IGNORED

Reasonable price?

davidcalgary29

Ten years ago (and even five years ago) is really an eternity when it comes to the prices of vintage working consoles. Compounded with the fact that the Vectrex (like a few others) cannot really be considered "common" anymore. And, different regions will have very different pricing depending on the supply/demand in that region.

I cannot speak for Europe as I live in the USA. There may be deals to be had in Europe for a MB version of the Vectrex....or maybe not. But what I can speak of are USA prices on these things after struggling to obtain a nice clean working one over the past couple of years.

You are not getting a "minty boxed" Vectrex in the USA for $500 unless the person selling it has no idea of the value. You can get a really nice condition console with a controller (loose and working of course) for about $400-$500 minus the shipping. You can buy just a controller for $150-$200 if you feel like you need a spare. You can get a crap unit with issues for $200-$250 minus shipping if you keep looking and are so compelled.

The Vectrex is by no means a cheap endeavour...at least here in the USA. They never surface...at least on the east coast. I have never encountered one available for purchase locally (game stores, flea markets, etc) around these parts...ever. And I have been hunting for decades. I had to resort to an online trade in order to obtain one myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Covid screwed up prices on everything.. It's all up in price right now, but no one should be paying 4 or 5 hundred for a  loose, working console w/ a controller. Maybe I misspoke about a minty CIB one for that much, but you should still be able to grab at a decent condition CIB unit for 5, if you're patient. For example, I picked up 2 Vectri for $160 this past summer, 1 working, & 1 not. I fixed the broken one, so now I have a couple spares that are in decent shape, thanks to a somewhat local Vectrex enthusiast. Keep watching eBay, you'll luck out on a killer deal sooner or later. ?

• 1 year later...

My neighbor's mom was cleaning out her house and found his from when he was a kid still in the box, the box was taped so not mint, with the remote all the manuals and screens for clean sweep, cosmic chasm, solar quest, scramble,berzerk, and rip off. He let me borrow it to try out all the games work. He offered to sell it to me for 500 cad. Think it's worth it? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 10:01 PM, Rando said:

My neighbor's mom was cleaning out her house and found his from when he was a kid still in the box, the box was taped so not mint, with the remote all the manuals and screens for clean sweep, cosmic chasm, solar quest, scramble,berzerk, and rip off. He let me borrow it to try out all the games work. He offered to sell it to me for 500 cad. Think it's worth it? 

100%. It’s not a steal but assuming all is working it’s a good price.

EDIT: ah ha ha. Well, given the current crazy exchange rate, it would be a steal in American dollars.