IGNORED

NES-style Game & Watch - What would you like to see (and buy)?

Pixelboy

With the soon-to-be-released Super Mario Bros Game & Watch, an interesting question - worthy of a forum thread - popped into my brain today.

Given a form factor similar to the SMB Game & Watch, what NES games (or maybe colorized Game Boy games) would you like to see released (aside from Zelda, which is obvious and could possibly be actually released by Nintendo next year to mark Zelda's 35th anniversary). Sega Master System is permitted as well, if you want.

The form factor limits the controls to a D-Pad, two fire buttons, and some smaller buttons like START and SELECT, and as a general rule, you can only put up to three games on a single device. Low-power pause (i.e. save-state) function is permitted.

I have plenty of ideas, but I'd rather let you guys and gals voice your own sure-to-buy ideas before I disclose mine.  :)

EDIT: I should point out that some games are already available in the Game-&-Watch style, namely the Micro Arcade series. If this is news to you, just do a search for "Micro Arcade" on YouTube and you'll see a few.

Edited by Pixelboy

I just can't play NES Bomberman after playing the PC Engine/TG-16 port... it's just superior in every way.

I think a G&W style handheld containing all of the black box NES games minus the light gun and Rob games would be cool...

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I just can't play NES Bomberman after playing the PC Engine/TG-16 port... it's just superior in every way.

I think a G&W style handheld containing all of the black box NES games minus the light gun and Rob games would be cool...

Bomberman 2 aside, I'd agree with this as it would be a fantastic bundle for a handheld like that with all those little black box titles.  Sure Mario would be a re-run, but I think it would make an incredible package with solid variety.

8 minutes ago, tman03 said:

Dragon Warrior, anyone?

If we're talking the GBC version since the first post said that's allowed I'd agree with you.  The old NES one is a tad rough right down to all the manual annoyances with menu based stair taking and door use, and it's rotten save method is very anti-pick up and play.

Nothing really.. because NES games are the most available games anywhere in all sorts of formats, and we've been playing NES games in handheld format for literally years either emulated on the PSP or their own ports on the GBC/GBA/DS/3DS, and now even the Switch. And then you could extend that to the SMS as well (I literally just finished playing through Ys on the PSP a few weeks ago).. So handheld isn't exactly a novelty anymore even with the G&W form factor.  

What I'd wouldn't mind seeing is some more LCD reissues like they did with G&W Ball. Now THOSE games are not exactly easy to find anymore with that original technology.  

BUT, with all that said, I'm still buying the new SMB G&W though. Maybe a couple. ? 

I was expecting a little more interest in the subject of this thread (or maybe I'm just too impatient) but alright, I'll just post my ideas and leave it at that. :)

I think Nintendo could go beyond the original SMB (and Zelda) and give fans a few more "NES Game & Watch" offerings. Super Mario Bros 3 is an obvious one and they wouldn't even need to put any other games on the device, it would just sell like hotcakes on its own (although a save-state function or a general save feature on the map screen would be a must).

Here are a few more suggestions that I think could sell pretty well under the Game & Watch form factor:

- Donkey Kong + Donkey Kong Jr + Donkey Kong 3 (please, Nintendo, include the fourth screen in DK!)

- Mario Bros + Wrecking Crew + Dr. Mario (not sure this one would see great sales, but it offers variety at least)

- Punch-Out (like SMB3, it doesn't need anything else to sell well, but the controls need to be really tight and responsive)

- R.C Pro AM + R.C. Pro AM II + Cobra Triangle (the screen would need to be very crisp, to avoid motion blur)

I'm excluding Metroid because I don't think the NES game on its own would be enticing enough to sell well. Although if they included a colorized version of Metroid II, it might be worth it... Then again, nah, what people would really want is Super Metroid and that goes beyond the scope of this forum thread.

Where third-parties are concerned, I think Capcom and Konami would stand to benefit the most from jumping onto the Game & Watch form factor with their NES libraries.

