IGNORED

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

moycon

This is probably 5 years too late but I just started playing the game thanks to a YouTube personality that listed it in his top 10 lived in game worlds.

I've never been a big Assassin's Creed fan, only playing a couple of past games maybe a couple hours. I didn't think they were terrible, but they also didn't captivate me enough to keep playing.

I've probably played Syndicate the most and I like it. It kind of reminds of newer Tomb Raider games in some parts. I've heard terrible things about past Assassin's Creeds games in the past (glitches, bugs, etc..) but haven't encountered anything like that so far. Anyone else play this game? Do you like it? Are there better games in the series? 

Gameplay-wise, I think the Assassin's Creed games have continued to improve even beyond Syndicate. Origins may be my favorite from a gameplay perspective. In terms of story, the Ezio trilogy (AC II, Brotherhood, and Revelations) are my favorites. I did enjoy Syndicate, though, as it finally allowed you to play as a female protagonist and I liked the setting.

I think the worst offender with regard to glitches and bugs was Assassin's Creed Unity. Fortunately, I didn't play it at launch, so most of the issues that people had when it was released had been patched.

This constant whining about "bugs & glitches" is a bane of modern PC gaming. Many decent titles have been review bombed because of something that is completely normal and pretty harmless. Big modern games are really complex, and will always have some bugs, even with extensive beta testing. But these bugs are hardly ever game breaking, usually just some performance issues which get patched up pronto. You'd think pcmasterrace could grasp such a simple concept, alas...

I've always liked the AO games. I haven't played them all, just a few, and never finished one, but they were good fun nonetheless. The first title was quite groundbreaking. My favourite is Black Flag, and the one with Da Vinci. I have a gaming PC again and was thinking about checking out Unity (apparently it's quite gorgeous) and the one set in Egypt, which is supposed to be a full blown RPG now.

The upcoming Valhalla is a bit silly though: does it even have anything to do with the Asssasins? Seems just like they are shoehorning  Vikings (who are the new zombies) into that universe, and they should've just started a new franchise.

Certain mechanics of AC though have been broken since the first game, and I've just started orgins and it's the first game where I've felt certain issues is not present. I started AC late, I think black flag had already come out when I played 1, which I quite enjoyed, and is quite rough round the edges with gameplay (similar to things like mass effect, there's a game there but there has been certain decisions made since to make it more mainstream). The AC2 saga was memorable from the ezio character perspective. 3 was a mess in my opinion, saved slightly by having a off shoot game liberation which was never a full game. black flag saved it somewhat and the ship mechanics is much improved from 3. In all honesty, if you've liked syndicate but not early ones, black flag might not be quite interesting enough but it's certainly the one to take away not no.3. Unity was known as a buggy mess, but the storyline and characters was pretty meh as well. Syndicate saved it for me too, there was some very British styled humour into the sibling relationship and generally in the game. Like a lot of people, I played with the woman almost all the time I could save fixed times you have to play the guy.

I'm on origins now and it feels much more open world. If syndicate was AC+GTA, then origins is AC+Skyrim. That might factor whether you think its worth a go. I've heard even better things from odyssey but I need to finish origins first! 

Hope that helps without revealing much. 

Edited by Mikebloke

I've continued playing this, I've only played as a guy except for missions where I didn't have a choice. I may switch off though I think. The world does feel very lived in which is mainly why I bought it. Although unlike say Skyrim, most people can't be interacted with except maybe to push them out of the way. LOL  It's still great fun. I haven't really played the older ones enough to have any opinion of them. I do have several of them I was always going to play, but you know how that goes. I have 100's of games like that! 

On 10/25/2020 at 1:47 AM, moycon said:

I've continued playing this, I've only played as a guy except for missions where I didn't have a choice. I may switch off though I think. The world does feel very lived in which is mainly why I bought it. Although unlike say Skyrim, most people can't be interacted with except maybe to push them out of the way. LOL  It's still great fun. I haven't really played the older ones enough to have any opinion of them. I do have several of them I was always going to play, but you know how that goes. I have 100's of games like that! 

Syndicate does indeed feel a lot more fleshed out, there is plenty of NPC's hanging around, it feels "busy" and gives you the atmosphere of being in victorian london. Playing a bit more of origins, which is based in 2050ish year ago Egypt, you get random NPC's shouting dialogue at you, which your character responds to, but its fixed and not choice based. So to a certain degree there is more "immersion" but not mass effect / elder scrolls level.

15 hours ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Count me in as a Syndicate fan! Hey moycon, you might get a giggle out of my trip ....

Wow that was a very cool video! I've never been to London but recognize many of those places from the game. Syndicate really is a beautiful game. Video game worlds have come a long way!

Syndicate is underrated and it managed to deliver on promise of the new game engine that was introduced in Unity.  Unity felt half-baked in most every way, but Syndicate feels very polished.  If anything, I feel like Syndicate gets dinged for feeling too much like an Assassin's Creed game, but that glosses over the execution of the game itself.  Also, as a sandbox, it has a pleasant pace and length.  It's purely subjective, but I found the length (and size) of Odyssey crossed a line--and the game felt self-indulgent.  Syndicate's London is a much more manageable space and length and it manages to feel more genuinely "alive" than Odyssey ever does.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 4:01 PM, wongojack said:

Wow, I've played the series from the beginning, but never heard some one pick out Syndicate as anything exceptional. 

That all changed with the creation of this thread! 

I'm a completest and like to explore and find everything in an area of a game until I move on to the next. I was having trouble getting all the glitches in the first area, to the point I had to look it up. It made sense I was missing the grappling hook. I always thought the characters moved around similar to Spider Man, more so now that I have that grappling hook! Of course Spider Man never ran around assassinating people in the street!

• Like 1