IGNORED

XEP80

hloberg

It would certainly be an...interesting choice for a hardware project. I'm not sure that anyone would want to replicate the unusual (ie. limited) architecture of the XEP80 when so many other directions could (and should have) perhaps been pursued.

I'd first get rid of the joystick connection, and make it a true PBI/ECI "plug 'n play" device. And I'd certainly would have wanted some type of graphics co-processor to create true, usable  640x240 bitmapped graphics instead of the squashed, crippled graphics 8 we (sort of) got with the XEP80. You'd then have to assemble a team to ensure compatibility with software that does not solely use graphics 0 or 8 (or 8 + 16), or could not originally access screen commands in BASIC (like DRAWTO) with the XEP80. Because surely this new device would support all the other native graphics modes, right?

Parallel port? I mean, it was nice to include it as a bonus, but it's really not used much these days. Let's replace that with a SIO2USB port combo. And a couple of extra SIO ports would be nice for daisy-chaining.

I haven't tried my XEP80 on a modern LCD, but we could surely do better than its standard output. Something like the Brewing Academy's BoB box would be great, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be without really complicating this type of project.

And...yeah. I think I'll stick with my VBXE-modded XEGS and modern peripherals. :)

hum. I always like the XEP80 and it's odd design choice. yes it's slow and limited but still, any Atari 400 to XEGS could use it. RaPi is an interesting thought as a replacement. thing is, I'm not sure there is much info out about the XEP80 and would need to be reverse engineered which wouldn't be worth it. (Of course if there is info out there...)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hloberg said:

hum. I always like the XEP80 and it's odd design choice. yes it's slow and limited but still, any Atari 400 to XEGS could use it. RaPi is an interesting thought as a replacement. thing is, I'm not sure there is much info out about the XEP80 and would need to be reverse engineered which wouldn't be worth it. (Of course if there is info out there...)

I'm curious -- what are you looking for?

I'm curious too, what is the use case for 80 columns on the 8bit?  I can think of TLW (which has its own software 80 col mode), 80 column terminal for running CP/M on your Indus if you have that set up, BBSing in 80 columns, Atariwriter 80 (but wouldn't you just use TLW?).  I totally understand it could just be for fun and nostalgia, which is 100% legit, I'm just curious...

Hello guys

The XEP80 is not slow, the software written for it is slow.  And I don't mean the firmware.  Plus the chip inside supports 64k x 16 bits and as many bits for each color as you want.  The datasheet of that chip plus a lot of other info about the XEP80 can be found right here on my special stuff page.  Don't forget to check out the three files at the top!

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 8bitguy1 said:

I'm curious too, what is the use case for 80 columns on the 8bit?

Running a decent file manager:

obraz.thumb.png.ea36a69b8812ea25290f9d7cbe5b9eae.png

Viewing directories under DOS in their full width:

obraz.thumb.png.88d7e4cdd8a175b3c9472c6dce83a5b8.png

Reading documentation files:

obraz.thumb.png.76e41e9e9b1edbb4f9e13431beb10de2.png

Viewing Atari ST VT-52 animations: :D

obraz.thumb.png.0677bd000c3371d9225ff98d9921e576.png

Programming:

obraz.thumb.png.1ddd8da5ec181c723d365b090915519f.png

Editing documentation files with TLW of course.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, drac030 said:

Running a decent file manager:

obraz.thumb.png.ea36a69b8812ea25290f9d7cbe5b9eae.png

Viewing directories under DOS in their full width:

obraz.thumb.png.88d7e4cdd8a175b3c9472c6dce83a5b8.png

Reading documentation files:

obraz.thumb.png.76e41e9e9b1edbb4f9e13431beb10de2.png

Viewing Atari ST VT-52 animations: :D

obraz.thumb.png.0677bd000c3371d9225ff98d9921e576.png

Programming:

obraz.thumb.png.1ddd8da5ec181c723d365b090915519f.png

Editing documentation files with TLW of course.

What are you using for your display?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, drac030 said:

These example screenshots are made on Altirra. My actual monitor is Commodore 1085S.

So what hardware was that?  Also curious about that file manager... (Starting to get into more and more daily use again on the A8 and was pondering the 80 col options....)

49 minutes ago, drac030 said:

The video hardware is VBXE (RGB output, on real CRT almost as sharp as on the emulator screenshots above). The file manager there is Sparta Commander, for SpartaDOS X.

Thank you.  Been seriously considering a VBXE for at least one of the machines.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stephen said:

VBXE + SDX will complete transform the way you think about these machines - I guarantee it!

I still wish someone would re-package the VBXE hardware into something that could plug into the empty slots of an Incognito-equipped 800. :)

• Like 7

I think a PBI or ECI VBXE might be possible with pickoffs on the motherboard for extra needed signals.

Maybe a simpler passthru for Antic with ribbon carrying the ANx signals.  In theory the CSync should be able to be generated independantly rather than taking it off the motherboard.

I wish for a VBXE device with more modern outputs. No scan doublers etc needed.  Hate to say it, but HDMI even with licensing fees would be something I'd probably pay for. Pal/NTSC color switching too. Right now I'm gaming on my XEL instead of the XLD because the VBXE changes the look of games too much, and my old LCD monitor isn't as bright and colorful as either my CRT or modern monitors. 

I haven't figured out how to use the 80 column mode yet. Wasn't exactly sure if I was in hardware or software 80 on TLW. 

Hello Allan

34 minutes ago, Allan said:

How about re-creating one of the 80-column cards for the 800 like the Bit-3. These are rare and a lot of 800 owner's would love to have one.

I'd much prefer something that the XL/XE can use too.  In hardware, not software 80 column emulation like the ACE80(XL).

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Hello hloberg

1 hour ago, hloberg said:

... plus you got to give the engineers at Atari credit fro such a novel idea.  

What they did at Atari to get to the product we now know as the XEP80 can be compared to putting a V10 engine from a Dodge Viper in an AMC Pacer, pulling the spark plugs out of 7 of the 10 cilinders and removing one of the front wheels.  It'll run, but not to the full potential of the engine.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello hloberg

What they did at Atari to get to the product we now know as the XEP80 can be compared to putting a V10 engine from a Dodge Viper in an AMC Pacer, pulling the spark plugs out of 7 of the 10 cilinders and removing one of the front wheels.  It'll run, but not to the full potential of the engine.

Sincerely

Mathy

Monochrome output from a colour chip and a video standard so far out of spec, not a single monitor on earth can display all of the screen.  Definitely sounds like a winner to me!

• Haha 3