IGNORED

Developer Spotlight: John Champeau / Champ Games (December 18, 2020)

ZeroPage Homebrew

Developer Spotlight on

John Champeau / ChampGames

ZeroPage Homebrew will welcome John Champeau (@johnnywc) from Champ Games to the stream, LIVE via video, on Friday December 18, 2020 (6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT) for his Developer Spotlight!

We will be discussing John's extensive history of programming videogames, not only for the Atari 2600 but we'll also touch on his DOS and even Atari 800 programming! His prolific work includes some of the most pixel pushing ports from classic arcade games such as Galagon, Mappy, Wizard of Wor Arcade, Scramble, Super Cobra Aracade, Zoo Keeper and Robotwar: 2600! PLUS we will also have the EXCLUSIVE WORLD DEBUT of his newest Atari 2600 homebrew, Gorf Arcade! All this and much, much more!

YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS!

If you have any questions you'd like us to ask John Champeau during the livestream please post them below!

- James

1561494748_20201218b-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.9562328bed464e7293cecead2ab65fdb.jpg

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 5

Exciting! 

tl;dr: How can I learn to make games like Champ Games?

Have you ever done a designer diary, given a postmortem presentation, posted source code or anything I can consume that would help me learn how Champ Games makes these amazing games? There is a good selection of "noob" tutorials now for 2600 homebrew, but if the next, more advanced step got some great educational material, it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Didn't you plan your Christmas show for that date?

I'm fairly flexible with most of the schedule so what I'll probably do is add an extra show before the holidays for the Christmas show! ?

The more the shows the merrier, ho ho ho!!

- James

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I want to know if he works as a programmer? If he has any programming education or just self taught, how he doesn't get overwhelmed with having so many projects going at the same time, if he allmost sees it as an obligation to port these games since he's one of so few or possibly only one that could and they would never exist otherwise.. might be a weird question, but I can imagine I would if I had that 2600/cdfj expertise. If he has or think he might have any mental condition/diagnosis, asking only because I have and I desperatley want to have something in common with John ? That might be a totally socially unacceptable question, but how would I know? ?

And how the enemies/playfield pixels in robotwar changes color from one pfpixel to the next, even my mom knows you can't do that and have a bunch of other things running around in the same zone?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

I want to know something else to!! Has he ever shown any of his games to the old atari programmers at PRGE? Do they ever come by the atariage booth and check out the homebrews? That would be pretty awesome.

Great questions, I'll ask them tonight on the show!

- James

• Thanks 1