IGNORED

Are physical-only RGB adapters complete?

Keep in mind all these questions are in the context of using two virtual taps to get the left eye and the right eye merged into a stereoscopic image.  I'm using the theory that because computer signals are separated into RGB and red and cyan anaglyphs rely on the fact that left eye positive information is red, right eye information is conveyed positively through cyan, both together is white and negative information for both colors is black.

I think I could have built either a VGA adapter with certain pins disconnected, but I could do it for cheaper than the labor cost because someone recommended using VGA to three RCA RGB connectors.

Assuming that I don't need to change either the Hertz rate like going from VGA to standard television or the color space like going from RGB to ypbpr, and assuming those adapters are bidirectional, with this combination of physical adapters be a good labor-free way of making my Anaglyph merger:

1. Use

a. 3 of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/351225767267

b. One triad of separable RGB RCA cables of the same length.

c. Possibly one or more m-m or one f-f VGA adapter.

2. Plug one VGA adapter into the left virtual tap.   Plug a second VGA adapter into the right virtual tab.

3.  Separate the red from the green and blue of the component RCA cables and plug the red of the L adapter to the red of the S adapter (L referring to left eye as referring to stereoscopic print). Do the same with the green and the blue of the our adapter to the S adapter.

I believe this will work as long as one thing is true that none of the information is lost.  However I cannot guarantee that sync information won't be lost doing this.

I assume if sync information isn't carried then we need a five RCA with the other two cables for vertical and horizontal sync.

I was thinking the ground cable would be another connection that might be needed.

Now if the sink information were to get lost by double converting physically only,. then probably the easiest solution is the higher my friend Stan to build a VGA adapter with the connection I was implying above.

Since VGA starts and ends analog maybe I just take the sink information and all the other information associated with one picture and keep the red of the left for example and then just merge the cyan AKA green information blue information from the right one merge it with everything else and you got a whole VGA signal with different corresponding information for the left eye isolated in the red and the right eye isolated and green and blue.

so what the right strategy be pick a side either left or right for every information other than color carried that straight through deaden the other stuff on the other end, and hope it takes.

Of course this will only work if VGA information is uncoded.  If it's like a fight stick from the Super NES and hire then it's not as simple as one wire is left and another wire is right in Atari 2600 joysticks.

(Searches eBay for VGA to RGBHV)

At least physical information would be maintained with this device.  I noticed their BNC connectors which are not usually used much in the United States but luckily they only have to be consistent with each other and I just have to connect the green and blue of number two and red , h and v of number 1 into the respective number threes so all I got to find is a double female BNC adapter and order five of them.

(Searches eBay for BNC F-F adapter)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353234245920

A ten pack for $22.20.  All I need is 5.

The only thing really left in question is can the blue and green signals be carried and merged with a foreign h&v to form this anaglyph adapter I'm thinking of?

I don't know if that's possible that's why I'm asking the bigger experts than me.

I understand there's a better chance if it is uncoded and analog, which it is, but not totally sure.

Based on understanding uncoated analog electrical signals before it seems to make sense.  But I don't know if there's an implied code in a VGA signal or if it's just purely analog signals arranged in a neat way, kind of like my sinistersticks.com joystick.

You're not gonna make a 3d adapter for free (or almost free), and you still need to have the gfx generated for your hypothetical "weird"-VGA signal/format ... so unless you plan to convert whatever it is you plan on making 3D it won't work.

VGA is analogue RGBHV at stated frequencies and with signals of the right impedance  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector , mostly progressive but there were (S)VGA modes that were interlaced too (800x600 87Hz interlaced was a thing). Note that the BNC variant is supposedly at 75ohms (like normal TVs).

Here's the connector:

VGA-DE15.thumb.JPG.d54903b1c0de9105dec68fd8f14b996c.JPG

if you ignore pin 4,9,11,12,15 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel ) you get literally the separate channels for R G B + H V.

The only reason I think it might be a possibility is because both eyes in the Virtual Boy are natively black and white monochrome.  (With whites tinted as Reds in the Virtual Boy hardware.)

Since there is no color data that represents color in the Virtual Boy, then 100% of the color information could be used to isolate the left eye and the right eye.

I agree if the screen has normal color data then you can't just merge them in this passive.

the only reason I think it has a chance of working is because the virtual boy is black and white and you could change the tint on the virtual tap to be black and red on one eye and black and cyan on the other.  Therefore giving you two separate 2D images in the same picture, where both negative pixels are black, both positive pixels are white, pixels that are positive on the left but not the right are red and pixels that are positive on the right but not the left are cyan.

that is literally the only reason why I think it would work just because of the monochromatic nature of the virtual boy.

that is exactly the reason why there exists copies of Creature from the Black Lagoon on betamax in black and white,  red and cyan anaglyph.  There was no color data natively captured in that film.

