goldengalaxiesgaming

How well will mobile games on the Amico do?

A quick 3 minute video where I ask about mobile games on the Amico. Seems they're looking to bring mobile into our living rooms with a multi-player experience. Will it work?

• Confused 2

When I think about all the things I don't like about mobile games, none of them are improved by adding additional players.  Misery does not love company.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

They won't do good at all. Why buy a $300 machine to play the 99 cent game you already have on your phone? 

• Like 9

Depends on how much of the play structure layer is removed on the Amico. If it is a more traditionally purchased game, and the elements of free to play and additional dlc revenue is removed, it could actually be a great way to play some games that would be fun on mobile if it weren't for their pay structure. 

• Like 5

I think porting mobile games to a home console is an interesting idea because people may prefer to play games on an HD TV rather than their phone but they're really just rolling the dice with this idea. It could work for casual gamers but the online community of serious gamers (such as us in these forums) probably aren't interested in that. And I could see the Amico loaded with shovelware. As far as it being an Intellivision system, I was interested at first by the idea of re-imagined games but there doesn't seem to be much focus on that and I don't like the cartoonish design as seen in Shark Shark. I do like the running man games and the neon colors of a few games but it doesn't make me want to buy the system. When I first heard about the Amico I was hoping for an HD console to play new Intellivision games that maybe would also play my original cartridges too. I could see Hyperkin making a clone console, I doubt that Analogue would do such a thing. There's such a great community of homebrew developers making new Intellivision games and plenty of original titles I would like to have so I will save my money for that and pass on the Amico.

To be honest, most of the Amico line-up already looks like "mobile games" to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, youxia said:

To be honest, most of the Amico line-up already looks like "mobile games" to me.

I think that's the OP's point.

• Like 2

I don't think mobile type games is particularly bad. I've been buying some on my Switch lately, but I can also play my Mario games. 

I think the issue will more be will people want to spend $250 to know they won't have ads in their mobile type games?

Anyone looking for a good boss rush game on Switch check this out. It's less than $3 on sale from same people who did Gunman Clive. Got local co-op too. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/mechstermination-force-switch/

• Like 2

But does your phone have synchronized light shows to go along with those games?

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, goldengalaxiesgaming said:

I think porting mobile games to a home console is an interesting idea because people may prefer to play games on an HD TV rather than their phone but they're really just rolling the dice with this idea. It could work for casual gamers but the online community of serious gamers (such as us in these forums) probably aren't interested in that. ...

Very few of the Amico games are ports of mobile games.  Some are ports of PS4/Switch games.

On 10/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, godslabrat said:

When I think about all the things I don't like about mobile games, none of them are improved by adding additional players.  Misery does not love company.

What are the things you don't like about mobile games?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TACODON said:

But does your phone have synchronized light shows to go along with those games?

No but if I wanted to take the time to give me or my kid a seizure I could rig my RPi to do it. 

Another great looking game that I would consider on the higher end of mobile looking is Jenny LeClue - Detectivu. It's on Switch right now for sale under $3. Looks like a really good game. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/jenny-leclue-detectivu-switch/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, mr_me said:

1- The Free-To-Play-Pay-To-Win model.  I don't mind free games, and I don't mind paying for games, but free games that expect me to pay on the backend in order to tilt the challenge in my favor are toxic.

2- Controls that only work for tap-centric games.  That's a small minority of the games I like to play.  Good controls are really important and can't be overstated.

3- Games with zero depth, running generic engines with minimal graphic flipping.  Granted, these are not limited to mobile, but the economics of mobile games makes them multiply in number.

None of these gripes magically go away when you add the option of more players.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I'll interject a brief answer here.

Too many mobile games are brief twitchy games. Too much pay-2-play. Too much repetitive background music. And they're designed for short attention spans. A distraction designed to keep you clicking and touching the screen constantly. Graphics are too Adobe Flash-like. Very generic engines and all that.

• Like 5

I think some of what people don't like is that a lot of mobile games look as though they were made with generic assets. It makes them look cheap.

Yes, we use to play old blocky games that honestly look crappy to modern graphics. But just because I can type a paper on a typewriter doesn't mean a computer isn't infinitely better. I did have fun playing Tetris on the old Word Processor we had BITD. There is sometimes a fine line between simple looking vs cheap looking. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

1- The Free-To-Play-Pay-To-Win model.  I don't mind free games, and I don't mind paying for games, but free games that expect me to pay on the backend in order to tilt the challenge in my favor are toxic.

2- Controls that only work for tap-centric games.  That's a small minority of the games I like to play.  Good controls are really important and can't be overstated.

3- Games with zero depth, running generic engines with minimal graphic flipping.  Granted, these are not limited to mobile, but the economics of mobile games makes them multiply in number.

None of these gripes magically go away when you add the option of more players.

Amico definitely addresses numbers one and two.  Might have to see more game play to know about number three.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Amico definitely addresses numbers one and two.  Might have to see more game play to know about number three.

The question was, how will the games be improved by adding multiplayer.  I contend they won't be.

• Like 2

With many of these games they're not adding multiplayer; they are being designed as a multiplayer game.  Some games will be better in multiplayer mode, some might be better in their single player mode.  Depends on the game.  

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Another great example of a game with simple graphics but not cheap looking. Been playing a lot of Mana Spark today. Fun game got it for a $1 on both Steam and Switch. Simple to play in small doses but has some depth to it.

It does have DLC but it is only $4 and adds a character room's and co-op. However it isn't needed to enjoy otherwise. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/mana-spark-switch/

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

With many of these games they're not adding multiplayer; they are being designed as a multiplayer game.  Some games will be better in multiplayer mode, some might be better in their single player mode.  Depends on the game.  

Which means even less is changing.  Not a convincing point if the games aren't great in the first place.  And since the OP was talking specifically about subpar mobile games, that's by definition the case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Why would they port a subpar mobile game to Amico?

I don't know.  I'm not in charge of the Amico, and have had no input as to their decisions on which games to port.

I'm just going to say the OP's title is a loaded question and over-simplification of reality for an unknown reason.

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I think some of what people don't like is that a lot of mobile games look as though they were made with generic assets. It makes them look cheap.

That's right.

Yes, we use to play old blocky games that honestly look crappy to modern graphics. But just because I can type a paper on a typewriter doesn't mean a computer isn't infinitely better. I did have fun playing Tetris on the old Word Processor we had BITD. There is sometimes a fine line between simple looking vs cheap looking. 

Thing here is that the old blocky games projected their own style. And in the case of the VCS each game had its own custom kernal or pico-sized "operating system". Miniature Golf vs Adventure vs Flag Capture vs Surround were all quite blocky but had unmistakable distinct individual flavors.

It was this variety of flavors we chased after. So when boredom set in, out came the "old" cartridge and in went a new one!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Keatah said:

That's right.

Thing here is that the old blocky games projected their own style. And in the case of the VCS each game had its own custom kernal or pico-sized "operating system". Miniature Golf vs Adventure vs Flag Capture vs Surround were all quite blocky but had unmistakable distinct individual flavors.

It was this variety of flavors we chased after. So when boredom set in, out came the "old" cartridge and in went a new one!

That's interesting, as someone recently commented they thought the Amico should have a single distinctive style that made it immediately recognizable, like games on the NES, SNES and Genesis, instead of styles that varied all over the place, like the Amico does. I'll agree that before that, in the second generation, they had more variety, but most of the commercial retro we see today is 3rd-5th Gen.

• Like 1