IGNORED

Scott Adams SAGA adventures on cartridge

videofx

2 hours ago, videofx said:

Are there any cartridge images of the Scott Adams SAGA cartridges?

I did not even knew they made these on carts!

Thanks!

No, there are no "official" cartridge images of these. Nothing like that was ever released. I'm not aware of Adventure International ever releasing anything on cartridge for the Atari 8-bits.

Now, that being said, I saw some Atari 8-bit SAGA cartridges somewhere very recently, in the past week or so I believe. It may have been ebay. Regardless, you can rest assured that they're definitely home brews, like the M.U.L.E. cartridges I've see.

13 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I'm not aware of Adventure International ever releasing anything on cartridge for the Atari 8-bits.

1) available!

Rally Speedway: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-rally-speedway_4280.html

2) available?

Destiny (Prototype): http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-destiny-the-cruiser_1597.html

OK, so found these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=saga&_ssn=videogamenirvana4&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313&_nkw=s.a.g.a&_sacat=0

So originally from Video 61 listed here?: http://www.atarisales.com/compnew.html

I've not seen these done within the AtariMax forums, so don't know who originally coded these.

Also, bearing in mind the Peter Meyer titles were subject to not having the ROM images released, these might be like that.

[Edit] From the Space Newsletter April 2002: http://space.atari.org/news0204.html

--Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:29:09 -0600 (CST)

The first of the famous SCOTT ADAMS S.A.G.A. Graphics adventures is now available on cartridge for the atari 400/800/xl/xe/xegm computers. Memory requirements are 48k. This is an awesome achievement by the combined talents of three very gifted, and dedicated atari coders. Special thanks to SCOTT ADAMS for permission to release his ground breaking games on cartridge.

Thanks,
Lance

Video 61 & Atari Sales
22735 Congo ST NE
Stacy MN 55079
www.atarisales.com

Edited by Wrathchild
more info found
  • Like 1

hi everyone,

i will update you on the history of this.

my friend scott adams was nice enough to issue me a license to port all of his games over to cartridge format in the mid 1990's. we did port some, which are on my site such as preppie and preppie II, a few sagas, the star flight one, whomper stomper, rally speedway which was already done, and some more. some we have posted on our site and have been selling for around 20-25 years now.

about 10-15 years ago scott adams did away with the license fee that i paid every year on time, and just gave me the games. so i hope to resume porting of them and posting them for sale on my site.

russ wetmore used to call me every new years eve in the 1990's and complain to me about the games were up for sale again. he was always 2 sheets in the wind, heading for europe to celebrate the new year.

but as mr. adams pointed out, he was clear owner of them, the courts even declared it.

so if someone buys them from me and posts them on e-bay, its all legal.

i will soon make pandoras power star available again, i am the owner of that game also, its a lot like the saga's.

lance

www.atarisales.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the details Lance,

I too had permission from Scott when making an AtariMax MaxFlash cart compilation, similar to the one I made for the Brian Howarth "Mysterious Adventures*" (both attached).

I did however have to leave out "The Golden Voyage" due to Scott not having been able to obtain permission from the co-writer of that particular title. That would have been around 2007/2008.

Regards,

Mark

* Easter Egg Bonus if, from the menu, you hold SELECT, then OPTION and then START (so that all 3 are pressed).

MysteriousAdventures.car ScottAdamsAdventures.car

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2020 at 11:32 AM, Mclaneinc said:

The only computer I think had them on cart was the Vic 20...I'm sure there user created compilations out there but official, no.

The C-16/Plus/4 got some on cartridge as well and there was the one stand-alone text and graphics adventure (Return to Pirate's Isle) on the TI-99/4a on cartridge (the others were cartridge and cassette/disk combos). 

20 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Are you allowed / willing to share it as a single file as well?

With some adjustment to the sources I've made a cassette version (as the saving is only for cassette)

Next month I'll look to produce an ATR (maybe with LiteDOS) that can save to disk instead.

Enjoy,

Mark

image.png.c493feac1ece93498ef384d529399345.png

P.S. I've long had Supergran close to completion but the interpreter (on the C64) works slightly differently to this one and there's a small bug to do with text area scrolling to resolve.

AdventureInternational_Gremlins.cas

• Like 3

This thread appears to pretty much have run its course, so here's a little "what-if" add-on...  Let's say that you don't have the money (or don't want) to spend on new carts, but are unhappy about the slow loading of data on graphic adventures. How would you speed things up?  My simple idea is to use Ultra/Warp Speed, and especially with APE or RespeQt (ATR) which has zero latency. Even better if you can use a lower Pokey divisor, but while much faster, still not the nearly instantaneous speeds of a cartridge or ram.  So what are your thoughts? What about other devices that you might already have -- IDE+2? Ramdisk? Acceletator? Multi-cart, especially SIDE2 or 3? 

-Larry

The ATR conversions which eliminate disk swapping help here (e.g. @Wilheim was asking recently about Lucifer's Realm) but remember a lot of graphical adventure titles used an encoded format to keep the size down and the 'draw and fill' the picture at runtime, e.g. Level 9 games:

image.png.c5e356486c17014bccb2f7f574578a4f.png

So rather than that, as size on these devices is no longer a blocker, the resulting image could be captured and added and loaded directly rather than drawn... or is watching that part of the enjoyment and should be left alone :ponder:

51 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

So rather than that, as size on these devices is no longer a blocker, the resulting image could be captured and added and loaded directly rather than drawn... or is watching that part of the enjoyment and should be left alone :ponder:

Or perhaps an optimized poly filler ?