IGNORED

I got a TI-99/4A related Email SPAM!

Omega-TI

I checked my messages on a little used email account today...  I received an email from someone that even had the audacity to request a return receipt from my email provider proving that the message had been read.  That request was flatly refused.  I'm not going to name the party to protect the guilty as this is a first time offense, but damn...  

• Like 1

Name and shame, dude.  I despise spammers with a deep and severe passion.  Certain this comes as a surprise, but I am not friendly to cold-callers, spammers, and the like.  I get quite rude with them.  Even go so far as to publish the numbers of spam text message sources that I can confirm have people on the other side.

This likely comes about from running mail servers for 20 years and dealing with the abuses.  At some point you just snap and it becomes a game.  A sick and twisted game that becomes a stress relief on days when you want to put your fist through the computer screen.  Having a bad day, just call up an IRS hoax caller and screw with them, or the "Apple support" people.  The best are the credit card people; they will cuss back at you and teach you all kinds of new insults in their various languages.

• Like 3

I host a few pages with old metal detector manuals and info. I get a few genuine detector-related emails in foreign languages. Most have been for things I don't provide like unobtanium schematics and obsolete parts or detectors for sale. I've used online translators to reply, but gave up that plan when the Arabic ones showed up. Almost never hear back or get a thanks anyway.

Jeeze..  My land line gets blown up like clockwork at noon every damn day.  How do I know? Because I am trying to sleep at that time.

Always some chicka saying she is "From the HR department". I hang up.  I have not been applying for jobs, and the opening is always 100% the same, so totally a scam anyway.

I have noticed that they seem extra thirsty for suckers lately.  I just wish I could get them to stop blowing up my landline.

• Like 1

I keep a landline just to suck up the spam calls. Never gets picked up and I use that phone number anytime I need to give a number to some online outfit that "requires" it ?.

I mean come on, who outside of family and close friends actually makes legitimate calls anymore? OK maybe the appliance service person telling me they are 5 minutes from the house... Even my dentist just sends text messages for appointment reminders.

• Like 1

I give the number for my VDSL line to people I know will abuse the privilege.  I give out throw-away email addresses that allow me to track who gives out or loses my information (looking right at you, Sprint,) and then block them at the server.  I hate giving real contact information to any vendor, supplier, or provider, because I know that 90% of them (give or take) will either abuse the information or suffer some sort of cloud compromise.  Especially for text.  I had not filled a prescription at CVS for almost a decade and it started sending me allergy season notifications.  My leasing company has only two options for contact in its maintenance form: email or text.  I hate people more and more as I get older.  Especially these darned kids.  ::shakes fist in the air::

Yeah, so, yesterday I had a moment and called up the IRS hoax people.  The guy threatened to come out and arrest my "bitch ass."  Good times.

• Thanks 2

Years ago when I got my first cellphone, the previous user of that number was some dirtbag lowlife scum sucking maggot who never paid his bills.  From day one going on for a couple of months before I changed cell providers and my number I kept getting calls from one especially rude and obnoxious bill collector.  He never would believe that I was not the douchebag he was trying to intimidate into paying up, but one time he made a mistake and called me from his HOME PHONE (I heard a kid in the background).   So what did I do?  I called his house at 2pm and when a woman picked up the phone, I explained to her the situation, and then I told her if the calls did not stop immediately, I would either start calling their number at all hours of the day and night like he was doing to me, or since I had their home phone number and their home address from the phonebook, file harassment charges against her husband since I now knew who he was.   I never got another call.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Yeah, so, yesterday I had a moment and called up the IRS hoax people.  The guy threatened to come out and arrest my "bitch ass."  Good times.

Good times, indeed.

I strung one of the "technical support department of Windows" guys along for a while once. When he finally realized what was going on, he shouted "Your computer is a piece of shit, and so are you! Fuck you!" and hung up.

It was my finest moment.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yup. Those are the worst.

They don't seemto want to call me none of them dudes call me anymore. I got something I can whip up I'm sure.

Right now even bill collectors won't call me back because I answer the phone and I say hello hello because it always takes them a couple minutes to turn on their headset, so I'm like hello oh look Harvey there's nobody on the phone and I click hang up. 

You can tell they start off with this call will be recorded for quality. Blah.  I'll pay my damn bill I made it I'll pay it

Edited by GDMike

I got a call on my landline just a couple of hours ago, from some scammer claiming to be from "Apple Support".  Funny thing is, I own ZERO (0) Apple products, and do not have an iCloud account, never did and never will.  Anyway below is their pitch to get you to call them to give all your personal information...

• Thanks 1