IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 15 - Dracula

My First Dracula Update: Finally got some time to seriously play this one. Unlike River Raid I have picked this one up VERY FAST, but my thumbs are KILLING me..... I like how the game differentiates what level of the game you are playing. Black numbers for EASY, Blue numbers for MEDIUM and Red numbers for HARD. That's awesome!!! ?

12,225 - Medium Level

8,725 - Hard Level

DCA(12225)MEDS13.jpg.91dc4252c0954abde6eb5ae2014938ef.jpgDCA(8725)HARDS13.jpg.5667fbe2049449c3743a2bdbe4e01711.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

My First Dracula Update: Finally got some time to seriously play this one. Unlike River Raid I have picked this one up VERY FAST, but my thumbs are KILLING me..... I like how the game differentiates what level of the game you are playing. Black numbers for EASY, Blue numbers for MEDIUM and Red numbers for HARD. That's awesome!!! ?

12,225 - Medium Level

8,725 - Hard Level

Nice scores Rick!

• Thanks 1

9,200 - Medium

6,150 - Hard

I think my game glitched because I got to a point where as soon as the sky turned pink my game was instantly over. No time at all to return to the graveyard, and I was even standing right in front of it ready to enter it when that happened. Not sure what that was about. Seemed totally unfair. 
Also, this game loses its fun factor very quickly and gets really monotonous, in my opinion. I find the constable to be extremely annoying and the controls to be aggravating. Not sure I’ll be playing this one much.

156CD898-BA4B-4C6F-B22A-D09944AACE0E.jpeg

BA2A4099-F208-409A-8840-BB0B35317729.jpeg

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

9,200 - Medium

6,150 - Hard

I think my game glitched because I got to a point where as soon as the sky turned pink my game was instantly over. No time at all to return to the graveyard, and I was even standing right in front of it ready to enter it when that happened. Not sure what that was about. Seemed totally unfair. 
Also, this game loses its fun factor very quickly and gets really monotonous, in my opinion. I find the constable to be extremely annoying and the controls to be aggravating. Not sure I’ll be playing this one much.

156CD898-BA4B-4C6F-B22A-D09944AACE0E.jpeg

BA2A4099-F208-409A-8840-BB0B35317729.jpeg

Yeah that’s what I was saying to Intelligentleman yesterday. You are supposed to have from 5:00am to 6:00am to get back to the coffin, but sometimes it’s like a split second or two and then poof game ends. Yes very unfair, but it’s been happening to all of us or it will anyway. ??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickster8 said:

Yeah that’s what I was saying to Intelligentleman yesterday. You are supposed to have from 5:00am to 6:00am to get back to the coffin, but sometimes it’s like a split second or two and then poof game ends. Yes very unfair, but it’s been happening to all of us or it will anyway. ??

Yeah that’s just terrible. Can totally ruin a good game!

• Sad 1

I definitely find myself pressing harder than usual on the controls on this one. Almost like it isn't always recognizing input or something. Accuracy is fine when it works, but then Dracula will just sit there like an idiot for a bit, then move again. 

I'll have to pay closer attention, but maybe it's only recognizing 8 instead of 16 direction input and when you hit those 16th angles, it's just ignoring it? Anyone try with a regular game pad? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

I definitely find myself pressing harder than usual on the controls on this one. Almost like it isn't always recognizing input or something. Accuracy is fine when it works, but then Dracula will just sit there like an idiot for a bit, then move again. 

I'll have to pay closer attention, but maybe it's only recognizing 8 instead of 16 direction input and when you hit those 16th angles, it's just ignoring it? Anyone try with a regular game pad? 

Now doubt man, the controller just seems to actually get stuck in this one numerous times and then the constable gets you with his stake because of it. Also, when you want to get back into the graveyard sometimes you have to press up repeatedly for it to work. ?

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Now doubt man, the controller just seems to actually get stuck in this one numerous times and then the constable gets you with his stake because of it. Also, when you want to get back into the graveyard sometimes you have to press up repeatedly for it to work. ?

That is one of my major complaints with this one.  I never like it when the success of your score depends on whether or not the controls work at the right times.  That really cheapens it for me.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

On 10/21/2020 at 12:27 PM, IntyFanMatt said:

That it one of my major complaints with this one.  I never like it when the success of your score depends on whether or not the controls work at the right times.  That really cheapens it for me.

So a day after my two Dracula scores both hands are sore, but the right one hurts a little more lol. Getting old boys..... ??

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

So some goofy things I've noticed playing this game:

1) - The controls are pretty awful. Dracula will get stuck alot and I find you have to re-press the disc direction to free him up. Also happens alot as you try to re-enter the graveyard. 

2) - So Dracula has the 'potential' to turn into a bat and move faster through the street, problem is almost instantly once he changes into a bat he is relentlessly pursued by a pinkish / purplish vulture that will carry him off screen and if that happens game over. To me this addition to the game is dumb. Look maybe have this happen if you stay in bat form for like a minute, but it generally happens right away. What's the point of being able to turn into a bat if you really cannot ever use it? ?

3) - Only having two certain victims to choose from is kinda lame. There should be a woman victim as well. Or an old lady carrying groceries hahahahahhaa ?

4) - I find the game to be fun, but yes as mentioned above it does get monotonous. 

5) - The glitch death is quite annoying - If you are not ready to enter the graveyard right at 5:00am you risk the glitch death happening. The sky quickly turns pink and then the game ends immediately. Trust me it will happen to you eventually...... ?

Edited by Rickster8
Changed a word
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

1) - The controls are pretty awful. Dracula will get stuck alot and I find you have to re-press the disc direction to free him up. Also happens alot as you try to re-enter the graveyard. 

That's what's killing my thumb on this one.  I just automatically press harder when it won't move, or wriggle back and forth.  Odd a game with such limited and slow-paced controls would wind up being as bad on the hands as fast shooter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

So some goofy things I've noticed playing this game:

2) - So Dracula has the 'potential' to turn into a bat and move faster through the street, problem is almost instantly once he changes into a bat he is relentlessly pursued by a pinkish / purplish vulture that will carry him off screen and if that happens game over. To me this addition to the game is dumb. Look maybe have this happen if you stay in bat form for like a minute, but it generally happens right away. What's the point of being able to turn into a bat if you really cannot ever use it? ?

3) - Only having two certain victims to choose from is kinda lame. There should be a woman victim as well. Or an old lady carrying groceries hahahahahhaa ?

4) - I find the game to be fun, but yes as mentioned above it does get monotonous. 

5) - The glitch death is quite annoying - If you are not ready to enter the graveyard right at 5:00am you risk the glitch death happening. The sky quickly turns pink and then the game ends immediately. Trust me it will happen to you eventually...... ?

Great notes on this game Rick, agree with everything you say.  The game is more frustrating and monotonous to me, but it can be fun sometimes.  I find it more fun when playing with my son and we chase each other around.  I find that it's better to play this casually as opposed for high score.

• Like 1

23,550 - medium 

Okay, that's all for me. Got my +1 for breaking the prior record, so have at it, guys. Going to break my controller if I play this one anymore. 

As with several games, this one suffers from difficulty plateau. If you can survive day 1, you can survive day X. Couple that with the control issues and it no longer being possible to hit the bonus past a certain number of days and.... yeah. Done. 

Probably a very fun 2 player game with the zombies and all, but meh for single player high score competition. 

20201022_163406.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

23,550 - medium 

Okay, that's all for me. Got my +1 for breaking the prior record, so have at it, guys. Going to break my controller if I play this one anymore. 

As with several games, this one suffers from difficulty plateau. If you can survive day 1, you can survive day X. Couple that with the control issues and it no longer being possible to hit the bonus past a certain number of days and.... yeah. Done. 

Probably a very fun 2 player game with the zombies and all, but meh for single player high score competition. 

Holy hell!  That is an UNBELIEVABLE score for this game, just for the sheer endurance required to get there.  And it's +2 for setting a new record, not +1.  I don't know how you had the patience for getting this high of a score in this game.  I was done after 9k, lol.  Absolutely incredible Biff, well done sir!

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

Just now, IntyFanMatt said:

Holy hell!  That is an UNBELIEVABLE score for this game.  And it's +2 for breaking the record, not +1.  I don't know how you had the patience for getting this high of a score in this game.  I was done after 9k, lol.  Absolutely incredible Biff, well done sir!

It's +1 because that score isn't going to stand.  One of you weirdos is going to break that since it can be played indefinitely, but that's all for me.  Those later days are really painful (physically and mentally) at 700-1000 points per day with no hope of bonus.  ? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

It's +1 because that score isn't going to stand.  One of you weirdos is going to break that since it can be played indefinitely, but that's all for me.  Those later days are really painful (physically and mentally) at 700-1000 points per day with no hope of bonus.  ? 

I won't be trying to break it whatsoever, this game annoys me, and I will shocked if someone else does, so the +2 will most likely stand.  I am not up for the extreme endurance test at this point.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

6 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I won't be trying to break it whatsoever, this game annoys me, and I will shocked if someone else does, so the +2 will most likely stand.  I am not up for the extreme endurance test at this point.

If the controls actually worked, I wouldn't mind.  But the only shot at the bonus past day 20 or so is to be constantly boosting in bat form and you can't assume the game will accept your input when you try to get out of it.  ?

3 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

If the controls actually worked, I wouldn't mind.  But the only shot at the bonus past day 20 or so is to be constantly boosting in bat form and you can't assume the game will accept your input when you try to get out of it.  ?

Yup, I hate the controls in this game.  Would actually be a good game if the controls were solid and the gameplay had a bit more variety.  The graphics are actually pretty good for the system.  But I'll be saving myself from that frustration for now.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

23,550 - medium 

20201022_163406.jpg

Great score Biff, but aren't you going to enter a HARD level score too? You had said you were done so just double checking that you know there is a 2nd level (bonus) Jacob gave us....... ?

Edited by Rickster8
  • Like 2

Dracula Quick Scoring Update: (Updated thru post #46)

Medium Level

23,550 - Biffman [+2 broke old record, set new record]

12,225 - Rickster8 

9,200  - IntyFanMatt

2,725  - Intelligentleman

2,700  - roadrunner

Hard Level

8,725 - Rickster8 [+2 broke old record, set new record]

6,150 - IntyFanMatt

Edited by Rickster8
Fixed Scoring Errors
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Dracula Quick Scoring Update: (Updated thru post #46)

Medium Level

23,550 - Biffman [+1 broke old record]

12,225 - Rickster8 

9,200  - IntyFanMatt

2,725  - Intelligentleman

2,700  - roadrunner

Hard Level

8,725 - Rickster8 [+1 broke old record]

6,150 - IntyFanMatt

Rick, how do you know what the old record was for the hard level? Jacob didn’t post that on page 1…

1 minute ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Rick, how do you know what the old record was for the hard level? Jacob didn’t post that on page 1…

Oh sorry, I spoke to Jacob in PM. The old record on HARD level was from Season 8. M-Crew had a score of 8,525.