IGNORED

what to do with ultra common carts?

unoclay

A problem I'm sure many of us have.....that stack of old "Commons"---i.e. 5200 carts that are in no way valuable, nobody wants, and really, do you need 3 copies of Super Break Out in your gaming center?

Through various donations and purchases, I've ended up with:

2 extra pac man

1 extra missile command

1 extra keystone kapers (may not work)

1 extra super breakout

1 countermeasure

2 pole position 

1 realsports soccer

1  centipede

Any good ideas, artistic or otherwise, for what to do with them? 

I dont need any more drink coasters and literally dont know anyone trying to start a new 5200 collection from scratch.  And strongly dislike just "filing" things in the basement for "in case"---the "files" are quite deep enough already......

On 10/26/2020 at 8:43 AM, TwoShedsWilson said:

Honestly, I still don't have most of these. 

I'd be glad to send you some of them for the cost of shipping, plus a buck or two.    Would be happy to rehome them. 

Not sure if Keystone works.  Could re-polish it and try again if you cared about that one.  Love KK, but i have a working copy and this one never seems to load.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 7:46 PM, unoclay said:

A problem I'm sure many of us have.....that stack of old "Commons"---i.e. 5200 carts that are in no way valuable, nobody wants, and really, do you need 3 copies of Super Break Out in your gaming center?

2 extra pac man

1 extra missile command

1 extra super breakout

1 countermeasure

2 pole position 

1 realsports soccer

1  centipede

I dont need any more drink coasters and literally dont know anyone trying to start a new 5200 collection from scratch.  And strongly dislike just "filing" things in the basement for "in case"---the "files" are quite deep enough already......

I literally started my 5200 collection from scratch on Saturday. My initial pickup is a two port and four port system, two controllers, Pacman, Countermeasure, Qbert, Centipede and Dig Dug. I cleaned the 2 port system and stole the controller panel cover off of the four port system. I did this because neither came with a power supply and I found a suitable 9v 2.5A power supply at Menards. The system powers up fine, all carts but Qbert work well and the joysticks are in terrible shape. I ordered two new mylar flex circuits for the joysticks to see if I can bring them back to life. They each sort-of work and don't appear impossible to fix. The system is very touch sensitive and will require some testing and probably some replacement parts. I'll build a power system for the 4 port this winter and see how it plays. Until then I'll start adding carts and making my rounds at the stores for a 7800 to show up and finish my list. I have 2600, 5200, intellivision and colecovision. I'll stop at the  7800 and jump forward to the VCSW from there. One immediate thing I do need are boots for the controllers. Are they available anywhere?

@DidSomeoneSayAtari?I'm not gonn be any help here---sounds like you're far more technical than me.  I'd say post in the main forum or one of the subs for help with something so technical. Good luck with the collection.  Working with the original controllers is a bear, i hear.  Most of us go with 3rd party controllers or some of the modern solutions (adapters that allow you to use Sega genesis controllers, or other solutions).  The original controllers are just so unreliable and breakable. I have one working one, out of maybe 4 that have bit the dust.

On 10/23/2020 at 8:46 PM, unoclay said:

2 extra pac man

1 extra missile command

1 extra super breakout

1 countermeasure

2 pole position 

1 realsports soccer

1  centipede

Turn them in to the Atari Age store for store credit.

I took my extra commons and opened them, removed the ROM boards for keeping as spares, then sent the shells to the AA store to go towards getting some new games in. It's doing your part to keep it going. :)

I play over 90% of my 5200 on a Rev 7 flexi stick controller and actually hold a few HSC records still. They ain't that bad :P

Just to put a bow on this, I'd emailed AA store asking if they wanted the carts, but never received a reply....

I did get a side offer from another AA user who produces repro carts, and i took him up on it in trade for a repro atari 800 cart (O'Riley's Mine, looked fun).  

So im happy.  Emptied out some shelf space AND a "new" game!

• 2 weeks later...