IGNORED

Are there any extant examples of, e.g., German or Italian TI-99 developers using the Speech Synthesizer for non-English speech?

pixelpedant

Now, obviously, both the Speech Synthesizer's built in vocabulary, and the Text-to-Speech engine's allophone library have been built around English, and the General American accent.  And diphthongs, consonant clusters, and certain consonants will be missing, when trying to finagle it into producing any other language (to varying extents).  Encoding TMS5220 LPC directly from recorded samples would probably be the most desirable option, but tools by which to do that were never available to the community at large (and are only minimally available today). 

But understanding all of that, are there any extant examples of folks trying to convince (mostly likely) the allophone engine to speak broken German or Italian (which I just name as they're two languages pretty well represented in the TI-99 library), or any another non-English language? 

• Like 1

The Berlin PEB Speech card (an adapter for the speech synthesizer to put it into the PEB) gave a power-up greeting in German. Only about 25 of these cards were built, however. I do have one in my collection that I bought from Winfried Winkler's original production run. The SNUG SPVMC also uses a lot of the code from this card (I just don't remember if it presents the German greeting or not).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ksarul said:

The Berlin PEB Speech card (an adapter for the speech synthesizer to put it into the PEB) gave a power-up greeting in German. Only about 25 of these cards were built, however. I do have one in my collection that I bought from Winfried Winkler's original production run. The SNUG SPVMC also uses a lot of the code from this card (I just don't remember if it presents the German greeting or not).

mine is in English :)