IGNORED

Sub game on the ST

I'm trying to recall the name of a game I spent too much time playing on my ST. It was a simulation of cold war sub combat. It took place entirely on a map view, where you controlled NATO subs, including British and US I'm not sure if others as well. There was no "internal view" or anything like that, you pointed and clicked on the map to perform operations at a fleet level.

One key bit of gameplay I recall was when your US subs had SUBROCs on them and you'd launch and then wait for them to drop into the water right over the enemy while you sent your subs in the opposite direction. I also recall the feeling of joy when you got a Trafalgar class into Swordfish range and watch it run down even the fastest Soviet subs with ease.

It was not Red Storm Rising, 688 or any of the other "common" ones. Nor was it Harpoon, although it felt more like that that any of the others I can find. This was pure tactical combat with no frills.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 2:32 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Try with little search at atarimania:

http://www.atarimania.com/pgelstsoft.awp?system=S&type=G&genre=122&step=25

Or go in section ST TT FALCON, Games, Advanced search, Genre - where can select Simulation - Sea   .

YES! The screen shots don't show that I recall, but I'm pretty sure it is "Under the Ice". I'm going to try to track down the author.

• 5 months later...

I had a great email exchange with the author about the game's origins. He noted that it was used at the Naval War College, which is interesting! It was written in "pure" GEM, so it also ran on PCs with GEM installed, which is apparently the version they used. It was inspired by an article in the Proceedings of the Naval Institute on sonar, which is why it is to some degree a sonar simulation.

Unfortunately he no longer has any materials related to the game, I was hoping he might have an original manual, which is lacking.

I found two contemporary reviews, one in Computer Gaming World and another in ST-Log. If anyone finds more examples, please let me know!