Capcom could put Mega Man 1+2+3 on one device, and Mega Man 4+5+6 on another, and perhaps even do another device with colorized versions of Mega Man III, IV and V on Game Boy. If I had the chance to be involved in the design of those devices, given the need to often jump and shoot at the same time in Mega Man games, I think it would be more comfortable to have the fire button as a face button and the jump button as a shoulder button. It would take a little getting used to, but it would probably be less of a stress on the right thumb given the smaller form factor. But then again, two face buttons could work well too, I suppose, if it works for Super Mario Bros.

I expect Capcom would also see good sales with these devices:

- 1942 + 1943 (not sure this one would be all that playable on a small screen. The sprites are already small on a regular TV.)
- DuckTales 1 + 2
- Commando + Bionic Commando
- Ghosts 'n Goblins + Gargoyle's Quest II

DuckTales in particular is an almost cathartic experience when you pogo-stick all over the place, and would be well-suited for rainy days or during long car/bus/train rides.

Meanwhile, Konami could partner up with other parties to release these:

- Castlevania 1 + 2 + 3
- Contra + Super C (perhaps include Operation C on Game Boy as a bonus, if possible?)
- Gradius + Life Force
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Arcade Game + TMNT III - The Manhattan Project

And finally, here are other good one-off collection possibilities:

- Adventure Island 1 + 2 + 3
- Adventure of Lolo 1 + 2 + 3
- Batman + Batman - Return of the Joker
- Bubble Bobble + Bubble Bobble Part 2 + Rainbow Islands
- Double Dragon 1 + 2 + 3
- Dragon Warrior 1 + 2 + 3
- Ninja Gaiden 1 + 2 + 3
- Shatterhand + Shadow of the Ninja (both were made by Natsume)
- Solomon's Key + Fire 'n Ice
- Wizards and Warriors 1 + 2 + 3

I think the Batman one in particular would be very interesting: Shape the thing like a Batarang and Batman fans will eat it up. Emulating Return of the Joker would require some work because it uses an advanced mapper, but it's not an unsurmountable technical obstacle.

There are lots of NES games that are really good, but not quite good enough to warrant the investment in hardware as Game & Watch one-offs. I think mostly of games like Blaster Master and Mighty Final Fight when I say this. Also, I'm not a fan of sports game on NES (although I enjoyed playing Blades of Steel BITD) so I wouldn't buy any sports collections on the Game & Watch form factor, and I would expect that many other people wouldn't be all that interested either. I should also mention I would prefer seeing a Game Boy Classic with 25+ games on it rather than seeing individual Game-&-Watch-style Game Boy re-releases, aside from the Mega Man GB games and perhaps the Zelda GB/GBC games. As for the Sega Master System, I don't see any games worth converting to Game-&-Watch-style format, mostly because all the good games were done better on the Genesis. And they've already done the Game Gear Micro thing (sigh...)

Of course, it's an understatement that all of the above is a glorified pipe dream. We'll be extremely lucky if Nintendo just does Zelda in Game & Watch format next year (let's be honest, they likely won't). But it's nice to think of the most interesting possibilities. The Game & Watch form factor is an attractive one for impulse-buys.

Thanks for reading. :) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NE146 said:

we've been playing NES games in handheld format for literally years either emulated on the PSP or their own ports on the GBC/GBA/DS/3DS, and now even the Switch.

This was my thought as well reading OP’s posting. Nothing within your restrictions off the top of my head would attract me to one. Sorry. Just my $0.02. 

Yeah I have been doing it on GBA since they had kits that needed a usb cable jacked into it, or into a dock you pop the game in to flash stuff using special software.  PocketNES forever.  I still use it on my Omega when the feeling is there to bother.  Yet on there, the screen is compressed as it is with SMB1 on GBA's NES Classics series.  Plays right, mostly looks right other than the compression shimmer, sounds great, and can save it whenever.

Oooh, I like this topic! And truth be told, it's an idea that's been floating around my head since even before this new Nintendo G&W SMB thing was announced - that Data East/My Arcade handheld with the NES ports of Bad Dudes, Heavy Barrel, Burgertime etc. was what got my mind rolling when it was gifted to me this past spring. And now that Nintendo has jumped on the dedicated retro handheld train, the options have opened up even more.

