IGNORED

TI-99/4a MiSTer Core

yell0w_lantern

1 minute ago, retroclouds said:

Have no chance to try it out, but could it be F18a support?

That would be cool and the core is out there. Not sure if it can be made compatible with mister.

Something important for the feature list: 1 mb SAMS support

The SAMS is already supported (I do not remember if 512MB or 1MB, but it's indicated on the github page). And yes, the new feature is the F18A. ? 

At the moment is an alpha stage, so you cannot play yet the Zaxxon game from @Asmusr, but the developer (it's nick on the MiSTer forum is Flandango, not sure he is on AA) has just started working on it and seems to be very talented and fast in the execution, so I bet we could have a better version in short.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping someone can help me as I attempt to document TI floppy disk usage in the MiSTer Manual (https://github.com/adreeve/MiSTerManual/).

I was able to create a blank TI disk image using TI99Dir and load/save a BASIC program created in TI BASIC, but am unable to load games from the Editor/Assembler cartridge. I have several disk images from whtech.com and I am able to get a directory of the files on the disk using the Disk Manager software, but when I try to load/run programs from said disk I get an Error 0. At that point if I return to the EA cartridge then it can no longer perform a directory function on the disk.

Any ideas as to what I might be doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance.

43 minutes ago, areeve said:

I am hoping someone can help me as I attempt to document TI floppy disk usage in the MiSTer Manual (https://github.com/adreeve/MiSTerManual/).

I was able to create a blank TI disk image using TI99Dir and load/save a BASIC program created in TI BASIC, but am unable to load games from the Editor/Assembler cartridge. I have several disk images from whtech.com and I am able to get a directory of the files on the disk using the Disk Manager software, but when I try to load/run programs from said disk I get an Error 0. At that point if I return to the EA cartridge then it can no longer perform a directory function on the disk.

Any ideas as to what I might be doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance.

The disk must be SSSD (90K) or DSSD format (180K). I've tried several disks with MiSTer TI99 core without any problem (with EA, MM, XB, etc.). Try to download my MiSTer TI99 MegaPack V3.0 (MiSTer TI99 MegaPack V3) and try again with the disks in it, they'll should all working fine.

Probably some of the disks from whtech are PC99 360K disk, so you should read the directory with Disk Manager, but cannot load them correctly.

55 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

The disk must be SSSD (90K) or DSSD format (180K). I've tried several disks with MiSTer TI99 core without any problem (with EA, MM, XB, etc.). Try to download my MiSTer TI99 MegaPack V3.0 (MiSTer TI99 MegaPack V3) and try again with the disks in it, they'll should all working fine.

Probably some of the disks from whtech are PC99 360K disk, so you should read the directory with Disk Manager, but cannot load them correctly.

Probably need to convert the PC99 disk if they are that to V9T9 disk image.

28 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

Probably need to convert the PC99 disk if they are that to V9T9 disk image.

Thanks for the quick responses... yes, both images are 90k (92,160 bytes) which matches the length of my TI99dir created image. As I'm not familiar with either PC99 or theV9t9 .dsk image format I can't say for sure, but after looking at both in a hex editor the headers, at least, look similar. I've attached the two images in ? if there's any interest in looking at them.

In the meantime I'll try some images from the MegaPack.

- Thanks, Alan

0031-6 Atari Game [EA OPT3 Atari].dsk 0029-4 EA Games.dsk

I do get rather upset at Ti99Dir making Filenames to lower case all the time.

Do not understand how a UPPER CASE name is changed to LOWER CASE and for what reason?

If it was UPPPER CASE it should stay that way and if LOWER CASE should also stay that way.

Mister reads the disk fine it is more likely that you don't know how to load the games from editor assembler you have to go into editor assembler and go to option five to load the ea5 program games or option 3 for the ea3 dis/fix 80 atari games disc the photos show the catalogs of the disks..

It's difficult to catalog a disk in ea without a disk manager program. Though you could type in one in ti basic or load one from another disk..
2c87ddfaadf852a4be70cb785e61c980.jpg67662e29ae2f574ab8ef611e84a08e73.jpg

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RXB said:

I do get rather upset at Ti99Dir making Filenames to lower case all the time.

Do not understand how a UPPER CASE name is changed to LOWER CASE and for what reason?

If it was UPPPER CASE it should stay that way and if LOWER CASE should also stay that way.

I haven't used TDIR in awhile, wondering if it makes changes based on Pc keyboard settings. I mean, is it determined on wether caps lock is already on or off when using TDIR? That would make sense to me.

11 hours ago, GDMike said:

I haven't used TDIR in awhile, wondering if it makes changes based on Pc keyboard settings. I mean, is it determined on wether caps lock is already on or off when using TDIR? That would make sense to me.

Ok what does that have to do with file copy?

Why would the CAPS LOCK affect FILE COPY or FILE CONVERSIONS?

That is like if your car radio is on you can only turn left!

