IGNORED

Danger Zone [DONE]

Muddyfunster

42 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Mateos requires a headerless ROM with the correct respective file extension. 

Please try this one:

Danger Zone Alpha5bc (POKEY 4000).48P 48 kB · 4 downloads

*EDIT:  Depending on when a particular Matoes cart was obtained and/or if it was updated, the cart may (not) support the needed format:

image.thumb.png.04850a20a260fb1e098c279bd91c6fbe.png

The below spoilers contains a list of the extensions and formats that should be supported by all Matoes carts:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.5746afb18d3f7528845ae46a274ed427.png

Final note...All extensions have to be in upper caser letters.

Darn! Guess I don't have the right one. Downloaded your ROM and it still behaves the same. The splash screen displays with the plane flying by, without sound and only the Pause button works (black & white).

4 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

Okay, my cart probably isn't compatible. I think I have the fifth cart Mateos produced, and he mentioned sending it back to him to be updated, but I didn't manage to do this before his absence.

Hmm. I don't know how many he made, but mine is #48 and the board has V3.0 stamped on it. Maybe my burner needs the firmware upgrade.  I would still the ROM. You never know.

@-^CrossBow^- Waiting to hear if it works on your Mateos. One of three wouldn't be so bad.

Mateos issues aside, the following configuration options are in and working and I'll post Beta 1 on Thursday.

The first option noted for each item is the default value. They can be mixed and matched in any game.

• fuel unlimited / limited
  • ammo - unlimited / 30 / 20 / 10
  • gun range - normal / long
  • guided ammo - yes / no
  • bullet wrap - yes / no
  • game type Timed Game 2:00, 1:30, 3:00, Scored Game 5pts, 10pts, 20pts (these are just until I decide what to have. These feel pretty good in testing though - open to feedback).

Win conditions for all game types are checked and working - 

Victory screen is in. I have some gfx block space left so I'll use that to give the win screen some polish.

For now I've removed saving to HSC & XM as I needed the rom space. I've also removed the "reset to defaults" for now. I'm happy to sacrifice loading & saving to get the better collision detection in. (running out of rom space :) ). If I have space, I'll bring them back.

So functionally, Beta 1 will be pretty much complete except for the new collision detection and some polish on the UI.

image.thumb.png.e912d00c338fd0a3c8a2536a716853ff.png

image.thumb.png.d0e15754af87fc48112b90ae61fec278.png

• Like 5

No, I get the same results as you except that the delays in my AV equipment turning on don't show the plan so when I get an image, I only have the AA logo and no audio. Pause works to put the screen into black and white and then press pause again to bring it back to color. So again, the CPU doesn't appear to halt during this routine.

@Muddyfunster just to see if the Pokey addressing has something to do with it, can you remove the pokey side of it just to see if we can get the game to come up? That would at least confirm if the pokey code is actually the issue?

• Like 1

Little update :

We have a "win screen" and logic to check who won or whether the match was drawn.

image.thumb.png.298a84a6e241dca0ca80b1bcca059272.png

Also the new collision code is working perfectly - I just need to work out all of the hit elements for each plane and cram that in to the rom space that's left. It's gonna be tight :)

@-^CrossBow^- haven't forgotten, will post a Pokeyless version later - just been a bit "in the zone" with my collision experiments (and cheers @RevEng)

• Like 3

No worries, most of us have plenty to play, test, or do in the meantime. I know for a fact that I do! And I don't even know if removing the pokeycode will get the game going further or not through the Mateos cart. It just seemed like a quick dirty hack to see if that might be an issue is all? As long a there is a way that you and at least a few others can test it on real metal hardware, that is what is most important.

• Like 3

@-^CrossBow^- @sramirez2008 I think I've found why it was hanging on the AA Splash on Mateos. The code waits for the tune to finish before proceeding. If it doesn't finish (because it didn't start) then it won't proceed. Simple fix = I've added a short timer so either that or the music finishing will nudge things to the next routine. 

I'll drop 2 Beta's later, one with this fix and one without. I expect the beta without to not work on Mateos (will "hang"). The one with, should work but probably with no Pokey sound, but at least it won't hang on the splash screen. If that plays out as I think it will, then I'll add some "no pokey" code to fix that permanently. Lets see :) 

The Beta will be pretty much everything except the new collision code which is working but not implemented yet.

• Like 1

This is Beta 4.

All play options are included.

New features:

• Limited ammo game tweaked : chose either 30, 20 or 10 shots. when both players are out, 5 more shots are awarded to each player. (may add a timer here give ammo after x seconds to stop a player getting  a lead and not shooting to refill ammo).
  • UI, UI only shows the elements in your game. If you choose any game that is not timed, or has unlimited ammo or fuel then those UI elements are not shown (as they are not needed).

Unless there are any major bugs or balance issues, I only plan to make a couple more changes :

• New bullet collision code isn't in yet : collisions in this version are quite loose -(the new code is basically pixel perfect - next beta!). 
  • Change the UI colours to white / light for night time games (sorry, they are still grey for now!).

Would appreciate feedback some balance items:

• Plane speeds - are they too fast, too slow, just right ?
  • Boost speed - are they too fast, too slow, just right ?
  • Bullet speed - are they too fast, too slow, just right?

Any other feedback is welcome!

Danger Zone Beta 4.bas.a78 Danger Zone Beta 4 - Stall Fix Mateos.bas.a78

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Would appreciate feedback some balance items:

• Plane speeds - are they too fast, too slow, just right ?
  • Boost speed - are they too fast, too slow, just right ?
  • Bullet speed - are they too fast, too slow, just right?

Overall plane speeds feel good.

• Can you increase the Boost Speed a tad?  We both felt that there needs to be a bit more of a difference between boost and slowdown
  • Can you also increase the bullet speed a tad?
  • During "Night" play, can you change the color of the bullets. Maybe its the colors on my 7800, but it was not easy to make out the bullets (would like to hear from others what they see/think)

Really liking this game. The planes look great and the game has good balance and controls. The dog fights are lots of fun and the variations lend to replay as well. We both agreed that this will be a big hit during our Atari Game Nights (whenever we're able to resume them).

Thanks for making a "Mateos" version of the ROM.?

• Like 1

@sramirez2008 great point about the bullets in night mode. I'll look at that when I do the UI night mode colours.

Boost speed and bullet speed I'll look into. The Boost speed is actually nearly dead on the original, but I wasn't sure whether to tweak and I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll add them both to the tweak list.

Thanks for taking the time to test and provide feedback - always appreciated. ?️?

9 hours ago, RevEng said:

Post #41 above has an attachment with the fix. ("Danger Zone Beta 4 - Stall Fix Mateos.bas.a78")

Ah I missed that as my computer/browser doesn't show the entire name of the file. On my screen they both say "Danger Zone Beta 4 -" and that is about it. If I mouse hover over them to look at the links then I can see them. I will see about trying it out later tonight although in my case, I'm the only player on Atari...hehe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Ah I missed that as my computer/browser doesn't show the entire name of the file. On my screen they both say "Danger Zone Beta 4 -" and that is about it. If I mouse hover over them to look at the links then I can see them. I will see about trying it out later tonight although in my case, I'm the only player on Atari...hehe

@-^CrossBow^-Hmm...this could be another use for the PlusCart. If each of us had one and the ROM were set up to work with PlusCart, we could actually play against one another, while testing. How cool would that be!?

Edited by sramirez2008
miss-spelling
  • Like 1