(Regarding the SMB G&W, both my player and my collector sides are in conflict, so much so that I really want two of 'em; one to play, one to keep minty sealed fresh. That's at least $100 out of the gate though - and that's not even taking into account any potential problems in obtaining them; please don't let this be an NES Classic situation - so I'm hoping to drop some Christmas present gift ideas at opportune moments.)

As far as Nintendo goes, The Legend of Zelda is a pretty obvious one, as would be Metroid I'd think, but the release after SMB I really want? I would love love LOVE to see a dedicated Super Mario Bros. 3 handheld. I can already picture it, looking not unlike that Mario the Juggler Game & Watch cosmetically. The ability to save would be nice, but they could release SMB3 as-is, no extras of any kind, and I would be absolutely satisfied. (Honestly, as things stand, my guess is these three games are more likely than not to get a G&W treatment of some sort anyway.)

Punch-Out!! (the version sans Mike Tyson, I would imagine) and the Donkey Kong trilogy (yes, even that third one) would get my attention in G&W form, as well. Not sure about Little Mac, but just like Zelda and SMB3, I think we're more likely than not to see something with DK anyway. Oh, and Kirby; I'm not a big Kirby fan, but I can see a G&W there, too.

Also, a handheld dedicated to the earlier, simpler (read: black box) NES games; it would probably have to be a compilation of some sort to justify the $50 price tag, but something focusing on the relatively non-major properties, like Wrecking Crew, Pro Wrestling and so on, would be pretty cool IMO. Though really, I'm easily pleased; gimme Kung Fu - and maybe the Japan-only Kung Fu 2 as a bonus - and I'd be totally happy. (Though from a realistic standpoint, Kung Fu would almost certainly have to be included in a compilation; I highly doubt it's 'big' enough, popularity-wise and/or gameplay-wise, to carry a handheld all by itself. Still, I'm such a sucker for that game, on pretty much any platform, that it's fun for me to dream about.)

Now, since other companies have been doing this sort of thing before Nintendo, with NES ports of their respective games no less, I'd like to think that Nintendo's jumping on board has the possibility to really open the floodgates. Especially since some of this stuff has appeared on dedicated retro consoles and handhelds already.

I'm a Double Dragon fanatic; whoever owns that property nowadays, if they wanted to release a handheld with the NES trilogy, maybe even Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team too if they could swing it rights-wise, that would be the very definition of "must have" to me. Throwing Renegade on there as well would just be the icing. And if original coin-op versions could be included (or just the coin-op versions; I'd be totally fine with that), well, that's the kind of announcement with the potential to totally make me flip out. [BTW, just to stave off the inevitable "hey man..." reply, yes, I know Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team wasn't a coin-op.]

Oh, and Konami could basically give themselves free $$$ here. Their NES Castlevania and Contra trilogies alone, never mind all of the standalone stuff like Jackal and Rush'n Attack and Monster in my Pocket that could make for a phenomenal handheld comp, those would be no-brainer purchases. Heck, just an NES Castlevania handheld would be a lot of easy money in their pockets!

Speaking of Konami, if they could work out any licensing issues (and considering they released that mini coin-op, they certainly can), a handheld dedicated to the NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, complete with molded green shell-like casing, that has the very real possibility of being #1 on my personal want list. Certainly it would be tough to please everybody; that first NES TMNT is divisive (though personally, it's actually my favorite TMNT game), the second game would be FAR better served with the coin-op version, and if they included Turtles in Time for the sake of completion, do they use the arcade version or the (IMO, better) SNES port? And what about Tournament Fighters? Maybe just throw it all on? Or stick with NES and NES only? I guess it wouldn't matter too much to me personally; if it's classic TMNT from that era, I'd want it. (Although, a handheld with just the original arcade game, and maybe Turtles in Time, not unlike that aforementioned mini coin-op, is something I absolutely could, and happily would, live with - and bonus points if they used the artwork from the original machine on the front of it. Those images are positively burnt into my memory, such was the impact of that game on me - and countless others no doubt - back in the day.)

Fun topic!

• Thanks 1