IGNORED

Reasonable price?

davidcalgary29

No, that's really inflated, imho. $500 for a minty boxed one, maybe. I wouldn't pay $700 unless it was complete, mint and included a few CIB games. That's being realistic, not typical "ebay prices".

Loose, working ones generally go around $200-$300 Then, depending on the game, if any are included or not, whether they're loose or CIB, or least has an overlay and the condition of everything will vary widely in cost. Check sold listings. Overlays are essential for the "Vectrex Experience" too, imho, so always try to make sure those are included. Generally, loose carts are pretty cheap, but if you run across some of the rarer ones like Star Castle, Pole Position, and Polar Rescue, those will be the most expensive, upwards of $100. CIB will be much more, obviously. Again, check sold listings.

Besides eBay, here on AA, Facebook group - Vectrex Fans Unite and the Vector Gaming Forum are good places to frequent for good deals and info.

Bottom line is, be patient and wait for the right one to pop up. Good deals are out there, even on ebay. ;) Good luck & I hope you're able to score one! There's nothing else like it and it's absolutely worth owning if you dig pre-NES consoles. ✌️

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
  • Like 3

I had been considering a Vetcrex for the last 20 years and have explored everywhere and anywhere they are sold and IMO eBay is the best source, but Amazon, Mercari and Bonanza are good sources as well. Last year I finally broke down and bought one. I paid $450 for a system, controller, 4 games and 5 overlays. In the last 5 years, I have not seen a console that sold for less than $400 without games. They are becoming harder to find every day and are not going to get cheaper.

Edited by colecovisionary
  • Like 1

SiLicOne tOaD says "No, that's really inflated, imho. $500 for a minty boxed one, maybe. I wouldn't pay $700 unless it was complete, mint and included a few CIB games. That's being realistic, not typical "ebay prices". When you find this unicorn $200/$300 system by all means show us all! I haven't seen one that cheap in 5 years. Really, I must see all those amazing $200 working Vectrex systems out there.

Edited by colecovisionary

$400 loose is absolutely outrageous! It better have a good, working controller for that price. Otherwise, please don't pay that.. You're screwing yourself over. There's still plenty out there. Like I said, be patient and keep on the lookout for better deals. You'll run across something sooner or later. ;)

• Like 2

Lord Innit, once again I ask to be shown these prices that you and Silicone Toad have seen, I showed you mine, now you show me yours. Check eBay right now for sold listing and this $400.50 system is the cheapest you will find https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-GCE-Vectrex-Working-Game-Console-Includes-Controller-Games-Rare-Vintage/203144032917?hash=item2f4c53f295:g:tiUAAOSwSlRfi8EQ

And here's one in the range you purport https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vectrex-Game-Console-For-Parts-Or-Repair/303731045182?hash=item46b7c7f33e:g:QNEAAOSwH5tfixeG

P.S. Who in Their right mind would even consider buying a system without a fully working controller when replacing a controller gonna cost you at least $150?

By the way, There is a very trustworthy and skilled repair shop for Vectrex consoles and controllers out there called Pinball Services. I had a controller with one rheostat that the carbon pad had been scraped off and replaced with a glued on piece of aluminum foil. I thought was completely irrepairable. For $60 they not only repaired it and replaced the overlay with one that looks stock, they calibrated it. It came back working better than my other undamaged stock controller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VECTREX-CONSOLE-REPAIR/352972894782?hash=item522ed2f23e:g:3U4AAOSwLkReSFkd

• Like 1

Thanks, guys -- these price estimates help quite a bit. I'm in Canada, so shipping is going to cost about a hundred bucks from any source in any country. I'll search around a bit more, but will look at the $400-$500 price point as being reasonable for a working unit with at least one working controller and about five games with overlays. I've also asked to join the Facebook group, and will see what happens with that.

I'll look at a European purchase, although I suppose I'll need a step-down converter for that.

