IGNORED

TI-99/4a MiSTer Core

yell0w_lantern

14 minutes ago, areeve said:

Just to be clear, that was not the issue and was actually why this is so confusing. Getting the proper boot.rom is what allowed me to get a directory (catalog) of files in Disk Manager and load/save BASIC programs in TI BASIC in the first place. That made it seem like I had what was needed to support loading everything from disk so I figured I could load the EA ROM and then load EA 3/5 programs... apparently not. Apparently I needed an EA ROM with disk controller support in it. I'm still trying to learn about the TI's funky architecture and hopefully one day I'll pull my TI and PEB out and experiment with them (and hopefully they'll still work ?).

Thanks against to those that guided me through resolving this issue. I doubt I'd have figured it out solo any time soon.

Just to be CLEAR, I think you mean EA GROM as it is not a ROM as those are Assembly based and EA GROM is GPL based.

If you want the source code for it I can post it.

Just to be CLEAR, I think you mean EA GROM as it is not a ROM as those are Assembly based and EA GROM is GPL based.
If you want the source code for it I can post it.
You know probably a good idea would be to read the ti FAQ since that has good explanations of all the pieces of the puzzle
https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/ti-99-4a-faq/

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

That's one of the reasons I said the mister designer obviously never used a real TI

He should make it so it clearly loads the hardware as options and pulls the ROMs in as selected instead of making us load them into all of the cartridge zip files separately for us to have disk access.

There's one "mister designer" - Alexey Melnikov, aka Sorgelig. He's the guy responsible for the software framework and design of the many add on boards. MiSTer covers all the platforms from the beginning to PSX-era, so as you might imagine there's quite a few of them. There's no way one person can snap their fingers and instantly fix every problem and grant every wish in regard to all these cores, many of which are developed by other people and/or were ported from other platforms.

MiSTer is a WIP, and every update brings a slew of new fixes and tweaks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

You know probably a good idea would be to read the ti FAQ since that has good explanations of all the pieces of the puzzle
https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/ti-99-4a-faq/

Ok what is EA ROM? As this is why I said EA GROM is not a ROM?

Is there some new version of EA GROM written in ROM for EA?

Does GPL now run from ROM now?

Edited by RXB

4 hours ago, youxia said:

There's no way one person can snap their fingers and instantly fix every problem and grant every wish in regard to all these cores, many of which are developed by other people and/or were ported from other platforms.

MiSTer is a WIP, and every update brings a slew of new fixes and tweaks.

I did not see any such demand or claim. The criticism was concise and precise, including an observation that has since been confirmed, followed by factual information which could be taken under advisement.  None of it appeared disparaging.  Engineers and technically precise people often say exactly what they have to say without bracketing it with personal fluff.  No need to take or assume offense.

• Like 6

Only Singe Density Disks? I have a Corcomp Controller not a single disk is Single Density they have all been converted to DSDD.

Been using TIPI so even Corcomp has been pretty much useless.

At least I can access TIPI from XB or RXB.

Hope they can updated MiSTer to DSDD and access from XB or RXB.

• Like 2

New post on the MiSTer TI99 thread that could be interesting from Flandango (the guy that is supporting this core):

"I managed to get the TIPI firmware modified to work with Mister and the TI core and also connect the Raspberry Pi via the User Port.
If there is any interest, especially if you have some soldering skills and willing to make your own cable, I can post the core here for folks to try out.
"

So, if there is some guy here that have both and is wanting to try, just ask on the TI99 thread (TIPI and MiSTer TI99 core). ;-) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 11:32 AM, tmop69 said:

New post on the MiSTer TI99 thread that could be interesting from Flandango (the guy that is supporting this core):

"I managed to get the TIPI firmware modified to work with Mister and the TI core and also connect the Raspberry Pi via the User Port.
If there is any interest, especially if you have some soldering skills and willing to make your own cable, I can post the core here for folks to try out.
"

So, if there is some guy here that have both and is wanting to try, just ask on the TI99 thread (TIPI and MiSTer TI99 core). ;-) 

I have this working here, much nicer than copying single disks over.. 

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have this working here, much nicer than copying single disks over.. 

Greg, could you pls. prepare a tutorial/video on how it's working on MiSTer?

In the meanwhile, the TI99 core was also updated with P-System support. ? 

