IGNORED

8bit-Unity version 0.3.5

It's been a while since I posted any info relating to 8bit-Unity on this forum, so with version 0.3.5 coming out in Novembre 2020 I wanted to give a recap of functionality added over the past 18 months.

Since version 0.3.0, these 5 platforms are supported: Apple//, Atari 8bit, C64, Oric1/Atmos, and Atari Lynx (plan to add support for the 7800, 5200, NES and BCC (all 6502 based)).

The SDK code is modular (to save on memory footprint), with libraries for multi-color graphics (9 colors on Atari 8 bit), sprites handling, music playback, GUI widgets, on-screen animation, and so on. Best of all, the asset pipeline is streamlined so that the same tools are used to create bitmap/sprites for all platforms.

The SDK includes a good number of Tech-Demos, with code re-usable in other projects:

- Demo Disc (showing usage of every module) 

- 8bit-Slicks: Top-down racer (full-game)

- 8bit-Grubs: Simple artillery (demo game)

- 8Bit-Goblin: Point-n-Click adventure (demo game)

- 8bit-OS: App based graphical os, using widget system.

Finally, the 8bit-Unity SDK is compatible with a nice little piece of hardware called the 8bit-Hub, which I developped specially to provide Wifi, SD storage, Mouse (and in future co-processing) to the supported platforms.

I hope this information is useful to people interested in developping multi-platform games/apps. For my part, I will keep developping this project in coming years to add more features and more target platforms!

(If you are still reading this, then head out to 8bit-unity.com to download the latest version!)

Edited by 8bit-Dude
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5