IGNORED

Pondering About Max's - Longplay

Guy1

I was enthralled by the animated lion on the second level of P.A.M, but all the animation in this game is just top-notch and maybe the best in-game animation of any platformer on the Atari. I can't say over-all, as, if nothing else, Lucasfilm's Eidelon creatures come to mind right away.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I was enthralled by the animated lion on the second level of P.A.M, but all the animation in this game is just top-notch and maybe the best in-game animation of any platformer on the Atari. I can't say over-all, as, if nothing else, Lucasfilm's Eidelon creatures come to mind right away.

I agree, wow this looks really lovely!

• Like 1

Great game skills, almost as good as me back in the day...

And if you believe that I'll tell you another...

Seriously well played and great figuring out and very appreciated by myself who for many reasons would not see that far in..(Falling out of bed with a spine injury and landing on my neck the other night has not helped)

The joys of night terrors..

As Xr said, its a pleasure to see it played well..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Yes, a serious amount of work went in to this game, amazed it wasn't seen by many at the time...As said before, I'd not seen it until a couple of years ago on here, I certainly would have remembered that back in the day..Instant classic. Love all the call backs to other games and songs as well, wonder if Nik was asked :)

Donkey kong, Summer or Winter games etc...Nice..

7 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Yes, a serious amount of work went in to this game, amazed it wasn't seen by many at the time...As said before, I'd not seen it until a couple of years ago on here, I certainly would have remembered that back in the day..Instant classic. Love all the call backs to other games and songs as well, wonder if Nik was asked :)

I wonder if the creator is contactable, would be nice to ask about PM Madness any other more hidden secrets..

25 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I wonder if the creator is contactable, would be nice to ask about PM Madness any other more hidden secrets..

The Designer was Mark Peters (Change In Heat, Iowa City).

Maybe the way to create "PM Madness" is to have everyone Private Message this guy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

To me the game play is reminiscent of a few games, Donkey Kong Jr. comes to mind, maybe mixed with a bit of Henry's House (though I haven't played it in over 20 years; time to give it another go...). I just wish it was as colorful as H.H.

51 minutes ago, zzip said:

Yeah the one weakness is the palette.   Maybe get a couple of DLIs in there with slightly brighter colors in the main palette.

And the programmer used DLI's on the title screens, strange he didn't do too on the game screens.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I think I've solved the mystery of creating "PM Madness", PM referring to Player/Missile sprites.

Spoiler

I must've tried 1000 things.  I did it once and couldn't remember exactly what I did.  Finally I re-stumbled upon it and recognized how it happened.

I can glitch it in the atari800 emulator (linux) and also in mame's a800xl driver.

so what you do is to first jump down to the level where the Eggle is going back and forth and position yourself at the very leftmost spot where you won't get knocked off.  Then jump on the Eggle while moving rightward, use him as a springboard, keep jumping onto the spring, you'll reflect off the wall, then jump off the spring again and presto, PM Madness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0GqYu7ctI

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if someone, (the original coder or someone else with permission), would want to revisit them and add dli colouring? I like the idea of bringing the same wonderful colouring that the aforementioned Henry's house has into this game with the apparent animation already in place. Just watched one of the gameplay vids. Looks great. 

3 hours ago, Guy1 said:

Nice work! Glad to have closure. I've pinned your YouTube comment for visibility.

Thanks, Guy1!

After reading about "creating PM Madness" I had to find the answer!

Would've been cool if there were a hidden message like Warren Robinett's Adventure.

Fun link: XEGS carts that should have been:

https://intotheverticalblank.com/2021/03/28/xegs-carts-that-should-have-been-vol-2/

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, rdefabri said:

The packaging on this game was outstanding...

Yes, it was/is.

3 hours ago, rdefabri said:

...can't believe this wasn't more prominent, I never heard of it before.

It was late in the Atari 8-bit lifespan (at least in the U.S. -- where it was released)... 1989.

• Like 1