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, RXB said:

So everyone is smart as you and knows everything? I KNOW that I ask a lot of stuff, that is most probably stupid". Should I now be scared to ask about stuff. Just in case it is TO STUPID to ask or say?

And that gives YOU the right to be this "nice", what about being just helpful and remember that sometimes people do not know or maybe even forgotten stuff. Most of all... How did you help and how did this make things better? Do you think he will ask you for stuff or maybe even MORE important. What is his motivation to try out your stuff? Your shooting yourself in the foot! The irony is that sometimes I read that people say stuff to YOU and YOU misread or misunderstand and you get offended. But, for some reason you do not understand it the other way? Here is no misreading or misunderstanding of what your saying. You are clearing saying indirectly that he is stupid! So... IF YOU don't like it when YOU think people have offended you, why do YOU think it is OK to offend others?

I am pretty sure you have asked and or said stuff that was "Dohooo, did you not know that?"

Please, be nice! And if you can not... please, just don't say anything!

This is the second time in a short time you do not "ADD" to a discussion!

• Like 3

On 9/17/2021 at 12:34 PM, tmop69 said:

I tried images from the MegaPack and get the same result.... error 0 when I try to load them from the EA ROM. I am using ROMs from the MegaPack for EA, XB... etc so I have to think those are good (I questioned whether perhaps I had a bad ROM for the EA?). In addition to not being able to load EA programs, XB programs fail to autoload. It would seem I can start with the Disk Manager (1, 2, or 3) and get dirs (catalogs) of as many disks as I want and I can use TI BASIC and load/save to disk just fine, but as soon as I load a full ROM such as EA, XB, or something else then disk support dies for me meaning to EA option 3/5 gives me an error 0 (and XB also does not autoload) and I have to Reset to get the little disk support I have working again. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. I even tried my other MiSTer in case it was some obscure hardware error. The only other thing I can think of is starting with a fresh SD install so that's up next.

4 minutes ago, areeve said:

I tried images from the MegaPack and get the same result.... error 0 when I try to load them from the EA ROM. I am using ROMs from the MegaPack for EA, XB... etc so I have to think those are good (I questioned whether perhaps I had a bad ROM for the EA?). In addition to not being able to load EA programs, XB programs fail to autoload. It would seem I can start with the Disk Manager (1, 2, or 3) and get dirs (catalogs) of as many disks as I want and I can use TI BASIC and load/save to disk just fine, but as soon as I load a full ROM such as EA, XB, or something else then disk support dies for me meaning to EA option 3/5 gives me an error 0 (and XB also does not autoload) and I have to Reset to get the little disk support I have working again. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. I even tried my other MiSTer in case it was some obscure hardware error. The only other thing I can think of is starting with a fresh SD install so that's up next.

you have to load the EA with disk controller image to use it with the disk controller

24 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

you have to load the EA with disk controller image to use it with the disk controller

I *thought* having the disk controller meant I needed the boot rom with disk.bin in it. Can you clarify what 'loading the EA with the disk controller image' means in more of a step by step? I am currently

1) Select the TI core

2) From the OSD choose load full ROM to load the EA ROM

3) From the OSD select a .dsk image for drive 1

4) Select 2 from the TI menu to run the EA

5) Select option 3 or 5 from the EA menu to run a program from the disk

If I'm missing a step (or two or three...) I'd be grateful if you could share specifically what I need to do for said step(s).

Edited by areeve
Fix typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oddemann said:

So everyone is smart as you and knows everything? I KNOW that I ask a lot of stuff, that is most probably stupid". Should I now be scared to ask about stuff. Just in case it is TO STUPID to ask or say?

And that gives YOU the right to be this "nice", what about being just helpful and remember that sometimes people do not know or maybe even forgotten stuff. Most of all... How did you help and how did this make things better? Do you think he will ask you for stuff or maybe even MORE important. What is his motivation to try out your stuff? Your shooting yourself in the foot! The irony is that sometimes I read that people say stuff to YOU and YOU misread or misunderstand and you get offended. But, for some reason you do not understand it the other way? Here is no misreading or misunderstanding of what your saying. You are clearing saying indirectly that he is stupid! So... IF YOU don't like it when YOU think people have offended you, why do YOU think it is OK to offend others?

I am pretty sure you have asked and or said stuff that was "Dohooo, did you not know that?"

Please, be nice! And if you can not... please, just don't say anything!

This is the second time in a short time you do not "ADD" to a discussion!

I thought since Ti99Dir was mentioned I had the right to say something. 

Silly me I should have asked your permission first!

I *thought* having the disk controller meant I needed the boot rom with disk.bin in it. Can you clarify what 'loading the EA with the disk controller image' means in more of a step by step? I am currently

1) Select the TI core
2) From the OSD choose load full ROM to load the EA ROM
3) From the OSD select a .dsk image for drive 1
4) Select 2 from the TI menu to run the EA
5) Select option 3 or 5 from the EA menu to run a program from the disk

If I'm missing a step (or two or three...) I'd be grateful if you could share specifically what I need to do for said step(s).
Ok if you have the latest files from Ciro you should see one that includes the disk controller with the ea cart do you have that

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RXB said:

BTW, did anyone ask the author of TDIR their thoughts,.. asking for a friend of a friend.

