IGNORED

Remember that Game Boy Camera thing?

Leeroy ST

mrqB7aylQ2O51R9qvZvSApxhUpGmWxMoYsAwAv6B

I remember when it came out, it always perplexed me that anyone green lit this idea as the Game Boy is definitely not a good host system for a camera and likely one of the core definitions of a fad, but it was an interesting attempt to turn the Gameboy into a cheap (very cheap) portable camera.

Issue is one of the core reasons for it's creation wasn't available outside of Japan. Otherwise you are just taking really really awful pictures with limited options for retrieval at the time outside of the Gameboy printer, which in many cases was sold separately, so you would buy a GBC (also I feel bad for parents) and you basically at best could transfer images to a friends GB. 

All the mini games are pretty poor and were likely thrown in at best, although I remember the space game the final boss could be a face you took a picture of. 

They really had a missed opportunity with the colors, they could have gradually released variations that improved over time like actual portable cameras did and maybe made it into something decent but with the GB being the lowest common denominator there wasn't much to expand on.

Now if there was a Camera add-on for the Atari Lynx..............................

• Like 1

What was the "core reason for it's creation" not existing outside of Japan?

Also, it's easy to dismiss it as a fad, but remember that back in the day (1996?) digital cameras were military tech, satellite tech, or professionnal tech costing a grand.

Here was a low grade tech but cheap, allowing peopel to take, heh. selfies...

And print them!

Not many devices back then offered such a novelty.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

Also, it's easy to dismiss it as a fad, but remember that back in the day (1996?) digital cameras were military tech, satellite tech, or professionnal tech costing a grand.

Here was a low grade tech but cheap, allowing peopel to take, heh. selfies...

And print them!

Not many devices back then offered such a novelty.

RARE had initially planned to use it as a bonus feature on N64 Goldeneye - you'd be able to face map your friends etc faces onto characters in the games M. P mode (going off memory), but it was deemed too risky, so the concept was soon abandoned. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/perfect-dark-game-boy-camera_n_5682c576e4b06fa688813a63

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

N64DD

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

digital cameras were military tech, satellite tech, or professionnal tech costing a grand.

You are forgetting about all those low-end digital cameras you could buy at Rite aid or CVS, some as low as $199 or cheaper with sales.

Remember Game Boy camera was released in 1998 close to 2000. Not in 89 or early 90's.

Also don't forget the size and quality of the printer, which in many cases was sold separately but they wanted a good charge for.

Edited by Leeroy ST

26 minutes ago, Lost Dragon said:

RARE had initially planned to use it as a bonus feature on N64 Goldeneye - you'd be able to face map your friends etc faces onto characters in the games M. P mode (going off memory), but it was deemed too risky, so the concept was soon abandoned. 

Makes sense since you could take a picture of anything in that case, which I am sure they didn't want to deal with especially with Nintendos family friendly image. (although this is the same studio that did Conker so lol)

2 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

N64DD

You are forgetting about all those low-end digital cameras you could buy at Rite aid or CVS, some as low as $199 or cheaper with sales.

Remember Game Boy camera was released in 1998 close to 2000. Not in 89 or early 90's.

Also don't forget the size and quality of the printer, which in many cases was sold separately but they wanted a good charge for.

Well here those low end camera didn't came till 97/98 indeed. I though the GB cam was 1995/96.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CatPix said:

Well here those low end camera didn't came till 97/98 indeed. I though the GB cam was 1995/96.

Yeah, the Game Boy Camera came out pretty late, later than most people remember. It's why it wasn't too big of a fad because in 2 years entry cameras came crashing down on price. 98 was around the beginning of that happening where Cameras were appearing at Rite aid and some other stores, and then by 2000 gas stations and grocery stores.

The printer went for a higher than expected price but also they seemed to have been given lower shipments than the camera carts themselves. The bundles that include both are even more rare.

Not sure if it was much different in Japan from what I've been researching on forums, although it seems some hobby and computer shops had the printers there.

I think the big thing is it may have released too late, I know there was a year delay and they had more plans for games that didn't end up happening. 

Personally I thought the camera was a fun little thing,  and, like I say, I would have bought a printer too if they actually sold them somewhere...

PS  IIRC,  I bought it on a whim and it was likely clearance priced,  which made it a good deal, but it was also something I was unaware of up to that point.  I'm thinking I saw it in a newspaper ad that very day, hence the sale price and the "rain check" (which would have worked only if they got some more in)...I had my doubts they would ever have the printers in again (and they never did),  but the Target employees told me they were "trying to get some more"...

I LOVED the game boy camera, but it did come out a bit later than people remember, I recall one of the big things people had a problem with (that I knew of that had it) was the lack of support for game boy color, which came out the same year.

This was my first digital camera, and was FAR cheaper than digital cameras of the time. The second camera I got was a palm cam that took zip discs and I paid $500 for a display model (I think it was $700 at the time I bought it in 2000) yes, it took great color pics, if a bit low resolution (640x480 iirc) but it was also built like a tank, and is the only digital camera I didn't wear out before replacing it (the next being a 3mp cannon)

I don't remember the exact resolution of game boy camera, thinking like 120x120, but won't swear, but it took surprisingly good pics for its obvious limitations. The printer I also have, and it is used with other games as well, but I also picked up a cable so I could dump it on pc. Always wanted to do a video with it, no point, just think it would be cool.

Anyhow, I'm a weirdo though and have always had a thing for the bizarre and handhelds, and this fits both categories, it's cool if you don't like it, or get it, now days, it's a bit out of its element.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Video said:

The printer I also have, and it is used with other games as well...

I remember Link To The Past DX (not sure if the original did as well) had these segments where you would take photos along the way (or rather, someone would take a photo of you), not necessary to finish the game, just for fun, and those could be printed.

I think rebuying it, or for those who didn't have one, buying it for the first time in 2020 is ultimately pointless. Especially the printer paper which I've read seems to die over time even new in box. Same with the save capabilities of the cart itself which was apparently more unreliable than regular game boy save batteries.

1 hour ago, Leeroy ST said:

I think rebuying it, or for those who didn't have one, buying it for the first time in 2020 is ultimately pointless. Especially the printer paper which I've read seems to die over time even new in box. Same with the save capabilities of the cart itself which was apparently more unreliable than regular game boy save batteries.

Mine still saves 22 years later...

My brother got a Game Boy Camera around the time they came out. We had a lot of fun with it for a little while. Still have some barely recognizable pics from Boy Scout outings and trips on it, and some that my sister had taken after my brother moved on from it. A few of them, though...no idea what the hell they are! ?

I like that the Game Boy Camera contains the most bizarre depiction of Mario I've ever seen in a Nintendo product (to say nothing of the other "characters" that appeared in the minigames before you customized their photos). Looks more like the guy from the end credits of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show than Mario as we know him! ?

GB camera for what it was, and when it was at that price was pretty amazing and deserves some credit.

But hey, want to have a little fun with a few minute read and some amazing images?  Check out this dude 2 years ago 3D printed an attachment to add on a telephoto lens to the device and well -- results, look.

http://ekeler.com/game-boy-camera-canon-ef-mount

https://www.engadget.com/2018-06-04-game-boy-camera-canon-lens-converter.html

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, Leeroy ST said:

The printer paper is just thermal paper. Alternatives are available.