Also you don't have to have a PC for VGA monitor work.

For example I have the Xbox 360 official VGA adapter.  And that plugs straight into the monitor definitely works.

I don't know enough about the non-visual signals but if there's other data besides visual signals being sent then all you have to do is pick one side or the other as the visual signals for the VGA adapter and use whatever is coming out of the virtual tap from one side or the other, and just take the green and blue of the right side and plug that straight into the combo.

I don't know enough about the other pins to know if there's PC specific requirements that don't need to be dealt with in using a VGA monitor as a non-pc monitor?

Are those other pins other than RGB and grounds and vsync and h sync and grounds for the sinks PC specific stuff that don't have to be copied when going purely from virtual tap to VGA monitor?  

If so, then Eureka! That's how you build a VGA virtual tap anaglyph adapter.

By the way do the green and blue grounds supposed to go to the right eye where there's only green and blue information or is it supposed to go to the left eye where there's the other supplemental information like the sync?

One other question while we here.  What kind of connector does the default RGB connector use in the virtual tap non-VGA RGB form?  If it's either SCART,  an adapter for any Sega system, on SNES adapter, I'm going to have to figure out how to merge the red of left with the green and blue of right.

Is the only information you need from the virtual tap in "non VGA form" is just red green and blue and the synk to be on the Green.  If so would that easily translate to a color space converter to go from RGB to ypvpr, and would it properly move the sync on G to the sync on y.

and the main reason why this should work with the virtual tap and only the virtual tap is because the images are natively thawed in the computer as black and white images.  An Anaglyph was one of the original 3D formats which relied on the fact that the photographs were originally black and white.  since the color information on the picture didn't convey color information in the original but instead represented a left right code, nothing should be lost.

I know this would be unique to Virtual Boy because Virtual Boy content is natively monochrome and stetroscopic Meaning if I have two full color images I need some sort of circuits (read by me as a computer program like Bino 3D)  to convert it to a Dubois Anaglyph. (The sweet spot between color info and depth info conveyed by red and cyan.)

I understand that when dealing with black and white pictures tinting whites is red in the left eye and tinting whites as Saran in the right eye and merging them gives you two independent pictures that are perceived by both eyes on the same single screen. The resulting picture is a 3D black and white picture.

I know optically it should work.  I just don't understand how to get the electronics to work to overlay a red and cyan layer on top of each other so that it takes the red of the left eye and the green and blue of the right eye and puts them in one unique common signal.

Most of the other holes other than ones dealing with red green and blue and horizontal and vertical sink are things dealt with with the computer.  For those should I just pick one side and stick to that side like the left side for example meaning everything that's irrelevant to color and everything associated with red goes to left while green and blue go to right.  Someone told me the the screens were naturally in sync with each other.  So assuming the length of the cables are close enough to uniform, the only question is how do things electronically work for this to work.

Do the grounds of the colors go back to where the color was originated?  Meaning does the red ground go back to the left VGA cable because red is left and green and blue grounds  go to the right, because the signal came from the right?

And what those physical adapters take out the unnecessary extra pins?  and all those pens actually unnecessary if you're not writing it to a Windows brand PC or something similar?  Meaning would it work as a pure RBG screen if just the RGB sink and ground aspects were taken care of and all the other pins are ignored?

On 10/18/2020 at 11:56 PM, phoenixdownita said:

You're not gonna make a 3d adapter for free (or almost free), and you still need to have the gfx generated for your hypothetical "weird"-VGA signal/format ... so unless you plan to convert whatever it is you plan on making 3D it won't work.

VGA is analogue RGBHV at stated frequencies and with signals of the right impedance  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector , mostly progressive but there were (S)VGA modes that were interlaced too (800x600 87Hz interlaced was a thing). Note that the BNC variant is supposedly at 75ohms (like normal TVs).

Here's the connector:

VGA-DE15.thumb.JPG.d54903b1c0de9105dec68fd8f14b996c.JPG

if you ignore pin 4,9,11,12,15 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel ) you get literally the separate channels for R G B + H V.

The questionsare "Am I able to ignore them because they are PC specific pins?". and "if the answer to one is yes, will transferring all those VGA pins and back lose some of the data? "

Also are there any "return signals" the Virtual Tap are expecting?  If yes, which ones, in a Stereoscopic hookup, are required to be returned to the source?

Click the link and read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

from that page

VGA-BNC.thumb.jpg.6a9f8ad5159a748033a0bb1e2789820f.jpg

so in general you can ignore the extra pins as they were an added tech to allow the gfx card to detect info about the monitor (like max VGA supported resolution and then eventually all supported resolutions, color depths and frequencies).