Edited by GDMike
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Ok if you have the latest files from Ciro you should see one that includes the disk controller with the ea cart do you have that

Thank you! That was my issue and lack of understanding (well, still don't really understand the why, but I'll have to read up on that). It's so nice to see disk loading working here. (And thanks for responding before I spent time setting up a new MiSTer install for no reason!)

• Like 1

Thank you! That was my issue and lack of understanding (well, still don't really understand the why, but I'll have to read up on that). It's so nice to see disk loading working here. (And thanks for responding before I spent time setting up a new MiSTer install for no reason!)

Np

The guy who designed the interface for the mister is obviously never used the ti or any of the peripherals for it... It could be so much better but it is what it is he also needs to put in a better disk controller there are double-sided double density controllers and hard disk controllers and a bunch of other stuff that would be way better than the stock TI one

• Like 3

11 hours ago, areeve said:

I think you have now solved the problem, anyway it seems that you used an old "boot.rom"/"tiroms.bin" created previously the disk support addition. So the Disk ROM was not added...

In the "ReadMe.txt" file in the latest pack I've specified that it now contains console GROM+ROM+SPEECH ROM+DISK ROM. Moreover, I've recreated all the "FULL ROM" images of SSS that are requiring/using the disk.
This is indicated in the suffix. E.g. "[PROGR] TI Extended Basic v110 (1981)(Texas Instruments)[PHM 3026]_FULL-ROM+DISK+SPEECH.bin" means that you can load it as full image (option C in the MiSTer menu) and has, in addition to GROM+ROM of XB, also the SPEECH and DISK. This to speedup/semplify the use of the core (of course based on my personal experience).

In the next pack (I should release it soon) I've added some more detailed instructions on how to load disk with EA, to help in particular those who haven't used/owned a TI99. Of course, if you need help just ask here or on the MiSTer forum in the TI99 thread. 

5 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

The guy who designed the interface for the mister is obviously never used the ti or any of the peripherals for it... It could be so much better but it is what it is he also needs to put in a better disk controller there are double-sided double density controllers and hard disk controllers and a bunch of other stuff that would be way better than the stock TI one

Yes, the guy that added the disk controller support never owned/used a TI, but we were lucky he was taking care of the MiSTer core for our poor TI99 and in very short time added the disk, the SAMS, the PAL/NTSC switch, larger cart support, etc. And is now looking at the F18A implementation...

Moreover, the UI of the core (including disk support) is aligned to the MiSTer framework and has its logic/coherence.

So it's better to not criticize, but to suggest and request improvements/additions in the appropriate forum/thread. The involvement in such forum of 99ers is really scarce, so I'm surpised that we still have someone interested in upgrading our TI99 core.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, tmop69 said:

I think you have now solved the problem, anyway it seems that you used an old "boot.rom"/"tiroms.bin" created previously the disk support addition. So the Disk ROM was not added...

In the "ReadMe.txt" file in the latest pack I've specified that it now contains console GROM+ROM+SPEECH ROM+DISK ROM. Moreover, I've recreated all the "FULL ROM" images of SSS that are requiring/using the disk.
This is indicated in the suffix. E.g. "[PROGR] TI Extended Basic v110 (1981)(Texas Instruments)[PHM 3026]_FULL-ROM+DISK+SPEECH.bin" means that you can load it as full image (option C in the MiSTer menu) and has, in addition to GROM+ROM of XB, also the SPEECH and DISK. This to speedup/semplify the use of the core (of course based on my personal experience).

In the next pack (I should release it soon) I've added some more detailed instructions on how to load disk with EA, to help in particular those who haven't used/owned a TI99. Of course, if you need help just ask here or on the MiSTer forum in the TI99 thread. 

Just to be clear, that was not the issue and was actually why this is so confusing. Getting the proper boot.rom is what allowed me to get a directory (catalog) of files in Disk Manager and load/save BASIC programs in TI BASIC in the first place. That made it seem like I had what was needed to support loading everything from disk so I figured I could load the EA ROM and then load EA 3/5 programs... apparently not. Apparently I needed an EA ROM with disk controller support in it. I'm still trying to learn about the TI's funky architecture and hopefully one day I'll pull my TI and PEB out and experiment with them (and hopefully they'll still work ?).

Thanks against to those that guided me through resolving this issue. I doubt I'd have figured it out solo any time soon.

Basically when you load a ROM package it will overwrite what you loaded already. Sometimes.

I've had it load multiple carts at the same time also but not always..

The way the real computer works is your cards have DSR roms on them that are always loaded. They are plug and play so if you have a disk drive you always have a disk drive no matter what program you load it's always available.

That's one of the reasons I said the mister designer obviously never used a real TI

He should make it so it clearly loads the hardware as options and pulls the ROMs in as selected instead of making us load them into all of the cartridge zip files separately for us to have disk access.

• Like 3