Guy1

Pondering About Max's - Longplay

I was enthralled by the animated lion on the second level of P.A.M, but all the animation in this game is just top-notch and maybe the best in-game animation of any platformer on the Atari. I can't say over-all, as, if nothing else, Lucasfilm's Eidelon creatures come to mind right away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I was enthralled by the animated lion on the second level of P.A.M, but all the animation in this game is just top-notch and maybe the best in-game animation of any platformer on the Atari. I can't say over-all, as, if nothing else, Lucasfilm's Eidelon creatures come to mind right away.

I agree, wow this looks really lovely!

• Like 1

great fun!

not an easy game so its a delight to see it played well 😁

• Like 2

Great game skills, almost as good as me back in the day...

And if you believe that I'll tell you another...

Seriously well played and great figuring out and very appreciated by myself who for many reasons would not see that far in..(Falling out of bed with a spine injury and landing on my neck the other night has not helped)

The joys of night terrors..

As Xr said, its a pleasure to see it played well..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Yes, a serious amount of work went in to this game, amazed it wasn't seen by many at the time...As said before, I'd not seen it until a couple of years ago on here, I certainly would have remembered that back in the day..Instant classic. Love all the call backs to other games and songs as well, wonder if Nik was asked :)

Donkey kong, Summer or Winter games etc...Nice..

7 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Yes, a serious amount of work went in to this game, amazed it wasn't seen by many at the time...As said before, I'd not seen it until a couple of years ago on here, I certainly would have remembered that back in the day..Instant classic. Love all the call backs to other games and songs as well, wonder if Nik was asked :)

I wonder if the creator is contactable, would be nice to ask about PM Madness any other more hidden secrets..

25 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

I wonder if the creator is contactable, would be nice to ask about PM Madness any other more hidden secrets..

The Designer was Mark Peters (Change In Heat, Iowa City).

Maybe the way to create "PM Madness" is to have everyone Private Message this guy!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

To me the game play is reminiscent of a few games, Donkey Kong Jr. comes to mind, maybe mixed with a bit of Henry's House (though I haven't played it in over 20 years; time to give it another go...). I just wish it was as colorful as H.H.

puts so many other games on the Atari 8-bit to shame!  Shows what could be done with proper graphics and animation design.

6 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I just wish it was as colorful as H.H.

Yeah the one weakness is the palette.   Maybe get a couple of DLIs in there with slightly brighter colors in the main palette.

51 minutes ago, zzip said:

Yeah the one weakness is the palette.   Maybe get a couple of DLIs in there with slightly brighter colors in the main palette.

And the programmer used DLI's on the title screens, strange he didn't do too on the game screens.