IGNORED

Lynx Longevity vs. Other Options

gilsaluki

I have several Lynx units and love them all.  I got my first Lynx package in 91 or so.  Now with them getting really old and I am terrible with a soldering iron (butchered attempt to revive a Lynx I), I was thinking what to do for the far future. I love handheld gaming.  With the Analogue Pocket (expensive and not yet here) and the Blaze Entertainment's unit out now, I was thinking of investing in one.  Both have their PROS/CONS.  For the price to fix the power supply, recap, and McWill a unit, the total cost is near what an Analogue Pocket with Docking unit and Lynx Adapter (assuming all goes well and they are available), is now appealing to me.  Thoughts?

For me, if its not playing on an actual lynx, its emulation. And I feel no need to have a pocket emulator or ready made emulation device over the free PC emulators (afterall, I don't really play lynx on the go these days). In that regard, I'm interested in keeping my lynx going as long as possible within a reasonable cost, but even now, I find myself more often than not just playing some lynx on the PC with a game controller than digging my lynx unit out.

• Like 1

I think emulation is fine as long as you keep in mind that some -- not all games -- in the Lynx library were coded to take advantage of the Lynx's design. That uniquely ambidextrous layout really does facillitate gameplay for some titles, and I can't imagine playing Klax without the vertical orientation. 

I'm not going to touch the Analogue until its promised Lynx components are actually available for purchase. The Evercade is not a substitute for the Lynx for me. I have two McWill'd units at the moment, and, now that we have SD cards, am perfectly happy playing the software on original hardware.

• Like 1

it depends on how close the experience is to that which the developer intended. we've been able to play lynx games on emulation machines for literal years now. Think PSP, stuff like that. Sure it works but it's not the SAME.

I love the FEEL of a real lynx and combined with a McWill screen and multi-cart it's bliss.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, Zeptari1 said:

I’d love to see a Lynx 3 system make. 
A spiritual successor to the first one’s. Made with the best components available now. 

That would be ideal.  Bright beautiful screen.  Keep the basic controls layout of the Lynx II, maybe a tad less fat. a long lasting rechargeable battery would be nice.  Maybe a way to connect to larger monitor/TV.   We can wish, but I fear the market may not be there.  More new games on physical cards would be grand as well.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

That would be ideal.  Bright beautiful screen.  Keep the basic controls layout of the Lynx II, maybe a tad less fat. a long lasting rechargeable battery would be nice.  Maybe a way to connect to larger monitor/TV.   We can wish, but I fear the market may not be there.  More new games on physical cards would be grand as well.    

I'd love to see a modern reimagining of the Lynx with the features you described, along with these:

• Slim and easily pocketable--something approximately the size and shape of a Sony PSP would be just right
  • Include some popular Lynx games built-in
  • Include a slot to use actual Lynx cartridges (for those who have them)
  • If they're using emulation, also include some familiar games from other Atari platforms (arcade, Atari 2600, etc.) to increase the marketability and value
  • Include a ComLynx port (or a wireless emulated option) so that we can play multiplayer games

I've got some interest in the Analogue pocket, but I'd like to know how they plan on handling vertically-oriented games (such as Klax, as @davidcalgary29 mentioned), as well as multiplayer.

I also think Evercade looks neat, and I'm happy to see the Lynx compilation packs for it. It would be awesome if the makers could produce a "Lynx game adapter" for enthusiasts that would utilize their Lynx emulator, but allow you to insert your own cartridges, and connect in a ComLynx cable.