examples.

Thank you! I'm off to correct this!

On 10/18/2020 at 11:44 PM, john_q_atari said:

I wouldn't touch the socket if it works. Not worth risking damaging the pcb with the heat from whatever tool you use to remove and reorient the socket.

If there is sufficient headroom they could just plug a new correctly orientated socket in the old one and plug the IC into that.

Might want to glue the two socket together to be sure that both the new socket and the IC do not come off together should they need to remove the IC again. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, john_q_atari said:

Or carve out a new and bigger notch! ?

(Just kidding about carving out a bigger notch. Don't do that.)

Sadly, our manufacturing department did the equivalent to me for a short run of custom Raspberry Pi hats.
An IDC 2x10 way connector shroud was put in backwards, so they cut an extra notch.
I saw the original notch but not the "corrected" notch and promptly let the blue magic smoke out of the RPi.

It was too hard to remove the shroud and do it properly but at least I went back and filled in the original (but wrong) notch with plastic filler to stop a repeat.
And we gave manufacturing an earful for the next run ;)