IGNORED

Rf to rca or composite adapter

maxdrive

VCR works for me as well. I find that there is a small downgrade in picture quality, but it's not really noticeable. I'm sure that everyone has a broken VCR in a basement or closet somewhere that eats tapes but still demodulates, and all we need for this is the demodulation. If you have some money to burn and also want a low-lag HDMI solution (Flat Panels usually have laggy AV signals), devices like the RetroTink, OSSC, and Framemeister can convert older cables to HDMI with nearly zero lag.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, nyandeyanen said:

I'd recommend skipping the cheap mods and going UAV first. It may cost a bit more up front, but the output is far cleaner on both component and S-Video and the colors are brighter in my experience. The S-Video output pairs perfectly with the RetroTink 2X as well. You do need to wire the audio yourself separately, but that's not hard.

You are so right! Following your advice, I just wanted to note that the combination of the Ultimate Atari Video (UAV) board with S-Video and RetroTINK 2X-MINI make the Atari 7800 look great over HDMI. I can also see merit using this with composite video if there are any games that rely on artifact color, like Tower Topple. (Perhaps there are other games too?)

For anyone who tries this combination, here's what COMB switch settings seemed to work best, albeit only very slightly:

Best picture (without composite artifact colors): UAV+S-Video+RT 2X-MINI with the recessed COMB switch set to "Retro" to disable the S-Video mode high frequency luma filter 

Excellent picture (allowing composite artifact colors): UAV+composite video+RT 2X-MINI with the recessed COMB switch set to "Auto" to enable the composite mode automatic 5-line comb filter

It's a toss-up for me between the FILTER button setting for normal (clearly see all the blocky pixels) and smoothed modes (removes most of the jaggies).

• Like 1