On 9/23/2021 at 11:32 AM, tmop69 said:

"

I didn't see the point of buying the MiSTer 'analog board' given most cores were migrating away from the second sd-card and I (personal preference) connect all my RGB things to a single HDMI display... So my MiSTer setup has bespoke LED and button setup, and some USB hub, basically... I think the user-port boils down to some DE-10 pins with 10k pullups and some inline resisters ? 100ohm ? as well... Has anyone seen documentation anywhere on just the user port without the 'usb-ish' connector?  I wouldn't think those resisters necessary for PI to FPGA connections. 

• 2 weeks later...
Greg, could you pls. prepare a tutorial/video on how it's working on MiSTer?

In the meanwhile, the TI99 core was also updated with P-System support. [emoji846] 

So basically it's pretty simple you have to buy a small USB breakout board which he includes in the instructions I ordered one and they sent me the wrong board so I had to order a second one. I use Dupont connectors to connect that board to the pi. Make the SD card as instructed in the TIPI wiki https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki and boot the pi with that installed.

After that it's just select the TIPI on mister and CALL TIPI in ti basic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2021 at 10:58 AM, arcadeshopper said:

So basically it's pretty simple you have to buy a small USB breakout board which he includes in the instructions I ordered one and they sent me the wrong board so I had to order a second one. I use Dupont connectors to connect that board to the pi. Make the SD card as instructed in the TIPI wiki https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki and boot the pi with that installed.

After that it's just select the TIPI on mister and CALL TIPI in ti basic.

Greg,

What is your approximate investment in the breakout board, and the Mister board, and other accessories (if needed)?

1 minute ago, 9640News said:

Greg,

What is your approximate investment in the breakout board, and the Mister board, and other accessories (if needed)?

Mister

de-10 devkit: $130

io board (I got this in trade) they are at misteraddons for $50

wifi adapter: (mister compat) $13.93

128m Ram: $78.99

Breakout board: $11

dupont cables for breakout->pi: (already had)

Pi3b+: $40

usb hub for multiple usb devices on mister (already had) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you've not decided yet your gift for Christmas, maybe a MiSTer to run the TI99 core could be a good choice... ?

There are great news for the next future update for the TI core!

Today I've connected the TI original tape recorder to the audiod jack on MiSTer and was able to successfully read two tapes (Programmers Aid I and Pirate Adventure, both original)! The recorder and tapes are approx. 38 years old, but are working perfectly. 
I'll run some other tests, however I think the tape support is now working fine.

Many, many thanks to @Flandango for the excellent work done! ?

Some photos are needed here to celebrate the event. And, yes, also the Dragon's Lair Demo is now working fine on MiSTer TI99 core. ?

20211211_184557.jpg

20211211_183606.jpg

20211211_183554.jpg

DLairDemo_Mister.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tmop69 said:

If you've not decided yet your gift for Christmas, maybe a MiSTer to run the TI99 core could be a good choice... ?

There are great news for the next future update for the TI core!

Today I've connected the TI original tape recorder to the audiod jack on MiSTer and was able to successfully read two tapes (Programmers Aid I and Pirate Adventure, both original)! The recorder and tapes are approx. 38 years old, but are working perfectly. 
I'll run some other tests, however I think the tape support is now working fine.

Many, many thanks to @Flandango for the excellent work done! ?

Some photos are needed here to celebrate the event. And, yes, also the Dragon's Lair Demo is now working fine on MiSTer TI99 core. ?

DLairDemo_Mister.jpg

is Dragons Lair now available in .bin format?

The updated (not yet "official") core with tape support and other additions was just released by @Flandango on the MiSTer TI99 thread (MiSTer TI99 thread).

To support this updated version in attachment my MegaPack v4.0 with all the SSS already converted to the new .M99 format, the various BIOS, etc. It also includes the last homebrews released, new disks, etc.

If you want to test some tapes, just download the .wav provided on TI99IUC site (e.g. The WallOthello were tested and working fine on MiSTer core).

Have fun! ? 

TI99_MiSTer_FPGA_Core_SSS_Mega_Pack_V4.0.0_Beta_16122021_by_TMOP.zip

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Quick (hopefully not silly....) question - I have been trying to load Force Command 1.32 under this new core and am not having any success. Have tried using the .M99 and ROM and GROM selections in the core and I can't seem to get it to load.

Not sure what I am doing wrong or if Force Command can't be used with this core at the moment. Any help would be great!

Cheers :)

Edited by mnielsenau
  • Like 1

Quick (hopefully not silly....) question - I have been trying to load Force Command 1.32 under this new core and am not having any success. Have tried using the .M99 and ROM and GROM selections in the core and I can't seem to get it to load.

Not sure what I am doing wrong or if Force Command can't be used with this core at the moment. Any help would be great!

Cheers [emoji4]
Set the rom type to the large rom

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk