IGNORED

Can't get the keys off keyboard to clean

cbmeeks

Hello all.  Been absent for a while but I thought I would restore one of my beige TI's this weekend.

I get to the keyboard (Mitsumi) and noticed I cannot pull the keys off.  I tried several different ones but they aren't budging.

Now, I could use a lot of force and probably make something happen but my fear is that I will break something.

Have any of you ever had this?  The keyboard is really dirty and I suppose I could clean the keys while connected but I don't feel that is thorough enough.

Thanks.

Hello all.  Been absent for a while but I thought I would restore one of my beige TI's this weekend.

I get to the keyboard (Mitsumi) and noticed I cannot pull the keys off.  I tried several different ones but they aren't budging.

Now, I could use a lot of force and probably make something happen but my fear is that I will break something.

Have any of you ever had this?  The keyboard is really dirty and I suppose I could clean the keys while connected but I don't feel that is thorough enough.

Thanks.

You remove the back board by removing all the screws and desolder the alpha lock key connections. The keys do not come apart.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Considering the membrane is enclosed in the keyboard case, you could use a waterpick for an especially nasty looking unit.  I find that Windex and Q-Tips work well.  Seriously, if all the keys are working on a Mitsumi keyboard count your blessings.  You know the old saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it, just clean it."

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Considering the membrane is enclosed in the keyboard case, you could use a waterpick for an especially nasty looking unit.  I find that Windex and Q-Tips work well.  Seriously, if all the keys are working on a Mitsumi keyboard count your blessings.  You know the old saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it, just clean it."

I share that opinion as well.  I recently restored an Amiga 2000 keyboard and noticed that some of the keys were pulling some of the stem out.  So I just cleaned in situ.  I guess I will do the same for this keyboard.

Also, I have no idea if it even works...lol.  So I will find out soon.

Thanks.

I think all depends on the model of the beige keyboard.  I have ones that are not the membrane version that are very similar to the original black keyboards but are beige and they come off with no issue and have the littler copper fingers just like the black ones.  Then I also have a couple of the membrane keyboards that the keys do not come off.

• Like 1