Hmm, yeah. Prices in America are a bit different. I bought my Vectrex at eBay Kleinanzeigen, which is the flea market version with no bidding, no service. It's not even eBay anymore, it's another company that bought the name. I would have a look at craigslist. I also see people putting in overpriced Vertexes month after month but they are not getting sold

Edited by Dieter Laser
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dieter Laser said:

Hmm, yeah. Prices in America are a bit different. I bought my Vectrex at eBay Kleinanzeigen, which is the flea market version with no bidding, no service. It's not even eBay anymore, it's another company that bought the name. I would have look at craigslist. I also see people putting in overpriced Vertexes month after month but they are not getting sold

Yes it seems that they are a different in price.  

All I can say is, I'm glad I got mine when I did in 2013. £129 for a loose console and Minestorm overlay plus six CIB games and second controller, and that was  including postage too.  The seller packed it all incredibly well too.  

7 minutes ago, Lord Innit said:

Yes it seems that they are a different in price.  

All I can say is, I'm glad I got mine when I did in 2013. £129 for a loose console and Minestorm overlay plus six CIB games and second controller, and that was  including postage too.  The seller packed it all incredibly well too.  

I have no idea when I got mine, £90 rings a bell and I seem to remember that hurt at the time. I've got a copy of Protector from the original batch (quick google) so it must have been before 2003...

@Lord InnitDo we need a Vectrex Vestibule?  :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, uczmeg said:

Was the Vectrex more popular in the UK/Europe than the US?

They seem pretty easy to get and reading the above the prices seem a fair bit lower.

Maybe most Vectrexes in the USA are now in the hands of collectors for keeps, while here in Europe we are  just starting to head that way.....

Can confirm that the UK prices have stayed pretty similar for years. I've always watched them but never went for it. I will likely regret it, as one day it will go up. $700 here would likely get you a near complete if not fully complete set in mixed poor to fair conditions. 

Its probably one of the few systems then that is cheaper here than the states. If you can drive to the seller, that helps as some are reluctant to post. 

Shipping to US seems dirt cheap compared to the other way round. I'm assuming Americans don't pay 25% extra for "import tax" either. That's on both item value and the cost of shipping combined. 

• Like 1

What are the power requirements for the Vectrex? I have a Zendure Passport "international travel adapter" that I bought off of Kickstarter. From the Zendure website: "most modern electronics are quite happy running at anything between 100v and 250v". Is this information accurate or just reckless?

On 10/18/2020 at 1:59 PM, Lord Innit said:

220 to 240 volts in the EU.  I wouldn't call the Vectrex modern today. If that Zendure Passport can step up the voltage from 110 to 220 then ?

Most wall wart power convertors are not suitable for Vectrex, or other old electronics, uses.  

You will want to stay with a sine wave type of power converter. In the USA or Canada that would be an external Step-Up or Step-Down power transformer when used a foreign (UK / Euro / Nordic / Japan) Vectrex.

Something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-voltage-converter-Transformer-Charging/dp/B00EEJZQ5W/ref=sr_1_5 

Or you could also use a Double-Conversion, Pure Sine Wave, UPS. More expensive.

The Vectrex needs at least 40 Watts of power. Really, it does better with 55 to 60 Watts. 

When determining a Step-Up/Down transformer to use I suggest one that can supply at least 75 to 100 Watts continuous.

From the various region Vectrex rear panel labels.

GCE Vectrex USA Voltage : 120 VAC

MB - GCE Vectrex, Canadian Voltage : 120VAC

MB Vectrex UK Voltage : 240VAC 

MB Vectrex Australia Voltage : 240VAC 

MB Vectrex Euro (France) Voltage : 220 VAC 

MB Vectrex Euro (Germany) Voltage : 220 VAC 

MB Vectrex Euro (Netherlands) Voltage : 220 VAC 

MB Vectrex Euro (Spain) Voltage : 220 VAC 

MB Vectrex Euro (Italy) Voltage : 220 VAC 

MB Vectrex Euro (Sweden) Voltage : 220 VAC 

MB Vectrex Euro (Finland) Voltage : 220 VAC 

Bandai Vectrex, JAPAN Voltage : 100VAC

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Try a WANTED ad on your local Craigslist (or similar)...  I did that about 5 years ago.  The ad ran for about 4 weeks with no bites, and then one day a guy messaged me that he was willing to sell his.  It was a unit in very good working order, one working controller and no other items.  I was able to test it with Minestorm and it seemed great.  The price was $200 CND, about $150 US at that time.