IGNORED

Original TI Joystick Upgrade/Mod?

pmk222

I've done a little searching around here and on Google. The only information I've come across is how people hate the original joysticks, how to fix the traces using silver conductive ink, and how there are adapter cables to go to atari style joysticks.

I recently got a set of original joysticks and I genuinely like the way they feel in the hand. I wish they had the fire button on the corner like I've seen on one or two pair but nonetheless they feel good to me. Unfortunately, my set doesn't appear to work (I did make sure the alpha lock key wasn't the issue).

I was wondering if anyone ever designed or made a drop in replacement for the original circuit in the joysticks? Something with tactile buttons instead of those weird touch contacts.

Or, if there is some kind of rebuild kit for these available? My foam is starting to crumble...

Also, why is it that no one seems to like these? Does it have to do with the way they actually function or the way they feel in the hand (or both)?

P.s. what does the alpha lock key actually do for the computer?

Nope go for it. It's time someone actually designed one. the reason nobody likes them is because they are poorly designed with foam that goes bad and membranes that go bad and it just hurts your hand to try to push it hard enough to get it to work and it's never hard enough..

The alpha lock is the caps lock though it may not look like it there is a full character set of both uppercase and lowercase letters on the TI-99/4A. The font leaves something to be desired which is why many people have created a true lower case font and used it in many modules and games and programs etc.

For instance f03e54208c27a7735b6b037b26cc0097.jpg

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

So, the alpha lock key needs to be in the correct position because the game itself is expecting an upper or lower case from the controller input. Am I understanding that correctly?
No the alpha lock needs to be up because it uses the same input line on the keyboard controller as the up direction of the joystick. The addition of a single diode in the keyboard solves the problem so you don't have to put it up to use the joysticks properly.

This is in the FAQ if you are interested

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

The sticks are way too stiff, besides the weak membrane contact design. Maybe if they had a comfortable knob on the end and somehow made easier to move but still self-centering, then install microswitches to get rid of the membrane. Cords are stiff as well, and the controllers are so light, the cord alone will drag them around and they won't stay put. "Pain Sticks" is a good moniker for 'em!

My "cure" was to chop the cords off near the controller and splice them onto two non-matching but decent Atari-style sticks. I left those cords long as well, cut off close to the plugs. No adapters needed, but they're no longer Atari-compatible. Bonus was double-length cords!

I definitely agree about the stiff cord. I put a little lithium grease where the plastic rubs and moves against each other. The sticks are now more loose than my atari joysticks. I'm going to experiment with making a replacement board for these. I'll likely be using tactile switches for the the feedback they'll give. Hopefully, I can come up with something that can use the original board with the diodes on it.

• Like 1

I also had the idea to to replace the board of these Joysticks because I had lot of them not working, the project has started months ago but the Covid time makes all slowly.

If you have the possibility to try it I will be also curious to see what solutions you can find.

I thought something like these: image.png.f9ab12c7beb8207a164b8c156fedb439.png

I'm curious as to what your thoughts were to fix that. I was thinking a second board connected to the first with headers to shift it to the other side of the case and two buttons (one for each side of the fire button, connected in parallel so it doesn't matter which is pressed)